Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Bill paying
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 6:13 AM

Originally posted by: kevinsgirl

My FIL is in the early middle stages of Alz. My MIL is mostly in denial. My FIL still pays the bills--but doesn't know how often. He overpays or misses payments, plus he sends $100s each month to 'charities'. We're trying to get it arranged with our mail carriers (my husband & I have the same one as they do)to bring their outgoing mail here so we can double check it...

Do you have any tips or tricks that might work? Thank you!!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 6:13 AM
Originally posted by: Excel Adventures

Dear DIL: Can you and/or your husband get Power of Attorney for this man? Can you have your husband added to their checking account as a signor? You must get him to the doctor so that the MIL & FIL will understand and believe. The most common reaction to these memory problems is denial from the actual AD person and the family members.
My friend slipped a note to the doctors assistant about her mother's memory problems so she did not have to "tell on her mother". Doctor sent her for testing. The testing doctor was tender and showed the AD via simple memory tests. Denial is still around a bit, but alternates with acceptance. It's important to diagnose as early as possible and get proper meds. Best wishes.

× Close Menu