Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Massage Therapy
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 7:00 AM

Originally posted by: Victoria R

Hi I'm new to the boards... My mother has Lewy Body Dementia... I'm the type who is always trying to fix things -- so have found lots of successful things that has helped mom... Will share with you all individually.

The first and by far the best thing I did was set up weekly geriatric massages for my mom. When she was at her worst (Lewy-coma state - if you know about Lewy Body you know what I'm talking about) you can see the difference in her before and after having a "compassionate touch" massage...

The woman I found also does Music Therapy with her too - if you're in MA I can let you know who she is. She's wonderful with mom! Mom kisses her hand before she leaves...

Go to this site to find someone trained in "compassionate touch" in your area.

www.compassionate-touch.org
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ceejay2005

does anyone think massage therapy is a proffession that can be taken seriously? i really want to take massage therapy and my sister thinks it is for sluts and whores. i don't think so. i am 21 and pregnant. lol. i will take the class after i have my baby. what do you think?
-------
http://doctorfinders.com/doctors-phoenix-az.html
Anonymous
Originally posted by: JAB

CJ, if you practice massage as a serious therapy, then it is a serious profession. Before the economic crisis, many companies were starting to bring in massage therapists for their staff -- it was considered a valuable perk. I'm not sure how stable massage is as a career when the economy goes south, however. I would suggest that you check into whether you could practice as a therapist associated with nursing homes, hospitals, assisted living facilities, etc, if that kind of thing would appeal to you. I suspect you'd have a bit more financial security that way.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: barbara McG

Hey Victoria,
I am in Western Mass, and would love to get my mom to at least try massage. I do her feet and hands before bed once or twice a week.
Thanks for posting. I went for a ten minute massage last week and I highly recommend massage for caregivers. I had been having some troubles with my heart chakra (what a surprise!!). After just ten minutes of massage and reiki - I feel almost brand new! I am scheduling a longer session this week.

peace,
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jeffreyfrog

Coming from someone who has hired and fired at least 30...

I try and find someone who is actually smarter than I am... and wont let me get away with anything and can counter my negative tendencies and outsmart me.

Hence all the hiring and firing.

I neither have one or need one anymore as a result of figuring out that self deception is at the root of your need for someone else to sort you out to begin with.

Basically YOU are the best therapist you can find if you are honest with yourself and your condition and if you allow yourself to be who and what you are, lest all of the unimportant opinions of everyone else around you...

http://www.swiha.edu
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

Massage therapy can be very good for you.She's wrong don't listen to her.It is very relaxing & does wonders for tight muscles.......
Anonymous
Originally posted by: just exhibit love

Hi victoria

I so believe in the power..of touch..

your mom is blessed..you have found successful things that have helped her..Namaste Rosie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Jeffreyfrog,
You sound a little bitter? People here are just trying to help each other. Sharing ideas, what works for some may work for others. We understand that everyone is an individual and each experience with dementia/AD is unique. A little help never hurts!

Peace and Hope,
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Margi J

MaysDaughter, Your Mother is very fortunate to have you/ I hope my daughters will come thru for me as you have. My oldest has offered to take me to get a massage but I just haven't yet. Now I will. I should know better. before AD I was a nurse on a dementia ward and did use massage therapy and music for my residents. I worked at night but there were always some up and I found something for each of them. I scoured the thrift shops and found melmac cups and saucers - most familiar to that age group and we had "tea parties" I got cookies at the dollar store. soft ones that they could eat without their teeth. and got extra applesauce and pudding from the facility. Also had hi protein cookies that the facility would make for those with poor appetites. Some residents and I were "buddies" till they progressed past staying up at night. I always had music playing. lots of cds with just soothing songs. it helped many agitated residents to calm down. I loved them so much. I still go see them. One is 99 and I was there with her for 5 years. she still calls my name.
Carolina's Songbird is right. I would rub hands using lavender lotion and shoulders. We did the feet and legs when they were in bed usually and I brought some foot cream to keep their feet soft and smooth.
take care
Margi
Anonymous
Originally posted by: MaysDaughter

I wonder if there are people who specialize in massages for the elderly, etc?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: MeaganSandwichlady

Thanks Victoria! I am new here, but I have had a similar experience with my mom. She recently moved into a nursing home (alternative residence)She has been complaining of back pain for several months and has been really agitated at the home. I give her about a 30 minute massage and it changes her mood considerably. I will check out your website.- for when I can't be there. Too far from MA to use your lady. Your mom is very lucky to have a "fixer" like you!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Marlaa

Victoria, I am new to the boards. My brother is a massage therapist. He comes every otehr day to massage our mom's shoulders, neck muscles, stretch those shortened muscles. What an improvement he has made by coming so often. I try to squeeze in there every now and then too. I love a great massageI am a huge believer in massgae being good for you in every aspect.> So keep up the good owrk with yoru mom! I'm sure she enjoys it.
Take Care, Marla
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Carolina Songbird

One way to find a massage therapist who works well with the elderly is to call a Hospice agency. Many of them work with massage therapists, so ask who they use. These are usually independent contractors, so they take non-Hospice clients as well. They know how to work with a client who has limited mobility and orientation. I know how much massage helps my stress level, so I think it could be very helpful.

However, be sensitive to generational differences. To today's middle-aged and younger folks, having a massage is very normal. To someone in their 80s, it might seem overly touchy-feely and intimate. You could start with asking the therapist just to work on shoulder, head, neck and arms, for example, and see how that is accepted. Legs and back may seem too intrusive at first.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

Opps I misread your post.Yes,it's an honorable profession & good money too.Go for it!!

× Close Menu