RSS Feed Print
How are you handling the lockdowns and isolation ?
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:27 PM

I'm in southern California, we are under a stay-at-home order.  I was doing all right until lately.  Up until now I had a strong social reserve which allowed me to feel normal.  But now I am feeling like I can't handle any more.  The people I talk to on the telephone can only talk about the virus and the vaccines.  I don't want to hear any more about the virus.  I don't want to talk about the vaccines or the lockdowns.  There's nothing else to talk about.  I'm going to work on finding a project that's not virus-related or otherwise boring and depressing. 

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:38 PM

Its definitely not easy and I am so sick of the politics around this virus. I know you can understand that being a doctor. 

KawKaw
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:44 PM

It is the ongoing focus of news and many people, for sure.
When you look for projects, what do you look for?  Something you can do alone?  Something you can do remotely with someone else that keeps the focus on the project and not news?

My time these days is spent cleaning and unpacking (still!)

And playing with the dogs, walking them, brief training sessions.

On the lead up to the New Year, I like to thoroughly clean my home, my car and yard to be ready for a clean start.

I know it is merely another day really, but I like the idea of a beginning.  It feels hopeful to me, I think.

I am unsure of the future so my projects tend to be those with goal I can accomplish within the next year or so.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 5:48 PM

Covid and Trump are certainly the go to conversations. I too look for other things to do on my own. 

I got a new computer. ..went from Windows 7 to 10. It is frustrating so I can not suggest doing that. I have been sorting books and going through closets. I could take all to Goodwill but would rather donate the book to our library auction. I am also going through recipes. 

And then I do watch TV. I have enjoyed TMC. Some of the old movies are wonderful. Not much reading but trying to get online with my library. I have also watched some great educational things on you tube.

I am working on my watercolors. I am not talented but do find it fascinating. You might give it a whirl...no "talent" necessary....just have fun with the medium.

Finally, there is always a puzzle waiting on my dining room table.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2020 10:27 AM

Understand your feelings, Iris.

I watch TV (Netflix esp) and use computer and I do follow news as I have my whole adult life. The national crisis is a point in history that will be studied for ages and so I want to be a witness. But it gets to be too much.

I started 30 days of yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. January 1 is next round starting. It is free, I do it in morning usually or anytime during day. Following the movements is complicated as I am receiving info slower than it goes, if you know what I mean. It helps me with pain and strength and getting my mind off The World.

Daily walks - I live in atrailer park with 4 streets, I walk up and down the streets every day, sometimes 3 times a day. I can not drive but Habib can still drive and brings me to his house once a month where I clean his refrigerator and lay down by my dog.

Football - a reason to live as my team is doing good.

Baking! If I can not feed myself my solitary life ends. I can still order groceries delivered. Started baking last year and now cook every other day. I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies yesterday - I share with disabled vet in park and Habib. I have never been a great cook but can make soups and casseroles and it takes hours but who cares? Sometimes I forget part of recipes and they go kaput, like forgot flour in brownies and over baked them waiting for them "to rise". So what? It was funny.

I take photos of flowers on my walk. Made a border out of repotted broken plants neighbors gave me, I tend them every day. Was worried neighbors would say it is too make shift but have been told people love the rescue garden! wish I knew how to post a photo.

Would love to go rock hunting. I also like sweeping up leaves from my carport, lounging in my hammock with a book.

Audiobooks free on YouTube - really love. I forget plot and go back re-listen, sometimes 4 times, taught myself to just GO BACK and not be upset or quit. Listen to old crime novels from 1940s a lot. Also listen to books on ancient history, Graham Hancock has ideas about the past and gives me ideas.

I would like to sketch and draw and have paper to do it but have not in 10 years. But it could happen!

One neighbor who has COPD was not getting food. I bring him stuff I cook and leave it on his porch, he likes this. This satisfies me as still a person. He returns my containers clean to my porch! 

hope some of this inspires your imagination. We have a need for fun.

all the best to you and everyone

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2020 12:47 AM

I am attempting to get outdoors into the morning sun.  I learned from members here a few years ago that I have SAD--seasonal affective disorder. This makes the other boring and depressing things even more boring and depressing.  

Fortunately, I also have my light box.

A new year is coming.  YEA!  

I wish everyone better times! Happy New Year!  

Iris

Posted: Monday, January 4, 2021 11:49 PM

Hi everyone.

I have found that since I and we can't do the socializing that we use to do, I have found that doing hobbies is a good way to kill time. Since I am not quick at doing things, I can kill an afternoon or even a day really quick. I do as much as I can until I become, what I call "Brain Tired". 

I also find that it is good to mix things up and not just do one thing. I also like Netflix, as I can watch the same movie again and again. As I usually don't remember, it or how it turns out. 

There are ways to keep yourself busy during this Pandemic. Find out what you like to do and begin. If you need some help with this, ask for help.

I hope this helps someone.