Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
a few creative ways
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:56 PM
Originally posted by: wildbillsdaughter

My dad never remembers singing "Happy Birthday" to people and usually will have us sing it a few times, or complain that we forgot. On his birthday, he went to visit some family and he told me they did not sing or make him a cake. Turns out they did twice. So. . . my mother and I came up with an effective plan for celebrating his birthday after he got back from his trip:

She had me get the most recognizably "birthday-ish" cake I could find with different colored icing, sprinkles and balloons on it. I also got a musical birthday card that played "The Chicken Dance" song.

Just after we sang "Happy Birthday" and he blew out his candles, I gave him the card.

He called me the next day and when I asked him if he had a good birthday he said, "Oh yeah!" and started humming "The Chicken Dance". I think following up the cake (a major visual) with music really made a lasting memory for him - making him happy - and making us feel like we had won a million dollars!
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: since98

these are a few creative ways my sister and I have found helpful in dealing with my 63 yo stage 6 mom. she's been alz. at least 8 years, with the last the worst in the downhill slide
-washing- tell her this "special" soap or shampoo will help her with the medication, that worked for a few months, it also worked with the EEG's and other tests. she hates to wash up and wash her hair, but the "special" soap (baby shampoo) is the easiest way to get her to get clean.
-I bought the quietest hairdryer and softest brush I could find, she HATES noise (and vaccuums)...
-she smokes, I'm still looking at ways to stop that, the burn holes are getting scary!
-she sees men in her ceiling, I tried getting her a squirt gun to "shoot" them, works so far
-her underwear troubles her, we tried writing front and back on them, but she's not reading...duh...
-the meds, we tell her they're super power pills, they will help her with her balance
-she's not incont. yet, any ideas on that?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SAlexa

My mother moved in with me several years ago. She was a smoker for many years. I do not allow smoking in my home.She had to go outside to smoke and yes set many flower pots on fire. However it did cut the smoking down and crabby as she was it eventually worked out.
Last year she had eye surgery. During her recovery I did not give her one cigarette and in a week she stopped asking.
She now tells everyone she gave it up however most of the time she did not even remember she smoked.
She is now 83 and has stages of alzheimers.

Salexa

× Close Menu