RSS Feed Print
Introduction(1)
Roykc
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 11:31 PM

Hello, This is all new to me. Thank you for sharing your stories, thoughts, advice. I've been reading through discussion board and thinking about my story. My wife and I are early 50's and she has EO. I feel guilty even writing that; as if I'm betraying her by acknowledging it.  Mostly, the temptation is to ignore it at this point. But it is the elephant in the room. It's a matter of fact. I'm beside myself. I want to do all I can for her. But also, this introduction is for my benefit. I need to grow my community of support. Especially with covid this year, our social outlets and support structure are virtually nonexistent. Lots to get through and process. 

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 3:09 PM

Hello Roykc and a very warm welome to you.  I am sorry for what is happening; we understand the heartbreak and the challenges -  you have arrived at a place where you will be totally understood.

You are wise in building your support and despite everything, that you are beginning to find information and making plans for what may come in the future.

One thing:  It would be good for you to go to the Spousal/Partner Forum and place your Thread and Post what you have shared here. 

There are quite a few male caregivers on that Forum whose wives have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease; some with Young Onset.  Also of course, female caregivers whose spouses have been diagnosed; some with Young Onset.   The Spousal Forum is much better attended with more activity than is this particular Forum and you will get much more input and find a lot of experiential wisdom.

The Alzheimers' Assn. has a 24 Hour Helpine that can be reached at (800) 272-3900.  If you call at any time, ask to be put in contact with a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this service.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who speicalize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are great listeners, very supportive, have much information and can often assist us with our problem solving.  Just something to tuck in your pocket when you wish professional support or other input now or in the future.

We are all here in support of one another and that now includes you too. 

J.  

Roykc
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2020 11:51 PM

J., Thank you very much for your reply, support and info. I have placed this post in the recommended forum.
Luceyka
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2020 5:17 AM

Hello and welcome!
Krimpet
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2020 5:25 PM

Welcome Roykc, I just joined yesterday. I needed an outlet without feeling guilty about my feelings or being criticized for my feelings. It’s a huge task being a caregiver especially if not enough support or in my case no support. I am still hopeful and remain encouraged. God bless and stay strong. We are all here to support each other
dpetrilli1121@yahoo.com
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2021 10:15 AM

Welcome Roykc! I am new here as well, second time I have posted. I think I will also head on over to the other board. Maybe see you there LOL!