RSS Feed Print
doing better, getting hair cut off, the boredom issue
alz+
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:08 PM

Hey.

I am doing better. Expect very little from anyone now, should make life a lot easier.

Today I vacuumed the rugs and going to have my hair cut off. Trying to Pass For Normal thing, do I have to tell hairdresser I have ALZ? No, but probably will in 30 seconds or less. I wrote down on paper that I'm a little deaf.

Hope this is as helpful as living with less stuff. 

Just wanted to thank you all again for your support and doses of reality.

To new people, you are learning how to live with conditions instead of them pushing you around and making you despair or fill with anxiety.

Boredom is factor that plays big in my life - the years I spent rock hunting were great, that was perfect, I am digging up small rocks in yard here now.

Would like to be painting, have to get paints I guess to do that so kind of think I never will.

Gardening at any level, even having 1 plant is good. I also love hanging laundry out to dry and folding laundry, it is like a meditative state.

We have to invent our own activities. distractions. Only universal advice might be to stay open to new things, ideas on what would make life more interesting and what you can still enjoy.

love and courage

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 4:03 PM

I have more than enough art supplies.....I would love to send some. If yes the PM me an address.

Really, I would love to have someone using them...they just sit in a big box. They were used little by grandchildren who are now grown.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 4:42 PM

Doing better?  Great to know!  All that you mention, rock collecting, gardening, doing laundry, among other activities, are great for people like us.  

I'm glad you introduced me to rock collecting and to cloud-looking.  I brought home a nice rock souvenir from Juno Beach of WWII fame when I was in Normandy.  A few years ago I picked up a rock painting kit from an after-Christmas sale.  I haven't used it yet, but I look forward to painting some rocks.  I have a small collection of rocks from my travels overseas.  Also, people here have started setting up rock gardens instead of lawns, since we are in a drought area.

I agree, boredom is to be avoided.  When you are more settled, you will find more to engage in.  For now, it might be nice to just enjoy a sense of SATISFACTION about all that you have accomplished since the beginning of this year! Happy First Day of Summer!

Iris

alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 7:01 PM

JfkOC - 

I am  going to be cautious about accepting art stuff cause I still have a ton at my house and NEVER used them. Maybe better to donate the box closer to you.

The inertia thing doesn't keep me from saying I  "want" to paint - but don't. There is a blank wall outdoors that I am looking at, it would take house paint though and I have 25 half gallons of paint at home too for spots I could have done a mural but never did.

( just called my faraway house soon to be sold "home" again ) 

Iris - thanks for recognizing the huge success in small stuff! Rocks look so different when wet, I joined an online group and learned a lot about geology, how to identify rocks, and people would polish them and paint them. 

Some of the things seem too simple for people who have had successful and important work, careers.  I know many of us worked giving speeches, helping the ALZ organizations near them, and many have traveled. Some people did really well doing the RV thing. Anything in nature, bird feeding, walks in woods, cloud watching, photography, fishing, making a Koi pond, - or going to classes, exercise, dance, local college courses, - or volunteer to do something for neighbors, animal shelters, local ALZ organizations, or go to local ball games, canoe, feed ducks at parks...

Washing a car can even be a joy if you relax about, music or not, taking the time to do the interior and tires.  At first it seems like NO! then the anxiety and problems from boredom get worse and this kind of stuff is really the treatment.

Slow stuff calms my mind. Physical activity helps me sleep, sleep equals a better next day.  It seems I learned to build a new life, my dog is a huge help.

love you all

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 7:38 PM

Slow stuff is wonderful!  It is a meditation and an activity.  I am able to accomplish what I do accomplish by taking it s-l-o-w!

The inertia remains a problem.  I don't know how much is inertia and how much is fatigue.  When I need to do something, I am able to do it, even though I don't really feel up to doing anything.  Tomorrow I will wash my car.

AAlz+, look into getting Access--subsidized transportation for the disabled.  They will take you to appointments and to the market and back. 

Iris

Unforgiven
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 1:02 PM

Alz, I hate, loathe and despise folding laundry.  Learning Konmari foldingvhelped for a bit, but I stillbwould rather snake out drains with my fingernails than fold the laundry.  If mailing you my stuff fresh from the dryer and you mailing it back folded were feasible, I would do it, but we'll just have to pretend. 

DS and I are reshinglig the roof on our garage/hay barn as fast as age and hot weather will allow.  I haven't even had time yet to properly groom our new horse.  That is unbelievably good stress therapy.  Brushing my dear, sweet late Ginger got me through the hard times with my mother.  Brushing Blue will be the same. As Ronald Reagan used to say, the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

Short hair is good.  It doesn't strangle you in bed.  Anything that makes life simpler is good, alongvwith anything that makes life richer, like your dog.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 5:16 PM

Unforgiven, I have "learn Kon Marie folding" on my to do list for the summer.  Ha ha!  I have two long-haired cats.  Grooming them could be a meditation, like currying the horseThanks for this idea.

Alz+, I have been reading the caregiver boards for a while.  Most focus on basics, like safety.  A few focus on lifestyle.  I can mention Tess and His Daughter.  Tess took her mom around and made sure she enjoyed herself while she was still able to get out.  His Daughter made her dad's caregiving team his "entertainment committee."  I have decided that this is what I want for myself--to have good times, and to be entertained.   I will do this for myself.  I will not rely on others to figure out what I want or what is meaningful to me.  Their focus is on other things, things I am less able to focus on.  At the same time, my focus for myself will also be on maintaining my independence for as long as possible.

I think a lot of PWDs and families attempt to continue life as it used to be, instead of seeking a new type of life.  I know, a new type of life is definitely scary!  But if we can teach ourselves to look at the new life and examine the new life, we might come to a new awareness of how we can live a fulfilling life for ourselves.  This is what I learned from you, Alz+. Gracias!

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 9:42 AM

Alz+ How about just tin of water colors, a couple of paint brushes and some colored pencils. Nothing you could not keep in a show box You could sit outside in your chair and sketch.
Unforgiven
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 12:05 PM

That's the beauty of Youtube, Iris.  You can learn everything from Kon mari folding to carpentry to painting along with Bob Ross.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth ten thoussnd pictures becsuse you see someone doing what you want to learn.  Like everything in life, you need to be selective in what you watch, but I have learned so much.

My cats always get worked up when I brush them and get all bitey after about five strokes.  The worst my horses have done is to break wind at me to drive me off.

Did you used to paint in oils, Alz?  I painted with wstercolors during my Art studies in college, but there was just something so satisfying about working the oils together.  There's oil crayons too, for the sketching.  My life seems to be my canvas now.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 11:56 AM

Unforgiven - horses! bottle the aroma, animals seem to calm me down.

Yes, send me laundry! I worked in a laundry for 2 years and loved it, the smell, the process of washing clothes and handing back a mess turned into clean, fresh, neatly boxed clothing, sheets, whatever.

I got great hair cut and did say some edgy things but hairdresser was a real sport about it.

JFKOC - If you really want me to take your water colors I will send you my address. I have never been good at them so that helps me relax. I have not sketched in ages, still take lots of photos with my phone.

Iris - thanks for inf from cgvrs. I call my agitation and stuff BOREDOM. The idea of getting a ride places sounds good but I panic. I really don't think I trust myself anymore to be in public alone.

When I was married to Keeper I could go anywhere because he automatically held my hand, when I would start to get overwhelmed he automatically opened one arm for me to "come in close". He also massaged my legs and hands everyday and without that, plus the new living situation, the physical aspects are building. My handwriting is scribble and my legs are stiff and shaky. When I forget cbd oil I do not walk but stay in bed.

Have appointment to meet doctor in 2 weeks and wonder if there are any ??? meds or what else for leg spasms. Muscle relaxants also stop my intestines from working and I wet everything, a trade off not worth it at this point. I try to work on a list to hand her but it makes me panic. I think I have not recovered from blow up here, walking on eggshells, knowing I came here.

I could not assemble a puzzle, tried for over a month, 15 pieces (3 years ago!).

My kids are realizing it is time to stop asking me to do stuff, closed an account after 6 months of trying to figure out how and they sent me a cashiers check. I could not cash the check, can not figure out bill pay anymore - even with autopayments set up I am just confounded looking at numbers.

So daughter is at my house by herself sorting and cleaning, my son is setting things up now to handle money/bills, he puts $500 a month in Habib's bank account to cover groceries starting soon.

love and courage

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:43 PM

Yippee....PM your address and I will send some things!
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:19 AM

I had leg spasms, and although not exactly restless legs syndrome, I discovered that low iron could be a factor.  I supplemented with iron, along with massages and stretching and Epsom salts soaks, and eventually the spasms resolved.

I agree, we have to discover what helps us and also what harms us.  We have to figure out our own treatments.  This is what I think about is being a Dementia Pioneer.  Yes, let the others handle finances, if you can.  It will be a great load off your mind.  Make your life easier and more comfortable! 

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:26 PM

Leg spasms....My PT told me to drink V-8 or tomato juice in the evening.....low sodium. It worked.