RSS Feed Print
Getting family to understand
Merry54
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 2:03 PM

Thanks for being here! Im new to the message board. I have frontal lobe syndrome.

My sister told me the other day she was sure I have ADHD because she's a teacher and has a lot of experience with that. She was the first one of my family that I told. I thought I had been clear about the MRIs, the lab work, the many visits to the neurologist etc.

I explained again but it was pretty hurtful and i feel incredibly alone.

Suggestions?

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 10:21 PM

You're not alone. People forget, or they are so sure what you have is something they know a lot about, because then they can be helpful. There will be more people who have stories to share, probably after the long weekend, please don't despair,the people on this board have been through just about everything.
Chris1207
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 9:29 AM

That's interesting. I took my mom to all her labs, MRi's etc. and the doctor told the both of us in April she has Alzheimers.  For the first few months I was so scared I was in denial too, like your sister.  I told my mom that she was just very stressed from selling her house and the anti -depressants will kick in and she will be fine, and the doctors were wrong.  Yea, I wish, but it is denial and we, as caregivers are trying to find something we are familiar with so we can cope.  Don't feel bad or alone, she will come around.  God bless.
Merry54
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:05 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your strength and hope. 

I forgot I signed up so this was like Christmas in September! 

I think I found my sense of humor...

You don't know how much it means

Cathyde
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:03 PM

hi, my cousin who is a nurse says its pseudo dementia pet scan shows dementia I wish it was all in my head as I am struggling alone 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 8:30 PM

I am alone, too, Cathyde.  It is very difficult.  Beware, you are vulnerable and people will try to take advantage.  

Iris L.

Merry54
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 4:21 PM

People don't want to know. No one gets it. Plus the Alz. place near me has no support groups. Trying to keep my sense of humor...
Regency
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 9:42 PM

My heart goes out to you Merry54 - what area of the country are you in? I wish you were close to my group, we would love to have you.
Gig Harbor
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 10:00 PM

So sorry you are going thru this Merry. One way I created a support group ( my husband has AD ) was to use the name of my town in my login name. 3 ladies contacted me and we began to meet weekly. As we meet other women we invite them to join. There is also a site on Facebook called Memory People that you can request to join. Rick Phelps started it and he has dementia. A lot of people post there.