RSS Feed Print
Anyone tried creating fake checks on amazon? Dad needs fake checkbook
Pirokp
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 5:48 PM

Hi,

I searched all the boards and people talk about giving your loved one a fake checkbook.  My Dad’s checking account will be closed in few days because account is moved into my control.  He is writing checks all the time to organizations requesting money.  It’s his thing.  He sits for several hours each day reading all the junk mail, non-profit organization requests for money, and he sends them checks.  I can’t take away what he is doing because I realize it keeps him busy, he likes it, and he feels like he is doing something of importance.  

I can’t let him write checks on the closed account, I guess that’s actually illegal to do?  I was thinking of having amazon print checks, but instead of the real bank routing number, account number, bank address put something fake?  I still have to put the name of the bank or he might notice.  Anyone tried this?  Did you keep your loved ones name and address on the fake checks?

Thank you!!

Janice.alone
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 7:19 PM

Do you have control over the out-going mail?   If so, you could give him the check book for the closed account and let him write checks to his heart's content, then ditch them on your way to the mailbox.     I don't know how "legal" it would be to actually mail obviously fake checks either.   If some organization did try to deposit them, it could result in bad-check/NSF charges and could come back at dad in a very bad way.
Goodtogo
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 8:50 PM

You should be able to print a page to see if this work.   https://activitiesforkids.com/blank-checks-template/

A few others can be found if you search play checks,

Good luck

Daisylost
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 10:28 PM

Hello Pirokp, ; ) First of all SO Lovely to hear that you know that you want him to continue to be active and doing something he still loves to do! Bravo to you! 

It's very personal, but I am hoping we all know how horrid it is for adult children or other family members to completely take away activities of LO's because they are no longer able to do them "correctly."  I believe that promotes the "empty shell," hurts the brain and empowers the disease : (  

Mom still does stuff like fold towels or make her bed and even if I have to redo it all , it's her thing, she likes it and tries.  

I'm not sure what could happen with fake checks or checks on a closed account being received by an agency.  Would hate the agency to start a beef saying they want the $$.. ^^

I agree with Janice.alone, if you can control the mail, then your'e golden!  

Good luck, 

D

Eric L
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:32 AM

Maybe it’s because we had MILs prayer service and viewing tonight, and I’m feeling a bit more blunt (and grumpy) at the moment, but my advice is that it’s probably best to screen the mail before he gets it and toss all of the charity related mail. We try so hard to find workarounds to help our LOs maintain a sense of dignity, that we often don’t realize that  the workaround is only a temporary solution. If his spending habits are harmful and have the potential to jeopardize money he may need for care in the future, I think it’s best to find a more permanent solution (don’t let him see the mail to begin with) and find another activity that keeps him busy and makes him feel useful.

I believe that keeping them busy and feeling useful is good for their mental health. However, the disease is going to progress whether or not we let them fold laundry or empty the dishwasher. We usually have to step in and take over certain tasks because the disease has progressed to a point that they can’t do it correctly anymore. 

harshedbuzz
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:33 AM

I would do what it takes to extinguish the need to do this rather than risk problems trying to appease your dad. Or find something similar to do. 

If he's been sending donations, it will be difficult to remove him from mass and directed mailings so it will be best to forward all mail to your house or a PO Box. Over time, out of sight will be out of mind.

The problem with your check idea is that dad will use them. This is less of a problem for someone who just wants the security of having checks in her purse. If you have to make them believable and they get into circulation, you could be in a world of hurt in terms of fraud charges and returned check fees. I could see where the real name of the bank and a fake account number could lead to charges. You say dad's too on the ball to be fooled by toys, and what legally constitutes a check is very broad- this could go sideways. To be relieved of that risk, the checks would have to be obviously a toy or educational supply. 

HB
MN Chickadee
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:24 AM

Yeah, that doesn't sound real legal either. I would forward his mail to a PO Box or you instead to get ahead of that problem. Bring any personal mail he should see and put it in his mailbox for him to discover. I would worry the checks will somehow get into a "real"situation and he/you could be in trouble.
mostlyme
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:30 PM

Wow, what a fantastic idea.  And I couldn't agree more with Daisylost.  I think it's important for him to feel as normal as possible to maintain his emotional equilibrium.  

For sure having access to his outgoing mail is the easiest solution.  Barring that, you could sit down with the bank and explain the situation to see what is legal.  If you can go ahead with it, how about this idea... 

Ask you Dad if he got his new checks yet from ABC bank.  Tell him you got yours today and they've changed them so they can get fed into the computers automatically (or some other story).  The next day, put his package of 'new checks' in the mailbox.  You then wouldn't have to put the Bank name on them which might get you in trouble.   If he acts surprised, just say things like "I know mine are the same, they sure do change things don't they - they're just using numbers now - soon we won't be writing checks at all anymore!"  

Good luck to you.  I'd like to know how it all pans out.  Keep us posted!

Pirokp
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 11:41 PM

Thank you!  I am going to forward all the mail to my house and have my husband let me know if anything is important.  In his house now is most likely 6,000 pieces of unopened mail.  I will just put some in his mailbox each day.  I don’t control mail going out, he insists to be driven to the post office and mail it there.  I am going to talk to the bank this week and see what they suggest.  One of you mentioned cutting the bottom part of the check off, so there is no account or routing number.  I might try that now.  Worse case if he notices I say “wow it must be a bad batch”.

Pirokp
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:54 AM

Victoria2020 - Yikes!!!    I think I just need to curtail check writing all together.  Thank you for sharing that!
Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:08 PM

I strongly second what harshedbuzz and Eric said. It’s great to keep them busy, and feeling good, but you are looking at a world of hurt and complications from “fake” or altered checks. 

This sounds like a good time to divert all mail so you can screen it first, and find some other activity for him to do.

Banks, IME, are the least helpful and the biggest sticklers for rules when it comes to things like this. Back when we had more “local” banks and people knew everybody, it was different, at least again IME. It may still be that way in some places. 

Eric L
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:50 AM

Remember, most of what we deem as "normal" and "feeling good" are based on our perceptions, not the PWDs reality. As the disease progresses, doing things like sorting buttons enables them to feel productive. Just based on my experience with my MIL, I say let them do stuff until they can't. When I "caught" my MIL using the same rag on the bathroom sink and counters that she used to clean the toilet, I knew that she knew no longer had the ability to clean the bathroom anymore. When her depth perception became so poor that she couldn't dust without breaking things, I knew that her ability to dust was compromised. When she stopped putting laundry soap in with her laundry, we would covertly do her laundry for her. Eventually, she got to the point that I just think she saw that her hamper was empty, the house was dusted, or the bathroom was clean and she figured that she had already done it.

Really, in this situation it's best to remember that we need to enter their world. It may very well be that sorting innocent junk mail like ads from the grocery store makes him feel productive. The worst that can happen is that he will get upset that he can't find any charity mail, but you can always fib your way out of it "Dad, the government just passed a new law that says charities can't send mail to seniors". Even in that case, he might be angry, but you can take solace in knowing that you are keeping his assets protected.