RSS Feed Print
remember the peanut butter smell test?
alz+
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 12:58 PM

I was looking online for help with trembling/shaking and found an article on the peanut better smell test for Alzheimer's.

You sniff with one nostril while close off the other. If the LEFT nostril can not smell the peanut butter it meant a sign of ALZ.

I have not been able to smell out of left nostril in years. Isn't that weird?

ps: I am a word person, pretty sure my brain in like 80% word stuff. My last doctor office mini cognitive test had the "list how many words that begin with F" again. Every time I have taken it i have done better.  Last time I named more words than anyone who ever took the test before and twice (at least) the number I could name last time.

Counting backwards? I could not do more than the first backward 7 from 100. Number sections (bills, money, etc) - that part closed up shop.

I hope to get a vaccine in next 2 weeks.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 4:18 PM

I have read of this test, in fact just recently.  It's fascinatig, isn't it?  Keep in mind that a sign of AD is not the same as a diagnosis of AD.  But it can be part of the confirmation of the diagnosis, and it's easy to perform.

I don't have AD but my cognition is still slowly declining. I aim not to strain my memory or to allow myself to get stressed out.  

In addition to managing the environment, I believe maintaining CONSISTENCY in one's life is a priority in the pro-active approach to living with dementia.  In our American lives we crave much variety, spontaneity and constant change, which are not good for PWDs.    

Iris

KawKaw
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 7:27 PM

Hello all!

Interesting test.  I might try it, though I am severely allergic to peanut butter,  peanuts and associated scents.

I agree with Iris L. that consistency has been very helpful in maintaining a much less stressful environment and situation.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 1:20 AM

KawKaw wrote:

I am severely allergic to peanut butter,  peanuts and associated scents.

Don't try this with peanuts!  Use a different aroma or fragrance.  

The peanut butter test tests the difference in odor detection between the right and left nostril.  The researchers measured how far away each nostril could smell.  This might be intriguing to perform at home, but there are requirements for a scientific study.  Again, it might confirm, but not diagnose dementia. 

Iris

KawKaw
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 10:26 AM

Understood, Iris L!

If it can be any fragrance and the important variable is scenting from the left or right nostril, I might try it with something like vanilla.  A very tiny amount.

In fact, I think I'll have my spouse do it so that I don't know when he puts the scent to the nostril.  Eyes closed, of course.

I do understand that it is not entirely reliable in a home setting, and that it might indicate a symptom rather than the illness.