RSS Feed Print
ANYONE IN SEATTLE?
ninafortier
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:43 AM

I tried to go to the lgbt caregiver support group in seattle and no one was there. I'm wondering if anyone is in the area and would like to start another group? 

I'm a long distance caregiver for my father who lives in San Francisco and I am looking to move him into medicaid assisted living in Seattle. I have a lot of questions and would love to talk to other queer people who are doing  care work.

Looking forward to connecting! 

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:37 PM

Hello ninafortier, and a very warm welcome to you.  I have read your Profile, and it seems you are facing quite a challenge; your father is blessed to have you in his corner advocating for him.  

While the Alzheimer's Assn. has provided this Forum for LGBT folks, it is not that well attended.  Reason for this is, the greatest batch of information communication is found on the Caregiver Forum as well as the Spousal Forum.

We have some LGBT Members, but they have chosen to communicate on the other Forums. If you are looking for input regarding helping your father make a move, and in learning more about the challenges of placement, other problem solving, etc., then Posting on the Caregivers Forum will give you the best input.

Please do know that our LGBT Members have been welcomed with open arms by the other Members in support, no problem there; and there is much to share and gain from the experiential wisdom of others who are farther down the trail in this journey.

In San Francisco, there is a group called, Family Caregiver  Alliance, they have much information and contacts for family Caregivers; their link is at:

https://www.caregiver.org/

The Alzheimer's Assn. also has a Helpline at (800) 272-3900; if you call, please ask to speak to a Care Consultant. There are no fees for this service. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are very supportive, have much information, can give you contact numbers for Assn. offices in your and your father's areas and can often assist us with our problem solving.  Your local office may well have information regarding multiple support group locations.

I send warm thoughts your way as you begin preparation for your father's move; please do feel free to come and join in on the Caregiver's Forum if you wish, I so hope all goes well.

J.