RSS Feed Print
Eating Very Slow & Lack of Appetite
Sparkliie
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:21 PM

My DH has late onset AZ the past four years. The decline has been slow until the past month or so.  He is 84. Suddenly he has become very sleepy during the day and seems to have a difficult time staying awake during meals.  The last few days he has taken a long time to eat.  Today, he never did finish his lunch. A sandwich, glass of milk and applesauce. 

Dinner time he only wanted 4 ravioli and a few pieces of broccoli. He as always loved eating, and been alert for meals. 

He does not complain of pain anywhere.  Is he moving into another phase of his AZ? 

He is overweight, so I'm not too worried about his calorie intake, and he takes a multi vitamin everyday. I'm just concerned why this is happening.

zauberflote
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:39 PM

Hi Sparkliie-- my mom, 91, late stages, is just like this! She's been plodding through her meals for a couple of months, but eating very well. Just recently, since a fall/hard knock to the head+some kind of stomach upset, her appetite has waned, and she's less awake. Or awake less of the time I guess. I don't know her every move, as she's in MC, but during my visit today, her eyes were at half mast most of the time, and I'd woken her when I came in. Sitting in that chair, zoning out naturally, no drugs involved for this. Smiling a smile of pure love as she wakes.

Mom is talking in ways that we believe may be preparations for her next journey. The hospice nurse is on the watch for physical signs that we might not catch. She's 91; if she wants to go home, she will. 

Golondrina
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:58 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem with my mom she eats about half of what she used to eat she used like all kinds of junk food and sweets,  not anymore before I had to control what she was eating now I offer it to her and she doesn't wants it or only has a bite. And it takes forever to eat because she watches TV while she is eating even do she doesn't understand what she is watching she loves television and forgets she is eating and god forbid I turn it off she has a feet

She looks ok and doesn't complain of anything she gets annoyed because I keep asking her how she is doing or if something hurts, she doesn't look sick ,so I'm going to leave it that for now 

zauberflote
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 9:12 AM

Golondrina, oh the frustration of watching a LO be distracted while eating! When MIL didn't eat at a mealtime, the wise caregivers would put together a little plate of goodies and leave it on the table next to MIL's recliner. Often if we were there, we'd fix a little something and share it. She'd insist we ate some too, as does Mom. "Mom, you want some chocolate cake for dessert?" "No, I'll watch you eat yours". Mom proceeds to eat 3/4 of the cake. 

Perhaps if eating with the tv on is a no-go, you could perhaps leave some bites around for her to nosh on? If she's hungry, she'll eat?

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 12:16 PM

Agree....grazing with finger food may be a good addition to meals at this time. Additionally adding some protein powder to things like apple sauce/ pudding.
caregiving daughter
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 4:37 PM

Longshot but if your loved one has recently been on antibiotics, he could have thrush in his mouth which would make it uncomfortable to eat. Again if recently medicated, you may want to check into.
Golondrina
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 10:06 PM

I have done it with the water and works very well I leave glasses with water in several places and she drinks the water but it doesn't work with food ,  I'm hoping is one of her periods she goes through at one point she only wanted to drink Diet Coke , not any more now she drinks water and 2 cups of what she thinks is  coffee I make hot milk 1/2 ts instant coffee and sugar she loves that for now ,in a month or two she'll move to something else because that's what she is been doing all this years 

S