RSS Feed Print
Guarding Tess - Good movie about taking care of ...feisty... elderly
elhijo
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 11:44 PM

Dear ALZ Connected,

Sometimes it's important to look at the light side of being a caretaker. Problems will come on their own, without *any* help whatsoever. And sometimes it's really difficult communicating just what being a caretaker is like, especially to a feisty old lady (or older man), to someone whose never lived this reality.

A good movie that captures what being a caretaker is like is Guarding Tess. It's not a "clinical" movie about caretaking like others out there as it was done in the 90s when ALZ wasn't all that prevalent in the media. But, it's still a good movie to watch and captures more of the essence of the LO as a whole person than other ALZ-themed movies out there in my book.

You can catch it on Amazon Prime. I've watched it 3 times this week already. I first remember watching it when I was in high school and thought it was funny but somewhat dry. Now that I'm older (and a caretaker) I can appreciate it the movie a lot more.

It's also the kind of movie you can watch with your LO and both get a kick out of it. Shirley MacLaine was the perfect feisty older lady in that movie and Nicholas Cage reminds me of me (though regrettably I have nowhere near that man's money).

Take care,

elhijo