Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
She can find the toilet and her bed afterwards, so I can sleep!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:48 AM
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Dear Jezza: You never fail to amaze! This one has me smiling because it's absolutely brilliant.

Kudos to you,

Johanna C.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ValRe

Jezza, I think you are brilliant! I don't think I would have ever thought of a back-lit toilet.
Thank you so much for posting your solution.

Namaste.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Rubie

That's a wonderful idea! Wish I had thought of it when I was caretaking mom.

But we had something similar using lights. We had those Christmas 'rope' lights, and ran them along the floorboard all the way from her room to the bathroom (she had a commode in her room, but for times when she wanted to go to the bathroom for whatever reason, this worked wonderful).

We called it her 'runway', because that's what it looked like! LOL!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Wow Jezza,

That sounds like a winner.

Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: just exhibit love

Hi Jessa

your gram is blessed you are in her Life..Namaste Love Rosie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: crella

Jezza, that's brilliant! Laurette is lucky to have you.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

Smart thinking!

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: sheryl726

Jezza,
That is creativity at its best.
Thanks!
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Jezza

At my house we have had increasing difficulty finding the toilet in the middle of the night. My grandmother Laurette gets up 3-4 times every night to use the toilet and she was showing increasing signs of disorientation when trying to find it. We had a few major messes where she sat on a chair, the edge of the bed, directly on the carpet, etc, so I started looking for solutions.

The first was a baby monitor so I could help, of course, but then I had to get up too. General low level lights helped a little bit. But then a stroke of genius:

I backlit the toilet and removed the door to the attached bathroom.

Behind the toilet on the floor I have a light that is controlled by a dimmer. In the middle of the night all you can see as you look towards the bathroom is the glowing outline of a toilet. It's a dim light that stays on all night long. As problems increase I can turn the light up since it's on a dimmer.

I also added a motion detector light switch in the bathroom, so when she walks in the normal light turns on and remains on for 3-4 minutes after she leaves. Since the door is gone this provides enough light for her to find her bed and settle down again, after which it turns off and we're back to the glowing toilet.

I can sleep again!

× Close Menu