RSS Feed Print
Dead zone
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:58 AM

This place has become the dead zone when it comes to others who are living with dementia. I only wish it was because others do not have dementia but I know a lot better than that. Sadly, some of us can no longer write and my heart breaks for all of you as i know how this disease can impact all of our skills. To be total honest I wish i was not here. But I need to make the best of it. For those of you who just read please stay safe and keep your spirits up. 

Grandpa Brian
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:17 AM

Thanks! I am a reader, because my reading is terrible and I definitely cant write coherently.

I tried small talk, but it seemed like it fell into a deep dark hole!

Brian

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:06 AM

Sorry as I am not one for small talk on platforms like this. I really hate replying to things unless there is some value I could bring to the conversation. Believe me it is not you or others. I also don’t reply if I have no idea on what I am talking about just to say something. I tend to step in when some say something that is Truly wrong on their advice.  Sadly, that happens a lot on other bords but I let most of it go as so many don’t want to hear it. I find it amazing when people ask for help but they only want to hear what they want to hear. They really do not want the help. And then you have those who ask for help but already know the answer.  And i am probably just rambling so that is why I don’t do this.   Stay safe.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:20 AM

I will small talk with you. 

There is a wonderful chatty thread on the spouse forum that has been going for over 4 years.  Just need to talk to my friends. Please join us.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:01 PM

I used to answer in depth but I can no longer remember the advice  that I used to give.  But I can still make small talk.    I was busy this month, with my 80 yo cousin being hospitalized with Corona virus, and my neighbor's husband dying with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's Diseases and having a big plumbing problem and worrying about running out of money due to not being able to address what that I needed to address over the past couple of months.  Other important things have not been addressed.  Actually, in my personal life, I need a long time-out!  There is so much that I need to get done.  I don't do well with interruptions and distractions.  But. I come to the boards every day, even if it's late, like today.  Keep posting.  I'll be here.

Jfkoc, I have visited the "Friends" thread.  There is so much going on with the ladies it's hard for me to follow.  But it seems to be a wonderful pen-pal type letter.

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:30 AM

Iris...I can't follow it very well either. I think some make notes when they are reading so that they can post.

I have learned about cows and their care, the latest equipment on QVC, gardening, cooking like grandmother as well as using air fryers, instant pots, microwaves and crocpots. ..gardening too.  I also enjoy the info from Australia. 

Over all I am like you and find that I am not up on the threads that weave in and out.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 12:09 PM

Maybe I should pop in now and then so I can learn more about the air fryers and instant pots.  I don't plan to do any cooking though .

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 12:31 PM

My wife recently bought an air fryer and so far everything from it has been terrible. Not sure if its her or the air fryer.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 3:32 PM

My grandson just chimed in that everything he has had from an air fryer is great....lol. He added that  the instant pot is good.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 4:15 PM

Michael, despite the name, air fryers do need a tiny bit of oil, about 1 teaspoon.  That's what I read online.  

Iris

Grandpa Brian
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 6:10 AM

Air fyer Good, Insta Pot  Bad.
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 12:08 PM

OK...sticking with my oven!
Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 4:13 PM

I'm very fond of my new slow cooker/crockpot.  Just toss the ingredients in, put on the lid, and dinner is ready at the end of the day.  It does require a little bit of oil to have any taste, though.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 8:49 AM

Unforgiven I agree not that I do the cooking but that stuff taste good. 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2020 12:38 AM

A funny story:  I heard something on the radio about Kokomo.  "That sounds familiar," I thought, but I couldn't remember why.  It finally came to me.  I used to live in Kokomo! In 1981.  That't why it sounded familiar!  LOL on me!

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2020 2:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJAyW4sInbs
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2020 8:03 PM

Good vibes, Judith!  

Unfortunately, no beaches in Kokomo Indiana.

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 11:03 AM

more on Kokomo;

https://www.songfacts.com/place/islamorada-florida/kokomo

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 12:44 PM

When I lived in Kokomo, I lived in a large apartment on the edge of town.  In winter deer came on to the grounds.  There were farms around and I got fresh eggs from a coworker.  The yolks were not yellow, but bright orange.  Unfortunately there was also a KKK march when I first arrived.  I never had any trouble with the residents however.  I lived in Kokomo for ten months.  And it was in 1980, not 1981.

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 6:22 PM

That was not very long...did you get into Chicago?
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 12:10 AM

I visited one of my cousins in Chicago while I lived in Kokomo.  I visited two other times, visited the Sears Tower, the "El" and saw everything downtown, and visited Frank Lloyd Wright's home.  

Iris

looking4relief
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:51 AM

Thanks Michael for posting this. For me it's been degrading still. I can't say the situation is stable or improving. But sometimes the agony lasts longer than I would have imagined. 

I had predicted and told people that my cognitive impairement would be extremely obvious by a prior month. Altough they know I'm confused at times, that I lose many objects (always have, just more now) and answer them automatically sometimes without having a reflexion in my brain (the answer isn't always true). Some of them told me 'you predicted for that month and it didn't happen'. Well, I guess my predictions can't always be right. There is one of my physical treatment that seems to accelerate the decay. However I seem to need it to live. Hard to find the balance if there is one. Between breathing and losing my brain and nerves faster. My dilemmas these days are degrading this way or that way. 

My piano playing has been hit the hardest. I kept playing even if I knew it didn.t sound the same but now it's awful. Too much energy, doesn't really sound nice. I'm definitely tempted to stop entirely. It's too bad it was keeping me busy for a while because my physical shape pretty much follows the mental one. 

I'm taking only fish oil now I let go of testing products. It's a bit harder with covid and I tested so many things already. I'm also less tempted to write in general. I was taking two courses that I wouldn't have been able to finish without the covid lock down. And the open book exams. I'm glad it's over and that I could finish. It was a heavy weight on my mind and a pain at the end but I always like to finish what I start. 

I have written some more detailed funeral planning. It's the part of my Will that embarrassed me. I attended my grand mother's funerals about a month ago and decided to choose the music and flowers for my own ceremony. It's just too bad that people are not getting the funerals they hoped for these days. I know many people with dementia have passed away with the covid because they were vulnerable. My grand mother finally didn't die of her Alzheimer and didn't reach the last stage. 

I wish you well everyone.