Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
closed captioning therapy!
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:14 PM

Originally posted by: roses

My mother not only has alz but she has lost most of her hearing. Not a great combination. But several years ago, when her hearing loss was a bigger issue than her memory loss, we got her a closed captioning device for her old tv. Look, I have no scientific proof, but at age 88, she can't walk, her communication skills are dwindling...but she can read! I mean she reads everything she sees outloud. THe closed captioning on every tv show, cards, street signs. Her drs and nurses are in awe of her ability to read. And she reads complicated words(no that she understands any of it), but its a beautiful thing. I'm really convinced that closed captioning has everything to do with it. Worth a shot!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Felicia

Hmmmm, Interesting1 My Mom can still read too, and even could before the Enbrel for Alzheimer's treatment she's getting. although I don't know that she was comprehending everything before. (Please see the thread in Medications/Treatments if your interested!) Now, she reads and even comprehends...as long as it's not too complicated. We have been using the closed captioning for years, so your theory is working here.

Felicia
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

i'd be lost without closed caption on our tv's.......
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Judy Smack

My Father is also deaf and has alzheimers. It is so hard to reassure him when he gets scared or totally confused about what is going on. How do you communicate with your Mother on a one on one basis?

× Close Menu