Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Low-tech door alarm for wandering?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 10:24 AM
Originally posted by: ASY

BevP- Please try the following link on how to deal with a spouse with ALZ :http://www.thealzheimerspouse.com/This website can give you so much information and support. It is so different when the one who has the the disease is your spouse. ASY
Anonymous
Originally posted by: susan april

BevP
I installed chain locks up high on the doors. Mama couldn't figure out how to work them and I didn't have to chase her down the driveway anymore. It only cost about $10 and was easy to install.
Good Luck
Susan
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jan sand

A couple of low tech & low cost ( <$10) options that worked for me:
Wind chimes hung from the ceiling with just the flag low enough to move every time the door is opened. I used ones with different tones so I knew which door was being opened.
Battery operated door/window alarms, some have self adhesive strips.
There are also some motion activated alarms you can get from most dept. or hardware stores though I think they were closer to $20.
My occasional wanderer has moved to the stage where he sleeps 20+ hours a day. I actually miss the times when he was getting into mischief.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: BevP

Have any of you had the need to install a door alarm to alert caregivers of their wandering spouses?

I ask that it be low-tech because I have no brothers and will probably have to install the thing myself. My parents have a luan door, too...

What have you all tried?
Thanks,
BevP
Anonymous
Originally posted by: kbc

I had the problem with my mother always leaving the house. I purchased a door alarm from the Alzheimer's Store...I think if you google that it should take you to the website. It worked great! It was a small gizmo that attached easily to your door, you could purchase as many as needed. It came with a wireless receiver that plugged into the wall. I purchased an extra receiver but only needed one of the door pieces. I placed one receiver in my bedroom and one upstairs. The volume is adjustable and you can choose the tune that it plays so its not a startling alarm. It has allowed me the opportunity to turn my back for a minute or use the bathroom without rushing, etc.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: eileenv

Hay Bev, we use 2 locks and 1 chain lock way up high to secure the front door. We have a windchime of sorts that makes a sound when the door is moved.
My Dad can't figure out the top chain lock so it's been working.
We live in an apartment building, so securing the doors is alittle easier than in a private home.

Take care
Eileen
Anonymous
Originally posted by: leebosay

Home Depot sells wireless doorbells. There is an extra accessory they sell that attaches to the door, it triggers the bell every time the door is opened. The actual bell simply plugs into any electrical wall outlet. VERY easy to install.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Crystal S

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly as I don't know what your needs are, but at the Alzheimer's unit at my grandmother's NH, they use bed alarms and chair alarms in addition to the security system with a keypad. I would think you could probably get the bed or chair alarm pretty cheap if that would work for you.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: mikeS

I have 2 folding chairs which are still in their original box. I just slide the box/chairs in front of our front condo door and lean it against the door handle. Has worked for 5 months to keep mom from going outside on her own, but easy to move when we do want to exit. A friend gave me a chain lock, but so far haven't needed to install.

Mike

× Close Menu