RSS Feed Print
It's just so sad.....
lsh42
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:23 PM

Having dinner tonight and DH asked me what is your name. I told him and he said that's a girls name.  I said yes it is because I'm a girl. Yes I have very short hair. I also have the same first name as his daughter in law,  who he has known a lot longer than me. I think that confuses him. As I watched him, he tried with all his might to figure out who I am. He would bring up something and say a couple of words I could understand then goes into jibberish. If I say yes and I don't answer correctly according to him he gets very upset. 

I have to laugh when he thinks I am a man. I also have to try to laugh at everything or I would be crying all the time. 

It's just so sad.

abc123
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:48 PM

I agree with you, it is sad. It's possible that he is confused about the name itself. Since he's known her much longer than he's known you, it could confuse him. I'm sorry. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for both of you.
I also wear my hair very short and usually I'm in jeans, boots and a ball cap. Recently a young child called me an old man! I laughed all the way home. Now I make it a point to never leave the house without at least a touch of makeup!!!

dayn2nite2
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 9:08 PM

My mother and her roommate (also a female) each thought the other was a man.  It was odd.
aod326
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 11:10 PM

Humor is a sanity-saver! But it doesn't change the fact that this is all very sad. One of my favorite humorous moments was earlier this year when, after DH getting irate because "the thing" wouldn't work when he was trying to cut the grass.  After a while I went outside, only to see the vacuum cleaner on the grass, plugged in...
I also had the challenge of not knowing quite how to answer the gibberish, without annoying him. I learned to say "hmm" in a non-committal way - that seemed to work as a yes or a no.

Good luck.
CStrope
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 6:25 AM

I agree, I often tell my sister that watching my DH makes me just so sad.  He writes things down in a notebook constantly so that he can learn the things he's forgetting.  This of course doesn't actually help, but it makes him feel like it does so that's okay. 

Our adult kids were home for Christmas, and he was writing things down to remember.  He asked my daughter what was the name of that thing the TV sits on, and what do we call where she was (table and couch).  He proceeded to write those words down so that he can remember them.  That made me so sad.