RSS Feed Print
Help with adult children
Tconn
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 8:45 PM

I was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia several years ago. About a year and a half ago my wife of 34 years passed away from acute myeloid leukemia. She was also my designated carer. Since that time I have been living on my own and seem to be doing pretty good. My question is about my children. All three are married with children and living in different states with one in a different country   They all seem to deal with their mothers death differently from extreme depression to anger and a sense of indifference. My biggest concern is for the one with depression. She has been seeking medical help and is on antidepressants and has even been to counseling but she isn’t able to shake off the grief and is feeling guilty that she is not here for me. I have assured her that I am doing okay and for her to continue with any medication she might need. But I am very worried about her emotional state. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to help her get through this crisis?
Vik
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 10:59 PM

Tcon, do you know if her community has a hospice service, as our local Hospice House has grief support groups that i myself hav gone to.  It helped me SO MUCH when i was dealing with my dads passing. Depending on how much energy you hav, you could lookup to see if her community has Hospice, and then call them to get info for her. Dependimg on ur situation and hers, you could either giv her the info OR suggest she call them about gettimg her own info. 

Im glad shes on meds and had some counsellimg.  U didnt say how long she was in therapy, but she mite need some more. Everyone grieves in their own way and time. There are several stages of grief that you and your kids are going thru, and each one of you are going to go thru each stage at different times and different ways.

I dont know if this has helped you in anyway, but know that u are in my prayers tonite!  God Bless...

Vik
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 11:03 PM

P.S.  the grief support groups thru hospice are FREE and i think.only last 6 wks.

Good luck with ur Lewy Bodies. After ALL the rsearch ive done on Lewy Bodies, i thimk i may hav a MIXED diagnosis of Vascular demwntia and Lewy Bodies. Going to ask my neurologist at next appt.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:14 AM

Welcome Tconn.  I am sorry to learn of your wife's passing.  Vik's idea about grief counseling for your daughter sounds good. Does she want you to move in with her, or vice versa?

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:36 PM

Welcome to our world Tconn. I'm so glad you found our site. You have received good advice in regards to your daughter.

What are your own plan for when you need help?  Do you have funds for Assisted Living?  Having daughter change her life to move and take care of you or have you move in with her can be problematic. Lewy Body has many different aspects.