Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Tilly
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 2:42 PM

Originally posted by: MarieFS

My mom, AKA Tilly, was diagnosed with early onset frontal lobe dementia in her early 50's, when I was about 23. Becoming accustomed to it was very difficult, but I have been one of her caregivers for about 10 years now. I was completely unaware of how to deal at first, but as she worsened, I knew that I had to. One of the most important things for her, day to day, has been personal interaction, keeping her engaged in any way. I, myself, have kept this going through any means possible, whether it be through speech, touch, or having her use baby toys. And I cannot overemphasize enough the importance of the use of toys, whether it be dolls or toys with buttons that light up and make noise! My mother played with these all the time and really enjoyed them. Not only that, I feel they helped keep her mind active longer. Unfortunately, she is not really able to use them any more because she is currently in the end stages of her disease. Her eyes are always closed and she is always in a wheelchair, showing very little movement. However, we still keep her at home through the use of in-home caregivers and she is amazingly still able to eat. Doctors are amazed by her and I feel it is much do to the love and care she has received by her loved ones. So if there is any advice I can give to someone who is taking care of a loved one going through a similar disease, do anything to keep the mind going. Remember who that person is. What music do they like? Use toys. Make sure you talk to them. And in the process, be gentle and patient--just go with the flow and laugh. And don't forget to hold hands! Good luck and God bless.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Deirdre44

welcome! Thank you.

That is very touching, and very true.

Also, always believe your instincts.

I thought the doctors weren't helping my mom enough, so we kept going until we found a doctor who diagnosed a UTI. She had other things going on, but needed help for the UTI
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Martie,
Welcome to our world. We're so glad you found us and shared your wisdom with the group.

And may you continue to find more wisdom as you continue loving your mom.

× Close Menu