Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Has anyone used the drug Exelon for dementia.
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 1:56 PM

Originally posted by: george's son

We moved dad into an assisted living facility three weeks ago. He has mild to mid range dementia. He is given Ativan 3 times daily for agitation. I have heard this is not a good long term drug. I took dad to see a new Doc today who suggested Exelon pill or patch. any suggestions or experiances good or bad?
Thanks,
Bob from Sf bay area
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Auntie Anne

quote:
EBIXA that made him more lively and was able to help me again in garden etc. Still on them but i also think that RESIRADAL 1mg helps with sleeping at night and agitatiou,hope this helps pipann.

Hi Chrischris, my dad is on Excelon pills and Namenda. He is doing far better than on the aricept, which made him mean. I was wondering what the difference is between the above quoted medication and the Excelon and Namenda. He showed so much improvement when we started up the E and N, but it has not held its momentum. What do you think?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: KSS

Smiler Hello My mother started taking Exelon when she began to become upset where she was living...which has been her home for 13 years. She kept telling her family that a new home was being built across the street and would not hear from any of us that she was already at home. She then began to wander and left the house twice. She was not sleeping and would wake up to panic attacks not wanting to be home. Her doctor placed her on Exelon patch with a small dose of 3. mg we did not see much of a different but after a week her dosage was increased to 6. mg and seen an immediate difference, she is happy, laughing and seems to really enjoy life again. She has forgotten about the house being built across the street. We did do some upgrades to her place and packed up a few items to get rid of some clutter that made it less confusing for her. She is doing fine it has been 5 days in a row with laughter and smiles. Thank you Lord. She is a sweety.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: lock

hello my name is pat i am new with the site. it seems when i start to get on i have to get as soonas i get on.maybe i will get to talk for awhile. my husband is 65 has been diagnosed for 4 years has been on exelon and now namenda . at first it seemed to help but now its doesnt seem to be helping. i have thought about just taking him off gradually of course and just let nature take its course. but of course the dr doesnt want me to. he is on an antidepressent which helps .the dr put him on an antisychotic twice and it made him worse with the aggitation and meanness.i would not suggest anyone being on that . it is just so hard .ifeel he is a guinie pig sometimes. i realize the drs are doing the best they can just like we are.i just pray a cure will be found one day because unless the good lord heals him because all the medicine in the world is not going to stop the inevitable.im sorry dont mean to sound so gloom . it just hurts so bad.i am thankful to have other people to talk to that understands. and iam so sorry that your loved one and you are having to go through this.it is the worse disease to have to go through. god bless you all
Anonymous
Originally posted by: lmodhb

A few months ago both my parents were diagnosed with dementia. They both were given excelon. My father has done great on the pills and my mom needed to go on the patch. She seems to be doing a little better also. She was further along than him. I do "work your brain" stuff with her everyday so I am not sure which is working better.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Chrischris,
Welcome to our forum. You are knowledgeable about finding information. Tell us something abot yourself.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Chrischris

quote:
Originally posted by lmodhb:
A few months ago both my parents were diagnosed with dementia. They both were given excelon. My father has done great on the pills and my mom needed to go on the patch. She seems to be doing a little better also. She was further along than him. I do "work your brain" stuff with her everyday so I am not sure which is working better.

Excelon works better, but be careful if you are giving any medications that interact with excelon and make the side effects worst.
You can find the list at http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/exelon.html
Anonymous
Originally posted by: younghope1

Hi Bob, Exelon is a medication I was on for 2 years or so. It is one of the meds used for short term memory loss. I am not aware that it has any uses for agitation. For me as short termmermory loss it did well until it no longer worked for me.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jpcc

i am early stage AD TAKE 1.5 EXELON every morning-- you must eat heartily before taking or else side effects kick in dizziness nausea however we find it has a definite calming effect
Anonymous
Originally posted by: pipann

HI bob,my husband is now 64, been on EXELON4.5mg for 9yrs,(6mg made him feel sick)side affects only little dizzy and tied,3yrs ago he also went on EBIXA that made him more lively and was able to help me again in garden etc. Still on them but i also think that RESIRADAL 1mg helps with sleeping at night and agitatiou,hope this helps pipann.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Brit26

Hello, I am an 82 year old,have been using the Exelon patch for 8 days, it seems to have helped with my memory and slurred speech,no side effects so far, of course I am on low starter dosage. Find most of your comments positive and encouraging,I truly find this web page an answer to prayer,it helps me keep in the front of my mind that God is good,He watches over us all in good times and bad.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: tina-montreal

Hi Bob,
My mother (79 - moderate-mid AD)just started on Exelon after her doc found the Reminyl she'd been taking for 2 yrs was no longer effective. Doc said it should help allay her anxiety somewhat but she is also on low-dose Paxil and low-dose Buspirone (at nite only to help her sleep). I am always concerned, I don't really believe the meds help much, but I guess I'm a little desperate. She's still great company though!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

I have found for me Razadyne works great..............
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ZOEY M

Mom took it for awhile....but as of 11/1 she is OFF all meds....what can I do? At first I freeked......was in a tailspin......then I thought, well GOD, its in your hands....so far, so good.....she is not bad at all.....they really didn't work that well for Mom, your LO may be different......its not for everyone... but for Mom it is ok for now....GOOD LUCK Friend ......Z Roll Eyes
Anonymous
Originally posted by: susan april

My mother was started on low dose Exelon back when she was first diagnosed 11 years ago. She is still taking it, but now up to 12 mg a day. You're right about eating with it, Jimmy. I have found that she needed protein with her dose. It seems that protein digests slower than other foods, so gives her time to digest the med. She is also on Namenda. I think it worked well for many years, but we will discontinue the meds pretty soon.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: vjh

My dad took exelon and it did help his memory, but did a number on his GI system. Exelon as others have stated is for memory and not specifically for behavior. My mom was taking ativan regularly for aggitation until the MD increased her respiradol back to 0.5 mg daily and now she no longer needs the ativan. Mom refused memory medications much earlier in the disease and I have respected that choice now.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: cerebral

One of the cold realities of this disease is simply that it seems unstoppable. No matter how many meds someone is on or what they do, the brain begins to die sooner or later. This seems to be a natural part of life encoded into our DNA. I read a great book by a neurosurgeon entitled "When the Air Hits Your Brain" where he talks about facing the inevitability of death as a doctor. The best that modern medicine can do is hold off death for a few precious years. No doctor or medicine will stop death from happening.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: kclack

Since your post is several months old, I'm not sure if you still want any suggestions, but, I can attest that my mom has been on Excelon and Namenda for two years and she has done great. No side affects that I have seen and it has kept her very stable with her memory. She takes it in pill form.
Blessings to you, KClack

× Close Menu