RSS Feed Print
Inappropriate laughter not from LO but me
BethMimi
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2021 8:24 PM

I have a weird question.  Here's the scenario.  When Mom wants to fight me getting her garments changed sometimes she looks at me screaming and her facial expression is so out of the realm of a normal reaction to the situation (I'm talking eyes bulging, teeth snarling).  I swear to God I think on of these days she's going to bite me.  I understand she is terrified someone is trying to take her clothes off, I understand the reason for all this. 
But sometimes I want to laugh.  I feel so ridiculous talking her down and explaning why she needs to change her shirt, depends, etc. blah, blah, and I am being so calm and patient.  Removing her top is like wrestling with an octupus and she looks at me with the above described reaction......sometimes I want to bust out laughing.  I don't know if I am losing it or just giddy with fatigue or just becoming this awful person that thinks her mother's suffering is something to laugh at.  So I guess I'm wondering if anyone else gets like this.  
BTW three minutes later she will be telling me what a wonderful beautiful girl I am for doing everything.  

pluviophile
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 2:14 PM

I cannot recall off the top of my head having that reaction.  But I would bet a lot of money other's have felt the same impulse to laugh when in the middle of one of these struggles.  And I bet I have, too, but just don't remember at the moment!

The other night the MC aide called me because husband would not let the nurse give him a shot.  Would I speak to him?  They put him on the phone and I said, "Hi, sweetheart. How are you?" he replied sweetly and then I said, "They need to give you a shot and you need to let them or you could die." (true)  He said "okay" and calmly let the nurse proceed. 

I did laugh a little after I hung up that he took my statement so in stride. It seemed a bit weird to chuckle over that but I was so happy he let them give him his shot.

SusanB-dil
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 9:47 AM

I have had a similar type of reaction, but with circumstance not that extreme (yet).

My thought on it is that all of 'this' is just so bizarre at times... you are either gonna laugh or cry sometimes.