Donate
RSS Feed Print
Nicotinamide/Niacinamide
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 3:18 AM
Originally posted by: Jim_Knox

...this is a general reply to niacinamide....I use Freeda's formulation (no preservatives)...I give my wife 2x250 mg tabs x 4 daily....is it helping?....we have only been on the protocol for ~ 2 mo...the UC Irvine results in mice said it took 4 months for the symptoms to disappear in mice...I cannot relate that to human length of time required....niacinamide is also good for arthritis treatment...my wife has a severely arthritic knee which she was verbally complaining about two months ago....in the last month she has had no knee complaints and has not asked for Cellebrex...so use that as you will....

kind regards,

Jim
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: DebZ

Have we determined if Nicotinamide is the same as Niacinamide?? I think I may have read somewhere that it is??

Was looking to purchase some online and I found this one product review which I thought was interesting:

"This product was recommended to my husband by his physician for his many health problems - heart, diabetic, etc. I started taking it too and it helped my memory - WOW - very helpful I might add in my job"
Anonymous
Originally posted by: john1943

Dr. Newport,

I take 500 mg of niacin to raise my HDL. I also take 20 mg lovastatin. This is to keep the plaque out of my coronary arteries.

I really don't know if niacin or niacinamide is better for AD except for what we have been discussing here.

I am aware that too much niacin in conjunction with statins can raise liver enzymes and may not be suitable in large doses for people who are already on statin therapy.

Does Dr. Veechof have any citations he can quote regarding niacin and AD? I have read that simvastatin was shown to be beneficial for AD (but I'm ready to go on vacation and can't locate the reference right now).

Also, I'm not so sure about eggs and CAD for those at risk for the latter.

John
Anonymous
Originally posted by: swarfmaker

quote:
I’m guessing that in the original, highly successful trial in which niacinamide "cured" the Alzheimer mice, the mice were ingesting the niacinamide in their water numerous times a day, not just in 2 big doses.

Yes, it was in their water. I think the link to an article about this can be found in earlier posts to this thread. If I remember correctly, the dosage worked out to about 2000mg per day for an "average" weight human.
Anonymous

Anybody using B3?? Anything to report??

The B3 clinical trial is ongoing - they won't have any results until early next year, tho. ..."it has been the most promising therapy that we have tested thus far (at least in mice!)" Let's hope they can say that about their clinical trial results!!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jellybeans

DebZ or John, have you noticed improvements in your LOs since starting this?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: LouiseR

Had an interesting conversation with mom's doc today.

He okayed adding nicotinamide. Gotta buy some of that tomorrow.
Anonymous

Hello Dr. Newport - I'm confused now. There is a clinical trial currently underway sponsored by the Univ. of Cailfornia/Irvine and the Alzheimer's Association using Nicotinamide, 1500mg twice a day for 6 months.

"The goal of this proposal is to show that Nicotinamide (NA), a B3 vitamin, is safe and effective for the treatment of patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. NA is known to block the ability of certain proteins to regulate other proteins by removing their acetyl groups. Recent evidence has demonstrated that inhibitors such as NA prevent nerve cell degeneration in models of Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease and Lou Gehrig's disease. Despite these beneficial effects in many different animal models, there have been no studies to date using these inhibitors in AD. In some of our recent studies we found that the potent inhibitor NA significantly improves learning and memory in transgenic mice that develop AD. NA treatment also resulted in striking changes in tau, a protein that abnormally accumulates in AD...."
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Dr Mary Newport

I talked with Dr. Richard Veechof the NIH (MD/PhD) whose expertise is biochemistry/metabolism and he advised that we should be looking for niacin or nicotinic acid, not nicotinamide or niacinamide, since the latter two do not bind to the receptors that we are concerned with. He suggested starting with 500 mg a couple times a day and increase as tolerated to 3000 mg total divided into 2-3 doses a day; some people will have flushing, although there are "no flush" formulas and this effect should go away after several weeks.
Anonymous

I did notice that. But I was basing the dose on what they were giving the mice in the original article I read. If I remember correctly, was in their water.

I don't know if the higher dose would help.

The problem I have, and why I want to discontinue using it, is that my mother insists on chewing everything. So, I have to dump the contents of the capsules in food. This stuff is bitter, and it becomes a real struggle to get the food down her. She just sits there with it in her mouth, until it runs down her chin. Since I haven't read anything real encouraging about it, I think I'll let others experiment with this one.
Anonymous

I prefer to refer to it as "niacinamide" because "nicotinamide" sounds too much like "nicotine", and that makes people think of cigarettes.

By the way, is nicotinamide somehow related to nicotine? I haven't seen any mention of this yet.
Anonymous

It certainly seems to be. I found these two references on ChemIndustry.com

niacinamide:
http://www.chemindustry.com/chemicals/485046.html

nicotinamide: http://www.chemindustry.com/chemicals/484769.html

And this:
http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=936

What you are quoting above goes along with this article form ScienceDail.com:

"Vitamin B3 Reduces Alzheimer's Symptoms, Lesions: Clinical Trial On Nicotinamide Effect In Alzheimer's Patients"
ScienceDaily (Nov. 5, 200

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081104180926.htm

I found it at my local healthfood store for less than $6 for 100 ct. 500mg. I think I bought Now Foods brand, but there were several to choose from.

(I was thinking of trying it for myself too!!!)
Anonymous
Originally posted by: wally71

John, Thankyou for your reply, now I know what to buy for my wife.
Have a nice day, Wally
Anonymous
Originally posted by: onward

Jim, thanks for posting about the niacinamide. That's interesting about her arthritis too.

Initially, I think, they were supposed to report the results of the human trial (with niacinamide for AD) in January 2010, but looks like it's been postponed til Jan. 2011.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/...alzheimer%27s&rank=1

I wonder if anyone here is involved in the trial, or has heard anything about the how it's going...
Anonymous

Me too, Swarfmaker!!
Anonymous

Jellybeans,

I cannot say that using the niacinamide has had any positive effect on my wife. She has declined a bit over the last few months. However, I continue to use it in the hope it is slowing the decline.

By the way, if you missed my answer to your question about a Michigan doctor on another thread, here is another copy of it:

Jellybeans,

My wife sees Dr. Rentz at the Michigan Institute for Neurological Disorders (MIND) in Farmington Hills, MI. That's a suburb of Detroit.

28595 Orchard Lake Rd # 200
Farmington Hills, MI 48334-2979
(24 553-0010
www.mindonline.com
Anonymous
Originally posted by: wally71

OK, after reading all the posts on this subject, I still do not know what to buy.???
Do I look for Nicotinomide, or Niacinamide, or just plain Vitamin3. Thankyou, Wally.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: sheryl726

Onward,
Welcome to alz.org
This site has been the support I have needed during my journey with my mother.
Please post in caregivers forum sometime. This site is of course read by those searching medication plus you have picked up a old thread.
You can look at date posted at top of your message or preceding one. If you wish could start your own thread by using red tab on left of box "Start a new discussion or poll" and will drop down and click on discussion. That way you get timely responses.
Can always look for information as you found this by using find tab.
Welcome and glad you are here.
Anonymous

OK - I see your point! I may give it another shot and try to get my bro to try it. I'll let you know if I'm successful.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: LouiseR

Mom has a doc appt tomorrow, I'm going to ask him about adding nicotinamide (and curcumin, too).
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Pecan King

Onward - we have been using 3 500mg doses daily for 2 months with no side effects and plan to increase to 6 500mg doses daily.

Our doctor consented to this dosage schedule.
Anonymous

Thank you. I'm very interested in his response.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jim_Knox

onward...can't wait until 2011 to see if it works in clinical trials....I gave myself permission to help my wife any way I could as soon as I could...looked up your biblical reference...appropriate!...I am a self trained biblical scholar and have written 15-20 papers over the last 20 yrs....

kind regards,

Jim
Anonymous

Swarf - did you notice the clinical trial is giving the participants 1500mg twice a day? Do you think that would make a difference perhaps in why you are not seeing anything with your Mom??
Anonymous

Please, does anyone have any updates on using niacinamide for alzheimer’s or other memory/cognitive problems?

I’ve heard 2 anecdotal reports of people being helped by it. In one case, I was told (by an MD) that it “really helped” someone. But I’ve been unable to find out the dosage or schedule.

The human trial being conducted at UCLA was supposed to conclude in Jan. 2010. I’m told that the trial is still ongoing and they don’t expect to release results till late 2010 or early 2011.

If I understand right, the trial participants are receiving about 2000 to 3000 mg. per day, usually 1500 mg. twice a day.

But - there are sources I’ve seen online that are suggesting that the human body can’t absorb more than 250 mg. of niacinamide at a time, and therefore, rather than taking 1500 mg. twice a day, it’s probably better to divide it into doses of just 250 mg. every 90 minutes or so.

Those who are saying this are “alternative”- type writers, not necessarily MDs, and would probably be considered controversial sources.

I’m guessing that in the original, highly successful trial in which niacinamide "cured" the Alzheimer mice, the mice were ingesting the niacinamide in their water numerous times a day, not just in 2 big doses.

In any case, can anyone here please give updates on trying niacinamide? Or have you heard any reports of what has and hasn’t worked?

Has anyone tried the smaller, more frequent doses? Please tell what dosage schedule was used. Thanks.
Anonymous

Sheryl, Pecan King and swarfmaker, thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm very interested to hear of anyone who's seen or heard of any positive cognitive results (in humans, not mice) using niacinamide.

Am wondering, as mentioned in my post above, if frequent low doses of 250 mg of niacinamide (rather than just 2 or 3 higher doses daily) might turn out to be a key to effectiveness.

I don't know enough to vouch for the accuracy of this, but fwiw, here's a quote from a paper about a researcher of a past generation who did a lot of work with niacinamide for various conditions:

"Dr. [William] Kaufman advocated relatively modest quantities of niacinamide (250 mg) per dose but stressed the importance of the frequency of those doses. With the water-soluble vitamins, at any given quantity, frequently divided doses are invariably more effective... The (more frequent) 250 mg dose of niacinamide is 40 to 50% more effective in the treatment of arthritis than the (less frequent) 500 mg. dose."
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jellybeans

Thanks so much, JohnSmiler.
I appreciate the information, but I'm sorry to read that your wife is declining.
Anonymous

This article might have made its rounds once before, but I'll post it anyway just in case.

http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=2049

A couple of quotes from the article:

"Nicotinamide is a water soluble member of the B vitamin group. Also known as niacinamide,"

"nicotinamide did not affect levels of the protein beta amyloid, which clumps in the brain to form plaques, the second type of Alzheimer’s lesion. Given this lack of effect on beta amyloid levels, the researchers figured the compound must be improving cognition through some other mechanism. Upon analyzing protein extracts from whole brain samples of treated and control AD mice, they found a 20 percent reduction in levels of tau in the nicotinamide-treated animals."
Anonymous

This is something I'm definitely going to get my bro on as soon as he gets here.

More from articles:

"Nicotinamide, a form of vitamin B3, lowered levels of a protein called phosphorylated tau that leads to the development of tangles, one of two brain lesions associated with AD. The vitamin also strengthened scaffolding along which information travels in brain cells, helping to keep neurons alive and further preventing symptoms in mice genetically wired to develop AD.

Nicotinamide has a very robust effect on neurons... prevents loss of cognition in mice with AD, and the beauty of it is we already are moving forward with a clinical trial."

The clinical trial start date is January 2008; completion date January 2010. Subjects will receive 1500mg twice a day for 6 months.
Anonymous

Wally,

Here are a couple of random picks I made from iHerbs.com. Either one would work for you.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2036&at=0

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1348&at=0

The clinical trial that has been discussed is administering 1500 mg, twice a day. That's more than what the labels on these bottles call for. However, I give my wife 1500mg, twice a day and she has no problems.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: cerebral

This is a very good question swarfmaker. Nicotinamide (niacinimide) is a form of nicotinic acid. As you may know, inside the brain are nicotinic acetylcholine receptors that appear to be involved with AD. Besides being an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, Galantamine (for example) also works on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. What I am not exactly sure about, however, is whether nicotinamide has any influence on the nicotinic receptors.

Here is a link to a brief introduction on nicotic acetylcholine receptors at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinic_receptors
Anonymous

We have been giving my mother 500mg 3x per day (Now Foods brand) since first reading about it. I don't remember when that was. Anyway, when we run out, we're going to stop giving it to her. I'll let you know if we see any adverse effect.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Dr Mary Newport

Yes, I was surprised also. I saw the same study and started Steve on niacinamide 1500 mg twice a day and was then informed of the the problem with the "amide" forms by Dr. Veech who is an expert in biochemistry and metabolism. I will email him your post and let you know what his response is to this. He has advised me of a couple of other studies that have received copious funding that also do not make sense from a biochemical point of view.

× Close Menu