RSS Feed Print
Memorial Day(2)
Crushed
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 6:58 AM

Memorial Day

My parents were both Naval officers and are buried in Arlington. 

Good day to remember service and sacrifice  

Davegrant
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 7:18 AM

Rest in Peace!
Beachfan
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 9:09 AM

Arlington always takes my breath away. My first visit was as a senior in high school in Spring, 1964,  when our class laid a wreath at President Kennedy’s grave, still muddy and not yet groomed.  Our oldest child is a retired Marine Colonel, three tours, bronze star with valor.  We are so blessed he returned home.    My favorite Memorial Day tradition is the concert on the Mall; a little different this year, but still moving.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:07 AM

It is special day for me which I spend  quietly every year. I do not picnic nor participate in sale shopping. I am always taken back when someone says "Happy Holiday".  

Father, brother, husband...all Navy. My father was stationed on Navy Pier in Chicago and shared the fact that he and my Uncle Irl were responsible for keeping danger at bay. My brother was stationed on Saipan and my husband flew off USS Coral Sea. All proud to serve.

biker013
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:21 AM

My husband (Navy) was on the USS America during the Vietnam War.  He didn't die during his military service and he wasn't a POW, but  some delusions dealt with POW.
Lorita
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:17 AM

Hi,

I think Memorial Day is the most solemn and reflective of all our holidays - or should be.  A day to remember all the sacrifices made by others to protect our freedom.  A day to proudly fly our Stars and Stripes if you have the capacity to do so.

My Charles served in the Korean War for the full time. He was stationed in Japan, a young man of 17 or 18, when the war began. He was immediately transferred to Korea for the duration of the war or conflict as they wish to call it.  He was in all or many of the major battles.  The result of a young person being subjected  to the awful things that happen during war was that he had post-traumatic stress disorder, ruptured eardrums from the concussion received during the firing of the big guns and several others things.  This affected his entire life.  I'm sure so  many others have had the same problems from the Korean War and the others.

War is Hell.

Crushed
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:20 AM

Ive been to Bastogne in winter.  The Bastogne episode of Band  of Brothers is incredibly painful to watch.

38Winks
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:09 AM

I never even as a tween like “Happy” Memorial Day.  I always thought it was a meant to be a solemn event. Don’t get me completely wrong I still liked the parade and other festivities but always felt it was meant to be a respectful day.  I hope you’re day of remembrance was beautiful for you. Bless you and bless the souls of your parents. Thank you.
SSHarkey
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:48 PM

I had the privilege of visiting an American cemetery in Italy commemorating our soldiers lost and the gratitude of the Italian citizens. A beautiful hillside, peaceful, and moving.
Jeff86
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:11 PM

It’s a very emotional experience to visit the cemeteries at Flanders Field in Belgium.  So many soldiers ‘known only to God.’  Moved to tears.