RSS Feed Print
Falls
obrien4j
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 8:05 PM

Hey everybody- I've been off the site for a while now-lots of changes going on=. In short, I am 58, diagnosed with dementia 4 years ago, starting from Lyme Disease. This has been progressing slowly, but I've had a bunch of new issues-mainly falls. I've fallen 5 times within the past 4 months-I'm a tripper not a faller. Anyone have an idea what's going on or have the same issues?I haven't gone back to neurologist-what for? Been there, done that-what are they gonna do anyway? So that's one of my recent issues that really concerns....thoughts?
ladyzetta
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 8:40 PM

Hi Obrien,

Welcome Back.   When my DH was alive he also tripped and his care giver said he was shuffling  when he walked and that was what was causing the tripping. So I got him a walker and he refused to use it so i got rid of all my throw rugs. 

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:01 AM

Check your vision.  Increase the lighting.  Remove clutter on the floor.  Wear supportive shoes in the house.  Read about fall prevention on a reputable senior health website.  You might also get a Balance Assessment from a physical therapist who works with seniors.  You might get benefit from a cane or walker.

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 8:16 AM

Iris has some great recommendations. Don’t just give up. 

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:19 PM

I had posted about falls in earlier years.  I will bring those older threads to the top.
BadMoonRising
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 11:10 AM

Hey, O'Brien

I had a similar issue. After I sent a prior thread "to the top", I realized it had been posted on the caregiver's board. Here's my follow up.

When I was seen by a Hopkins neurologist in January, he asked whether I had experienced any falls. I believe my reply was something like "No. Well, not after I started lifting my feet." And for the most part, this was true. At times I felt a little off balance but that is not what he asked me.

I did not inform him of a fall that had occurred several months prior because it was the result of my stupidity. (I did ask my PCP to make a note of it because I strongly suspected that if I had a chest xray in the future it would show a healed rib fracture.) Feet, threshold, large heavy box, storm door, etc. The snap was audible, the pain was excrutiating.

I don't believe a 60 some year old should have to make a conscious effort to lift her feet but it is what it is. BTW, I love the "I'm a tripper not a faller". I'll have to remember that the next time I'm asked whether I have falls.

Brdy64
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:30 AM

my balance is getting real bad

I use a transport chair around the house if a wall or counter top is not near i use just fett to push myself in chair everywhere or hold onto the chair like a walker