Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Mama drove my car today!
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:26 PM

Originally posted by: sandellen

Okay, not exactly....She never drove a car her whole life. So, we were out for a ride and she mentioned she had "missed half her life" by not driving. When we got closer to home, I told her to reach over and grab the steering wheel and she could drive. That was too far for her to reach, so I had her put her hand on the gear shift and I pretended THAT was what drove and turned the car!! She bought it, and her eyes lit up. I'd tell her, "pull to the left", "pull to the right" and her hand would lightly pull the knob. She was just beaming with pride! Bless her beautiful, sweet,always somewhat childlike heart (not just now)!

Lately, I've felt so inadequate at finding things that make her happy, but today this little happiness made a lot of that fade away.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Sandyspen

Sandellen, I know I'm a little late on responding to this post. But, that was just the sweetest thing I had heard in awhile. My mom passed away 3 years ago with Alzheimer's, but I agree. It was almost like having the chance to "see" my Mom when she was a child.

I remember a few of those sweet and innocent smiles. Still miss them, too.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

What a wonderful daughter you are to give your Mom such a gift! You truly are "creating moments of joy!"

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Deirdre44

How cute Smiler My mom learned to drive kind of later in life. It was easier then perhaps to get her to stop driving when she needed to.

Could you ''teach'' her more at home? Some kind of little mini driver's ed?

Not enough for her to get out and actually drive! Smiler But like, the rules of the road. Maybe have fun pretending in a chair.

If she's already forgotten about it, then I wouldn't prolong the fun. But if she'd like to learn more, it might be fun to pass the time this way.

I think a lot of ADLo's missed out on some things when younger, because economically, some things were so tough. I have tried to think of some fun things to do with my mom along these lines.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jeannastime

How wonderful sandellen! My mom sometimes looks at me with that childlike look and smiles. It just brightens everything, makes me all warm and smiley. Like nothing else is more beautiful or perfect, than this moment right now.

I LOVE those moments!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:27 PM
Originally posted by: sandellen

Yes, thank you guys, it was sweet. And Mama was SO proud of herself! She never thought she could drive and my dad never encouraged it. So now every time we drive, I give her the stick, ha!

× Close Menu