RSS Feed Print
CBD oil and depression - inertia
alz+
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2021 3:19 PM

My partner who lives 8 miles from me also has cognitive changes which are getting worse. One of the things that scares him is waking up and not being able to move, not able to get out of bed. He has been really scared about this. I know that feeling and my thought was to allow yourself to go with it and eventually get up.

Last night I found myself tidying up my bathroom and bed room and remembered I had taken CBD oil earlier. Not many people have responded to my posts on CBD (went out and got some, tried it, reported results) and I think I am still figuring out just what it does and how to describe it.

the sense of being glued to bed, easy to call it "depression". People with ALZ are often called "apathetic" which may be true for some, may be a blessing for some. But if you live alone (or not) the frustration of wanting to get up and do stuff and not being able is extremely discouraging.

CBD oil overcomes the the inertia. That is the main effect I notice. At same time it allows me do some calculating, figure out something, i.e. wash dishes, go for a walk, order groceries online. I no longer attempt to do any financial stuff, have very little sense of direction, follow conversations more than 2 minutes. It does not change those things.

When I watch videos of people being given cbd and I see the distress melt away and the person return to having a conversation, laughing, interested in things, able to move.

They no not seem to notice the change. My hope is a few people who are struggling with the sense of not being able to go for a walk or do dishes or paint or assemble something would try it and report back. I think the federal government quit it's attacks on cannabis and many states have dispensaries and they DELIVER. They are considered essential services in California during pandemic. I am lucky to live in a place where thousands of people are using CBD oil for health issues and the dispensaries keep notes on what oil worked for what. 

Another problem I suffered from (and which sapped mental abilities) was insomnia. For years  I fought it then I just stopped fretting about it and did something interesting when up at 2am. Now I have the 100% THC oil and am having deepest sleep of my adult life. No hangover, no side effects. Even had dreams again.

cbd is also used for autistic agitation, no toxic or harmful side effects.  I don't understand people not trying it or their caregivers not giving it to the people they protect.

love and courage

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2021 4:26 PM

alz....would you PM  or post here exactly what you are taking, thanks
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2021 6:38 PM

Every day I have what I call the "don't want to's"--I don't want to get up, I don't want to get dressed, I don't want to do any chores.  I force myself, but I still have days when I don't even get dressed.  This has gone on for years.   No medication has made a difference.  I don't know if cbd is indicated.  

BTW, I do refer members to your posts who inquire about cbd or mm.

Iris

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2021 10:31 PM

The compounds in marijuana improve glucose levels in the brain so more energy and less "apathy."  They also increase melatonin levels so better sleep.  Compounds such as THC, cannabidiol, and terpenes (the later of which are also found in essential oils) partially reverse the multiple damage caused by oxidants to the brain.

The sources of resistance and reluctance come from many sources.  Some use negative studies of marijuana in some younger people and assume that these negative effects will also be experienced by those with dementia.  The admonition is to do no harm, but the upshot of taking medications with potentially harmful side effects or doing nothing at all is in itself doing harm. Others think that videos showing various improvements in those with dementia are fake.  After all there is nothing that can be done to treat dementia.  Still others claim that if medicinal marijuana were to have any beneficial effect we would all know it by now (but there are a number of beneficial treatments for Alzheimer's disease that are regularly denied or swept under the rug).  

The dose, and the strain may make a difference.  And perhaps some people are expecting a complete reversal of symptoms and do not place enough value on more subtle yet very important changes.  

Keep pressing on, alz+ .

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2021 11:23 AM

Lane ..."(but there are a number of beneficial treatments for Alzheimer's disease that are regularly denied or swept under the rug).  "

and they are?

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2021 12:52 PM

In addition to medicinal marijuana, here is a list with results to date:

GV-971 (a drug based on a compound from brown algae)

GV-971 was safe and well-tolerated, with comparable side effects to placebo, according to the company press release. Compared with baseline scores, both the treatment and placebo groups improved on the ADAS-Cog12 by four weeks, though those on GV-971 improved slightly more than those on placebo. At 12 and 24 weeks, both groups essentially maintained their scores. At 36 weeks, the gap widened as placebo-group scores plummeted to just above baseline, while those in the treatment group reportedly bettered their baseline scores by 2.70 points, making for a 2.54-point difference between the groups.

https://www.alzforum.org/news/research-news/china-approves-seaweed-sugar-first-new-alzheimers-drug-17-years

Anavex 2-73

Patients treated with higher ANAVEX®2-73 Concentration maintain ADCS-ADL1 [activities of daily living]  Performance over the 148 Week Period, vs lower Concentration cohort.

Patients treated with higher ANAVEX®2-73 Concentration show higher cognitive MMSE1 Performance over 148 Weeks, compared to the lower Concentrations.

https://www.anavex.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ANAVEX2-73_CTAD_2018_Presentation.pdf

Korean red ginseng (panax ginseng)

In the long-term evaluation of the efficacy of KRG after 24 wk, the improved MMSE score remained without significant decline at the 48th and 96th wk. ADAS-cog showed similar findings. Maximum improvement was found around week 24. In conclusion, the effect of KRG on cognitive functions was sustained for 2 yr follow-up, indicating feasible efficacies of long-term follow-up for Alzheimer’s disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659550/

Heat processed ginseng (panax ginseng heated at higher temperatures)

The treatment groups showed significant improvement on the MMSE and ADAS. Patients with higher dose group (4.5 g/day) showed improvements in ADAS cognitive, ADAS non-cognitive, and MMSE score as early as at 12 weeks, which sustained for 24-week follow-up.

Chinese herbs (including panax ginseng) combined with conventional Alzheimer's medications

Compared to CT alone, CT + H significantly benefited AD patients. A symptomatic effect of CT + H was more pronounced with time. Cognitive decline was substantially decelerated in patients with moderate severity, while the cognitive function was largely stabilized in patients with mild severity over two years. These results imply that Chinese herbal medicines may provide an alternative and additive treatment for AD.

Aromatherapy with rosemary and lemon essential oils in the morning and lavender and orange essential oils in the evening.

All patients showed significant improvement in personal orientation related to cognitive function...In conclusion, we found aromatherapy an efficacious non-pharmacological therapy for dementia. Aromatherapy may have some potential for improving cognitive function, especially in AD patients.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20377818

All of these treatments involve potent antioxidants, that partially restore neurotransmitters in the brain.  Most of them come from plants.  If you overlap the charts they produce very similar results: long-term near stabilization of mild Alzheimer's disease and a substantially slowing down of moderate to moderately severe Alzheimer's disease.

One of my greatest frustrations is those outside this forum who constanttly nit-pick these results while failing to see the common mechanisms and remarkably similar results.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2021 4:28 PM

I came here to complain about trying to get medical help with a cellphone from a clinic that has everything automated and saw this - to my surprise.

Any dispensary has CBD oil. If it is in a dispensary it is clean and safe. I get 4:1 cbd:thc for day time use but have changed percentages over years and still all pretty much the same. The bottle comes in 2 sizes, doesn't matter. Price about $30 - $80 for larger bottle.

A small bottle last me 30+ days. 

Take the oil sublingual and hold a couple minutes under tongue. The at home test is when you can not function, walk, get dressed, make a phone call etc. Take the oil and watch tv or stare at ceiling or whatever. Within minutes I find myself up and dressed, or doing dishes, or wanting to go for a walk.

Iris the I don't want to  might be different than what I call lethargy or inertia. It sounds like you don't want to do these things because it is too hard to get started. Might be worth $40 bucks to find out if it gives you the fuel. Especially delivered.

Lane -  did not know about other treatments. The only other treatment I found is environment.

I don't know how to attach links but you can search youtube for these titles to see what it looks like to take cbd.

also ALs and Parkinson's

Alzheimer's b4 and after cbd oil!

CBD and Dementia - powerful interview about senior citizen suffering from dementia 

Part 1 & 2 Alzheimer's on THC pill medical marijuana helps dementia 

alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2021 8:34 PM

Iris 

I have been thinking about what you described and thought "ennui" but that is more tiresome, boredom, disinterested.

and you CAN do all those easily (get dressed, tidy up) if you want to or have to?

That sounds different than the physical frozen sense like trying to turn on the lamp when it is unplugged, the cbd is like plugging in the lamp. The plug keeps falling out. Ha!

I'm interested in how each person has a unique experience.  When I discovered rock hunting years back it made me want to trek around and find special ones and dig them up and clean them. Bird feeders. 

Audiobooks can be heaven. I do like staying in bed all morning after a long sleep some days, like now I am to get intestine healed. I watch a lot of Netflix and past year discovered Graham Hancock who is an archeologist looking at ancient history differently. I listened to his audiobook twice, learn something new every time. I made my bed really comfortable. Added a top pad, use my favorite sheets, I love my bed.

it might be nice to just accept that you don't want to get dressed today or do anything special - or call it something good, lounge day. taking a rest cure and enjoy it. Maybe listen to books or lectures. or watch movies or write about your travels.

I hung 2 posters on a wall a few days ago in laundry and I felt like I had opened an art gallery. What a success that they hung straight. 

love and courage

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2021 3:32 PM

alz+ wrote:

it might be nice to just accept that you don't want to get dressed today or do anything special - or call it something good, lounge day. taking a rest cure and enjoy it. Maybe listen to books or lectures. or watch movies or write about your travels.

I do have many of these days.  But I have many undone tasks and projects--NECESSARY undone tasks and projects.  Every day that I don't work on these tasks and projects is another day of ongoing chaos and confusion and potential catastrophe.  I am the only one who can do these tasks and projects--there is no one else.  No one even understands what I have to do.  My aim is to stay on focus.  I spent 2020 thinking about and helping others, because they were in dire straits due to having Covid or becoming widowed.  But now it's my turn to focus on ME.  

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2021 7:37 PM

Lane....thank you
alz+
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2021 4:31 PM

Iris - the undone waiting to be done pile stress.

I have boxes that were shipped from my home in Michigan out here that I tried to sort or organize for past 12 years. Seeing them drains me. I understand.

The thing that helps me endure some stuff, like overwhelming inertia, is to embrace my sluggish state. That was the idea i was trying to share, to always dilute or eliminate any self loathing for not being able to.

love and courage