RSS Feed Print
A thread for light moments? Share yours!
Joe C.
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:46 AM

Janeymack, And fine babies they would be, definitely no muss, no fuss.
Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:49 AM

I had another amusing story come to me last night. I think at this point in time we were the "days left, everything is kind of touch and go" stage. MIL was mostly incoherent, lots of babbling, bedridden.

One day she grabbed my hand. I said "oh, do you need me to get you anything?" And she just held on to my hand. Sounds like a touching story, right? About 10 seconds after I asked her, she looks at me and says "Leave go of me!". I looked at her and said "You silly girl, you grabbed my hand".

Even up until the end, she was still feisty.
janeymack
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:22 PM

About a week ago, H announced, "I've been a prick all of my life, so I've decided to be nice from now on." But, then he forgot! Funny, NOT funny!
happycm
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 5:34 PM

My DH has been in Memory Care for five months. I visit everyday and try to bring something to remind him of our loving times. He was as wonderful musician who could play his guitar, his blues harmonica, and sing soulful and happy songs. So yesterday, I brought his blues harmonica to see if he could still play. He was able to blow notes and even remembered how to "bend a note."As he played, other residents started drifting in to hear him. I brought up BB King on You Tube playing "The Thrill is Gone" for him to possibly play along with. As soon as King sang "The Thrill is Gone" my DH looked at me in a very serious face and said, "It is??" Oh gosh, he had the whole place laughing. I said to him that in no way is the thrill gone!

I have learned to find the joy with him when I can and not to focus what has been lost. May you all find peace and love and celebrate the wonderful life you have had with your dear one.

CatBallou729
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 8:23 PM

OMG this thread is making me laugh out loud.  Thank you all for the stories.

I have one to share too:  visited my DH in memory care yesterday.  He was happy to see me but frustrated.  "I tried to call you this morning but my phone doesn't work.  Or else they're blocking my calls," he griped. I didn't understand what he meant because he doesn't have a phone in his room any more.   Good lord, did he pilfer someone's cell phone, I wondered?  But no.  It was the TV remote.  He was trying to call me by pushing buttons on the TV remote.

But wait, there's more! A few minutes later  I sneezed and reached for a kleenex from the box on his dresser. There was something wadded up in the top of the box... I pulled on it and out came a diaper! Thankfully a clean one... but still, these little surprises.

Satcmo
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:48 PM

My DW wanted to welcome our new neighbors so

she carried some banana bread to their home. She 

got ahead of me and without knocking walked into

their home and with dirt on her shoes across their

white carpet. The young couple and their five year

old son looked shocked. It was a scene out of 

Norman Rockwell but dementia flavored. Our homes

are situated so that we look directly at the back of

their home from our back patio. I am convinced our

new neighbors have put Christmas lights in the

back of their house just for my LW and l. We are

the only ones that can see them. They lift my

spirits when ever l see them 

Paul&Me
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:38 AM

This happened in 2014 when my dad (vascular dementia) was in memory care. When I would come to visit him, he would be sitting in the only chair in his room so I would sit on his bed. We chatted for a while. More than once, I would stand up to leave or to follow him into the dining area for his lunch, and the bed alarm would go off. He just chuckled and chuckled. The staff had neglected to turn off the alarm and he thought it was funny that I was caught.

Keep It 100
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 12:58 PM

Life in the land of Alz.

Sitting in the living room with Ray, listening to music, relaxing. 

Ray: (standing up) So, I’ll see you later, see you back at home...

Me: Ok. Where are you going?

Ray: (looking up the staircase) I’m just gonna go wandering around my house for a while, drum up some business. 

Me: Ok.

Joe C.
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 2:00 PM

I have a caregiver that comes in couple of times a week to give me a break. The caregiver try’s to get DW to go out and do something in good weather she will take her to the park or walk on the beach and in the winter she will take her to the local consignment shop or Dollar store. I always leave some money so they can do something. Last Thursday the caregiver ask DW if she wanted to go to the dollar store and told DW that her I left $40.00 so they could go shopping. DW say “Let’s get some more money”, caregiver ask where she’s going to get more money, DW “I know where HE hides his money”. I wish she’d tell me where it’s hidden.
Piasa
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:33 AM

DW picked up a heavy wooden mallard decoy from the fireplace hearth and threatened to kill me with it.  My first thought was, "Dear Lord, please don't let my obituary disclose that I was murdered by my wife with a duck!"
Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:38 PM

DH usually can feed the dog, as long as I put everything on the counter in front of him and open the can. Then he empties can into bowl and put it on the floor (unless he wanders off without doing anything).

Last night I asked him to feed the dog, had it all out. I was busy for a minute and heard him tell the dog, “here’s dinner. Eat, eat.”  I glanced down and there is the can of dog food, literally, the CAN, sitting on the floor, and DH is asking her why don’t you eat?

What made it funny was the look on the dogs face as she stared at the can. I think she knew it was her food, but.......puzzled!

littleme
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:22 PM

Yesterday visiting DH in the NH where he has been for 3 years. We were in the lift, and as the door opened, one of the female care workers stood with her back to us , talking to another resident. As she did so, she was pulling up her pants, as the waistband was loose.

As she turned around DH, with a wicked grin, did a perfect wolf whistle! She thought it was wonderful he could still do it, and we all laughed.

Whyzit
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:19 PM

My LO with MCI and I volunteered at an assisted living facility. One of the ladies told my husband she loved his beard. He thanked her and then looked at her chin and said “I like your beard too”.
abc123
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 11:38 AM

Thank you all for sharing these stories. We all need to laugh and I literally almost fell over laughing last night! I was roaring out loud and had tears in my eyes. Eric, I wish I had been blessed with knowing your MIL. All of your loved ones for that matter. Everyone here, thank you for sharing the good stuff and the bad stuff. From babies to the blues, our LO's continue to bless us.

Dear happycm, I am a huge fan of the blues. Check out Tab Benoit on YouTube. Also Jason Ricci, he's a harp player, truly one of the world's best. The Josh Garrett Band is very good too. Maybe you and DH would enjoy listening. Tab always talks to the audience and tells hilarious stories. I know he would have you rolling. You can find his audience chats on YouTube. Good stuff.

Sending love, peace and good wishes to you all this morning.

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:16 PM

abc123 wrote:

Check out Tab Benoit on YouTube.

I just discovered him 2 or 3 years ago. Good stuff!

abc123
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:40 PM

Ed, so happy you enjoy Tab. He's a great guy and does so much to help educate people to the coastal erosion issues we deal with here in South Louisiana. I will see him perform New Year's Eve in New Orleans!
Jeff86
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:12 PM

DW coyly says she would consider ‘sleeping’ with me but she’s afraid of getting pregnant, and doesn’t think she should have a baby.  As if!!!!
beezblossom
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 5:00 PM

While at a dr appointment with a stethoscope to his carotid artery my sweet dad was asked to take a deep breath and "hold it". He took that deep breath and grab the stethoscope to hold it, all the while looking across the room at me cracking up. Still has a bit of the old humor left in him.

Paul&Me
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 9:51 AM

This morning Paul was getting dressed and I had my back to him at my computer in the bedroom. He said strongly, "No!" I looked, expected to see a cat doing something wrong, but no cat, and he's looking straight at me. "No!!" He repeated it a few times. I had to decide whether it was a delusion or an Alz joke. It was an Alz joke and we laughed together about the scare he gave me.

Joe C.
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:53 PM

Last week I had a very early medical appointment and had to leave a few minutes before the caregiver would arrive so the night before I am running around the house getting everything ready for the morning. I got out DW nighttime meds as well as her morning meds to put in the pill case. To get DW to take her pills I usually have to get out my meds and tell her we both need to take our “blood pressure & cholesterol” pills. DW was not being very cooperative that night and I’m rather flustered but I get her to take her pills. When I return from my appointment the next day the caregiver ask me if I gave DW her meds this morning, I said No they are in her pill case, caregiver says there were no pills in the case. Then it dons on me why I have been feeling so weird all morning. Guess where her meds went! I did not think this was funny but the members of my support group thought it was hilarious.
janeymack
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:39 PM

Hope there was something good in those meds!
janeymack
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:45 PM

We were watching TV last night when H turned to me and said, "I think we should get two vibrators. One for you and one for me." I, dumbfounded, said, "Oh, really?" H said, "Yeah, your back always hurts and my shoulders ache." I responded, "That sounds like a good idea!" You can't make this stuff up!

klmani
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:04 PM

I placed my DH into another facility 4 days ago. The social worker there really enjoys him.  As she was walking by she was trying to get my husband to do two fist bumps, which she called the bumps "nuts".  She said "give me some nuts", my DH only raised one hand and she said "oh, only one nut today".  I started laughing and she looked at me strange  I said due to his testicular cancer he had, everyday is only a one nut day.  She laughed as I did too, and told her, I bet it will be a long time before you forget this one.
Joe C.
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 1:20 PM

Having Christmas dinner and the dog is laying beside the table chewing something: DW says “What the dog chewing on?”, My son replies “It’s OK, it’s a chew toy”, DW replies “I thought it was an adult toy”, Granddaughter asked “What’s an adult toy”, I’m trying desperately to change the conversation.
Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 2:36 PM

That's hilarious! Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. It's a welcome thread after the stress of Christmas.
piozam13
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 5:27 PM

while taking a walk with DH with MCI - 75

me - we shouldn't miss our walk.

dh - why

me - because walking improves blood circulation, pooing is easier.

dh - will it grow my hair too

are men more vain

Crushed
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 6:42 AM

Joe C. wrote:
Janeymack, I absolutely love the intent of this thread. Very sad that some people want to rob us of the little joy we find in our journey.

Just always ask yourself if your "joy" comes from putting other people at risk. 

Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 7:30 AM

Crushed wrote:
Joe C. wrote:
Janeymack, I absolutely love the intent of this thread. Very sad that some people want to rob us of the little joy we find in our journey.

Just always ask yourself if your "joy" comes from putting other people at risk. 

??????????
janeymack
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 1:35 PM

Still not feeding trolls. If you don't appreciate the theme of this thread, stay off.
kday
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:48 AM

Several years ago, I took my mom to get her drivers license renewed.  The examiner was a young woman wearing a pencil skirt and stiletto heels.  She walked behind moms parked car to check the brake lights and turn signals.  Mom decided this was a good time to get ready for the drive and accidentally put the car in “reverse”.  She started to back into the examiner, who quickly dove into the grassy embankment.  Quite a sight with the pencil shirt and heels....The examiner got up, readjusted and loudly said “who does this woman belong to?” I timidly claimed her... and the examiner said that “she’s a little nervous today.  I won’t be able to pass her”.  Mom blamed the examiner and said that “only a fool would walks behind someone who’s driving a car”.  Mom never went back for the license...but I’m sure they remember her!
kday
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:57 AM

Several years ago, I took my mom to get her drivers license renewed.  The examiner was a young woman wearing a pencil skirt and stiletto heels.  She walked behind moms parked car to check the brake lights and turn signals.  Mom decided this was a good time to get ready for the drive and accidentally put the car in “reverse”.  She started to back into the examiner, who quickly dove into the grassy embankment.  Quite a sight with the pencil shirt and heels....The examiner got up, readjusted and loudly said “who does this woman belong to?” I timidly claimed her... and the examiner said that “she’s a little nervous today.  I won’t be able to pass her”.  Mom blamed the examiner and said that “only a fool would walks behind someone who’s driving a car”.  Mom never went back for the license...but I’m sure they remember her!
DanGr
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:20 AM

My wife scared the crap out of my son (who is a 43 y/o nurses aide) when she came walking out of our bedroom nekid and sat down to watch tv.
Whyzit
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 8:42 PM

My DH walks quite slow now. He Is 6’6” and it has always been a challenge for me to keep up with him as I am 5’4” tall. Today he asked me to forgive him for being slow. Then he said most of the time he is slower. We both laughed. 

As I was getting dressed after water aerobics, one of my classmates asked “when did it get hard to bend over to put shoes on? Hmmmm, I just don’t remember.”

Espy
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:43 PM

Every single morning, my DH wants to know where the men were that were in our house last night. I keep telling him no men were here.  2 nights ago, all our smoke detectors went off at 2am. I had no idea what was happening so called 911. They sent 2 trucks and 8 firemen. They went through our entire house & found a defective detector which was in the bedroom. DH slept through everything - screeching smoke alarms, 8 firemen in our house, a firemen on a ladder in the bedroom taking a smoke alarm down. The next morning was the first morning in a year that he didn’t ask me where the men were that were in our house last night. I finally had an answer for him but he didn’t ask!
White Crane
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 7:21 AM

While eating lunch yesterday, DH and I were reminiscing about all the places had traveled to.  Suddenly DH says he has never been to an island.  Then he pauses and says, "wait, we went to Costa Rica and it's an island."  I'm not good at geography, but I said I don't think Costa Rica is an island.  After some back and forth, I finally said, "Well, your probably right, you know me and my geography."  DH responds, "Yes, and you know me and my dementia!"  We both had a good laugh.