RSS Feed Print
Information For New Hired Caregivers
annie789
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 4:05 PM

I have a caregiver, a lady I have known for years, coming in 3 afternoons a week but I will soon be needing to hire more caregivers to help me.  I am in the process of making a list of information the new caregiver should know about our house, my husband, etc. 

Things like: TV channels he likes to watch; it is ok to let him go outside by himself but be sure you keep an eye on him; do not allow any one else in the house – none of your friends or family; no salesmen; no neighbors, etc. while I am gone.

Does anyone have any thing to add to my list.  With my first helper I just kept telling her things I wanted her to know as I would think of them but it would be easier on me to just have a list of information.  Thanks for any help or tips you have.

Jgiles9289
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 6:10 AM

I did the same thing and made an introduction letter.  My mother has progressive aphasia along with ALZ so has lost a significant amount of vocabulary early on.   I made sure to include her history, her late husbands name, career etc.  I also mentioned several places/memories associated that my mother might attempt to communicate so they could anticipate.  For example, where my father is buried in case my mother tried getting the caregiver to drive that way.  Where she used to work, the gym she frequented etc.   Her favorite tv shows, foods, restaurants, activities.  I also learned that my fantastic caregiver figured a lot of things out on her own and got my mom to do new things go new places and enjoy new tv shows.  My husband gets her to sit and watch golf or other sports with him for long periods of time because she enjoys his company so she does things she wouldn't normally be interested in.
annie789
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 12:33 PM

Thanks, Jgiles!  I appreciate you taking the time to give me all your tips!

Did you have anything on your list that your caregiver should not do- in the house or with your Mother?

Thanks again

Suziesb
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:52 PM

Annie,

Don't be afraid to set boundaries with the caregiver. I have been too nice with our full time caregiver and if I ever change to a new one I will be more firm. I'm actually trying to now, but I feel this one has gotten used to the leniency. She comes late almost every day, and she's pretty lazy. Mom sleeps a lot during the day so the caregiver is on her cell phone or watching movies during the day. She has it pretty nice for the pay she's getting. I was very unhappy Friday when I got home when this happened, however.

She knows that my mom is to have two showers a week, but Friday when I got home from work she told me that mom didn't want to have one so she didn't get a second one for the week. I wasn't happy because that meant she was going to have to wait all weekend since I have a torn shoulder tendon, and told her this. She actually said, "Can't your daughter do it this weekend?" 

What?? It is NOT my daughter's responsibility. Also, my mom is very sweet and would have easily agreed to a shower if the caregiver had tried harder. I am sure it was laziness. 

I'm getting close to letting her go due to this and some other things, like opening our mail! That was pretty bad but only happened once. She is very immature and knows no boundaries. I have to keep reining her in, and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Sorry to vent.

I've kept this one on primarily because my mom likes her and I feel she's safe with her. Which is huge.

bela
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 1:42 PM

It might sound crazy but go through the alphabet 

Have one list for the house: example 

medication  list  Include poison control telephone number

Example 10 am XX pill. Must take with food. Yogurt, cereal, scrambled eggs, applesauce, muffin and butter or other breakfast items can be used. 

His activity/interest lists

Food lists/preferences 

His daily routine. 

Emergency contact list  

annie789
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 1:54 PM

Susiesb,  I fully understand what you are talking about which is the reason why I am making up a list of information for the caregiver.  The helper I have now has been coming since the first part of October last year and being a friend / acquaintance I was very lax with her the first few months.  However, I was really fed up with her tardiness and no shows at the last minute so I cancelled her hours one week and the next week explained that  I needed a helper that was here on time and on the scheduled days. 

She has been early ever since and not missed one day.  In her defense she is not lazy and works really hard around the house cleaning and helping in so many ways but the stress of the tardiness and no shows was beginning to get to me. 

Thanks for your help!

Johns baby girl
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 11:14 AM

I have the most recent "visit summary" from his primary care visit which includes a diagnosis list and med list with his DNR and instructions for calling 911 and a calling tree of people closest in the event I cannot answer immediately (ie: at the dentist).

annie789
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:35 PM

Thanks for the great ideas!  I do have a  looseleaf notebook that has all the pertinent information in it for our children should something happen to me.  I have it on my desk and have shown our adult kids and the caregiver too.  In it I have -- DPOA for medical, living wills, copy of cards from hubby's wallet; addresses, phone numbers of doctors, emergency contacts etc.

I think I will put a copy of his latest neuro visit eval in there too. And Bela, I think I will put his medication list in there. 

basilia
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:01 PM

Greetings my dear

My name is Basilia Jackson a lady from U.S, i saw your profile and become interested in knowing you please contact

me in my email address as a friend

(basiliajackson028@gmail.com)