RSS Feed Print
I’ve lost Mr. O.
Mrs. O
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 12:10 AM

I haven’t posted lately b/c my time & energy has been devoted to DH’s last days. He passed away on Wednesday. Recent days have been full of tears and numb disbelief. We all know this day will come, but we are never ready for it. Our journey was very similar to lvcatlvr’s, with a hospitalization, followed by placement in a Care Home. He was there exactly one month before he passed. The physical decline was remarkably fast, as he was climbing stairs, and fully independent before his hospitalization for the UTI. I miss him so much already... it’s almost unbearable. So, give your sweeties hugs & kisses while you can. You won’t believe how much you’ll miss that when the fateful day comes.
TessC
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 5:20 PM

Mrs. O, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dear husband, Mr. O. You are correct-those of us here know how quickly our LO's can decline towards their end and leave us. How we wish we could have just one more day with them before that have to leave us. I feel selfish wishing my mother could have stayed with me a bit longer when I know she was ready, but I'm only human... I like to remember this poem when I miss mom and feeling lost without her.  I don't mean it to console you-it's just something I hope to be true for me.

Death is nothing at all. 
It does not count. 
I have only slipped away into the next room. 
Nothing has happened. 
Everything remains exactly as it was. 
I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. 
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. 
Call me by the old familiar name. 
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. 
Put no difference into your tone. 
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. 
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. 
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. 
Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. 
It is the same as it ever was. 
There is absolute and unbroken continuity. 
What is this death but a negligible accident 
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight 
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. 
All is well. 
Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost. 
One brief moment and all will be as it was before. 
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Henry Scott Holland

MPSunshine
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 6:06 PM

Oh dear, so sorry!
Tink4495
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 12:38 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that you can find some peace and comfort during this difficult time. Grieve at your own pace and remember, to breath and take one day at a time. Sending gentle hugs
Skittles412
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 2:11 PM

May your dear husband rest in the sweetest peace Mrs. O. No words can ever truly make you feel better, so please just know that you are not alone. Sending lots of love and hugs.  Take it easy and take good care of YOU.  

xoxoxoxo -Kat

Army_Vet60
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 10:20 PM

Mrs. O,

I've been off the board and just now saw this thread.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This news is surprising in how quickly it happened.

I hope you're okay. If you're DH was in Hospice, please take advantage of any assistance available to you from them if you need it. I'm getting counseling 7 days a month from the Hospice that cared for my wife.