Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Helpful iron / thyroid med
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 10:30 AM
Originally posted by: Rose_Ro

Hmmm...my mom sees her doctor next week.

She doesn't take iron every day, not even every three days...plus, she's had some anemia some times, and taken the recommended iron.

What is your background? Were you the one with thryoid problems?

I can't think of when I ''strongly advocate'' anything.

You know, i was going to say some more things, but then remembered some of your previous posts.

Never mind. She's seen several doctors, in the hospital and out, and none mentioned the occasional use of iron as causing her harm.

As I said, never mind. I would never advocate anyone using anything without talking to their doctor. As for interactions - my mom is not on many medications, and not taking many supplements.

But you certainly sound like you think you know what you're talking about Smiler

I looked back and saw what I wrote. I should not have written ''every day.'' She certainly wasn't.

The doctor we see knows of the book I am referencing. We'll see what she says when my mom sees her again.
Anonymous

ha! Interesting post. Within the end of the month, my mom had diverticulitis and was in the hospital, also with a UTI!

Her number one symptom was fatigue, but she was doing so much! And she wanted to do so much! And then she got confused - but I started writing it off as part of the disease...

Oh well, she's back on the mend Smiler
Internal Administrator

Continues to help.

I am amazed at how well my mom, how she improves. Her thyroid and iron levels were always ''normal'' or close to normal. free T3 was low last year...one time...

She's been on 18 - 27 mg of iron every day now. I knew that anemia could be an issue for her, it's been for me. I always thought that was because I bled heavily during my period.

My mom used to be so tired, slept a lot. I thought it was part of this disease.

Also, she's now on 120 mg of thyroid (Switched to Nature throid, similar to Armour).

On Wednesday, she went to work with my father for a little, and then he took her to a shoe store. Of course, it was a little confusing to her, SO many shoes. And she was tired. So they came home.

Thursday, they went out to Mass at noon.

Friday, the same.

She's also been on the deck, walking, with myself and my father at times. We have a little rabbit that likes to come around, around dinner, and she's been walking on the deck by herself, looking for him ( a pet with no burdens!) There's just the one, he (or she) hasn't brought any friends or relatives!

She's not out there long without one of us, and the door is right near the deck. But she wouldn't even go on the deck or outside at times last year.

Yesterday was the kicker. I thought she'd be tired from all she did during the week (she usually needs a day to rest, in the past).

My parents went down the shore to check on the house. On the way back, they stopped to visit his brother and my aunt. My mom hasn't seen them in more than a year! They stayed for a while...they were gone for almost 6 hours. The longest they've been gone anywhere in more than a year.

My mom was tired when she got home. It was time for her iron. She took a rest, but didn't even sleep. Then Lawrence Welk was on , and she and my father danced to different songs

Oh, and she said, when resting, do you want to go out to dinner? I didn't think she really had the energy...and I wasn't up for it.

She did go to sleep at about 8:30 PM. Unfortunately, local fireworks woke her up at about 9:30, and she was confused by the very loud noises. But she went back to sleep.

Now, she and my father are at church!

I do watch her closely...for signs of being very tired or confused. But I wish I had found this info earlier.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Tom(ek)

In case of Alzheimer's Disease problems with thyroid can be caused by tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) deficiency:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2600464/
"Barford et al reported that tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), which is a co-enzyme of NOS, is decreased significantly in the AD brain."

(http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/e...2104261/m/8554090708 )

BH4 is an enzyme which converts phenylalanine into tyrosine. Tyrosine is a substrate (source) for tyroxine (T4 thyroid hormone).
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ElizabethNC

Rose, 18-27 mg. of iron a day is waaaay too much for an elderly person. The recommended dose for a woman over 50 is 10 mg.

Iron overdose could very well be the source of your mother's intestinal infection as well as her UTI, as it can have the paradoxical effect of lowering immunity.

I am concerned about the number and kinds of OTC supplements you have talked about giving your mother and which you strongly advocate for members' LOs without giving much attention to potential side effects or drug interactions.

Just because a supplement is sold without a prescription does not mean it is safe, especially for our LOs who often have so many other medical problems.

Drugs.com has a great drug-interaction checking tool in addition to detailed information on side effects. They deal with many OTC supplements in addition to prescription drugs. Check it out--I think you'll find it to be a gold mine of information.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Heidi L

when on thyroid meds watch the it ronnot tobe taken together at all, or forme Ic anot even cookin a cast iron skillet or eat over 25 mg of spoy ioreat goitergeneric foods Ihave most of thyroid utonly top lobe left nad have hshimotoes thyroidit where they thyroid attacks itself nd then it gets hard nodules like forzen choclate too.so forme take thyroid frst thingin am then I can cookin cast iron skillet or take my mutlti with ironin it a few hours later. I dnot seeanything wrong with yurmoms supplemnts my huby nad I both tkae fish,flax oil, co-q-10 cause I amkna statin then I take super b nd mag and probiodicticsnad milk thistle too i alsohave fibromyalgand a prior vol first repsonder ned toupdate my class this yernda then dothe JFRD debris field too but talkit over with yur dr ask fiora complete blood count tooand check anemia nad thyroid allt3 t 4 freet and then a test for the autoimmune disease gastritis where yur stomach liing attacks itself. but check wiht yur dr for all of us know what works well for one person might not work well for another person best of lucknad so glad itis helping yur mom
Anonymous

Looking at the dates, is this ''payback'' for my comments to Still Tryin', who is always going after people about money?
Anonymous

My mom does not take ''many supplements.'' B vitamins, fish oil, digestive enzymes, Vitamin C, E, CoQ10, probiotics...a few minor ones...

My mom was taking these long before the problems of the last year. She had high cholesterol, and began taking salmon oil 12 years ago...on her own, not my idea at all. It helped lower her ''bad'' cholesterol, and it raised her ''good'' cholesterol to a great level.

She never takes anything she doesn't want to...and as I said, we see her doctor next week for blood work. She knows my mom the best!

Just to add, my mom sleeps great, doesn't sundown, hasn't had a cold in more than two to three years (her UTI in July was probably more related to hygiene, unfortunately...on the other hand, I am not someone who has to help her with everything in the bathroom)...She doesn't have delusions, knows what day of the week it is, usually the month, certainly the season, and has great conversations...anyway, as I said, I remember some of your ''comments'' in the past, and will just let it go at that.
Anonymous

I don't like to be discussing this too much, but in fact, my mom was able to do things she would NOT have been able to do a year ago.

She was able to make the 3 hour round trip to her grandson's funeral, be in pretty good spirits for most of the time. She was able to absorb his loss without getting terribly upset, or depressed. She wasn't traumatized by this terrible event, although I watch her for signs of any problems.

Is the Alzh Assoc ''allowing'' you to diagnose people via the internet (saying the infections might be linked to iron). You are certainly overstepping boundaries, no doctor would diagnose that way. It should be offensive to people that you are doing that.

× Close Menu