Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Slideshow videos for AD folks
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:20 AM

Originally posted by: debbie0413

I just wanted to share that I am both a child of 2 parents with AD (my dad passed away at age 90 in Dec. of 2003, but my mom is still living at age 92) as well as a person intending to start a small business of creating customized slideshow videos from personal family photos. NOTE: I am NOT using this forum to solicit business; I just want to foster discussion RE: this topic.

I have created a slideshow of this kind for my mother, and both the aides in her assisted living facility and I really enjoy showing her the video. I have it broken into sections (i.e., short sections of all the best photos with and without commentary, pictures from my mom's childhood, pictures of her courtship with my dad, etc.) so that one section can be viewed if we are short on time or she is tired, or we can view several sections. She always expresses pleasure at watching the photos along with listening to the music, and it helps foster conversation (since her speech is declining). A speech therapist at her facility would like to see if she could start conversation groups with AD residents by using these slideshows for discussion starters.

I am interested in comments from family caregivers as well as AD professionals RE: the prospect of using personalized slideshow videos as a kind of AV reminiscence therapy for the person(s) they care for. Having a completed program like this is so helpful for both my mom and me that I want to know if other people think it would be helpful to them, also. Thank you in advance for any comments, questions, or concerns.

- Debbie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: austinjohna

quote:
Slideshow videos for AD folks

It’s a jaw-dropping slideshow featuring your vacation pictures.

“Slideshow” hardly does TripWow justice; it’s more like a movie! Richmond Folk Festival 2009 Slideshow Anybody Can Do It, Plain Folks Guide Creating Your Own Multi-Photo Virtual Tour Slideshow.

Bravo for you, Lianne! It is SO rewarding to create a project like this for a loved one and see other people benefit, as well. I am still working on the best way to market this idea to assisted living facilities. I need to keep remembering how much this can help residents, families, and caregivers to help me get over the hump of giving a "sales pitch" to facility directors. I have actually reworked my plan to offer a lower cost, basic slideshow of about 10 minutes, which can also include an assurance message to the resident from the family member. I am hoping that the assisted living facilities will at least give it a try in an effort to help the residents who suffer most from agitation. If they find it helps them, they may be more willing to let me spread the word to their other families.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lianne M.

A video slideshow is a great idea. I scanned tons of photos from my parent's photo albums to create a slideshow for their 50th anniversary. By this time Mom was already in the nursing home, but they have a dining room large enough for a party, so we had over 50 people come. I played the slideshow, which lasted about 20-25 minutes. It included photos from their childhood, their teen years when they courted, the wedding, birth of all four of us children, and their life since. It was set to all their favorite music, with "Too Young" by Nat King Cole as the centerpiece.

There was not a dry eye in the house, and when it was done, I turned to see an "audience" of other residents and staff on the outside of the room. I made copies for everyone who came, and several copies for the home. They play it for all the residents, who love the music and the photos of the babies.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jane E

Great ideas out there! I copied lots of photos when my MIL entered the NH this spring and wish I had read this instead of trying to invent the wheel myself! To avoid a heavy album, I put photos on heavy scrapbook paper and piled them into a basket - not a great set up as pages are likely to drop to the floor. Also, she doesn't recognize people in recent photos as well as those in the very old ones. For that matter, she recognizes her many siblings but not their spouses, not even her own. I can see how viewing photos on a TV screen or computer monitor would be nice, tho not with those creepy twirling and fading in and out effects I've seen at funeral homes. At only 55, I'm already too much of an old fogey for anything more than a straight slide show. (Or maybe it's the ADD brain that can't hack it) Adding music and other images from the collective past would be fun, tho. I love old magazine ads and wish I had the means to reproduce, enlarge, display, etc. My MIL and I enjoy just leafing thru current magazines together, idly making the odd "Get a load of this!" comment. Old photos can be the best fun, but sometimes she'll get sad because all the people in them are gone.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Krista W.

Debbie,
This sounds like a wonderful idea! I have been thinking about copying photos and putting together an album for my mom to take with her when she is moved to Assisted Living. But a CD or tape that could be popped into the television in her room would be even better. What a wonderful way to distract her when necessary, have a calm afternoon visit together watching it...and the music would definately be fun for my Mom. When we have the radio on in the car I can tell if I need to change the station or CD by the way she reacts to certain songs. I love Sara Brightman who sings opera but her music only aggitates my Mom. Listening to softer, easy listening music makes her smile and snap her fingers in time to the rhythm and beat. I see amazing possibilities with your idea! Good luck and best wishes.
Anonymous

Hi everyone:
I think it has been since last Feb. that I posted on this forum. I am finally back into developing my memory video business to benefit people with memory impairment or other life-limiting conditions. I am NOT trying to promote my business here, but I am excited about launching my new website this week: www.touchstonememories.com. I hope this site gives people creative ideas for how to involve their memory-challenged loved ones in reminiscence activities of all kinds.

- Debbie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Wishful

I gave my mother a digital photo frame for Christmas. I'm not sure how she likes it yet. The screen is kind of small (7" diagonal) but I wanted to start out small (and less expensive) to see how she responded.

So far, I have only put on recent photos of the family, since she did not recognize any of the extended family at Thanksgiving; I thought this might help re-familiarize her with them. I would love to scan some older photos to put on if it seems like she enjoys looking at this.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jane E

Here I am replying to my own reply! Several months have passed and now I wish I had mounted photos one per small page in a book. Where I put photos on both sides of the sheet of cardstock, she'll repeatedly flip it over - and over - and over. BUT, I notice she'll get better with her IDs with repetition, so maybe that's a good thing.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: eileenv

Hi Debbie,

What a great idea! Give them something familar to look at.
Here are some suggestions I thought of - maybe add some favorite songs/music from their era - hopefully she can still hear.
You could show a still of Jack Benny, let's say, and then play a audio clip from his radio program.
How about old cartoon strips, Little Orphan Annie, The Phantom.
Maybe show pictures of old cars, clothing, toys.

Personally I got a great response from my Dad when I scanned old photos and reprinted them larger and placed then in a book format. We would talk about his Mom, his dog Ruby, old movie stars, etc. and it really makes him happy to talk about things he CAN remember. He enjoys holding things in his hands and pointing. Sometimes with slides, tv or home movies, it's like he can't understand what it is or make the connection that this HIS family. It's a different response with photographs and stills.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Peace
Eileen
Anonymous

Krista:
The speech therapist who is so helpful at my mom's assisted living place first suggested that I make up a photo album for my mom. I ended up choosing an album that was easy for my mom to turn that shows just one photo at a time. I ended up making 2 identical albums, but for the 2nd one I included sticky notes with a short description of the picture for the benefit of the aides. I think they may still use the album sometimes when my mom is out of her room.

I don't know if you already have an assisted living place picked out or if you just anticipate it some time in the future. I've noticed that the good ones are so careful in how they recruit workers. At the place where my mom is, they recruited one of their best aides to help them with hiring and training new people. Also, the good ones are really eager to hear details from you and other family about your mom's likes and dislikes, quirks, sense of humor, etc. The aides at my mom's place keep telling me that she is one of their favorites, because they admire her spunk and her sense of humor. We are really blessed to have her where she is.

Thanks for the compliments and well-wishes. I am really eager to get this business going and see how it improves the lives of those who get the videos made.

Best wishes,
- Debbie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: skericheri

Sandy J---Putting pictures of your "mom's helpers" and doctors into a scrapbook for your mother is something that I would have never thought of.

In my surfing or TV watching I believe that noticed an ad for a contraption that is capable of transferring slide images into a computer format. From there they might be able to be transferred into a digital picture frame. While pricey...Some digital picture frams actually are capable of holding several images as well as providing commentary.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: A H Sinclair

I made our home computer screen saver a slide show, and my husband love it. I will generate memories as well as initiate good questions. You have a great idea.
Anonymous

I know I can't promote my own business, but I want to pass on an inexpensive type of interactive reminiscing product I recently found. You can look at the products at www.memorylanemedia.com These folks have a memory book, video, and CD that can be used independently or in sync with each other. You can use the generic form of the "Family" memory book, personalize it with familiar photos, or cut photos out of magazines for various interactive activities. I've sent for my own kit to see how I might be able to work some of these items in with our own video reminiscence therapy business.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Krista W.

My Mom is still at home but I am in the process right now of having her situation assessed by professionals. I don't think my step-father is able to care for her any longer but she is not in any immediate danger. The doctor feels she would be better taken care of in Assisted Living so we are looking into several for when the time comes. Thank you for the suggestions of what to look for, not only in the physical building itself, but the people who will care for my mom eventually.

I am starting now to copy favorite photos of her grand children, children, siblings, and different stages of her own life. At one time my Mom water skied at Cypress Gardens in Florida, was a beauty queen, and doubled for Esther Williams in Easy to Love. I have found some terrific photos of these times of her life and I am enjoying them as much as I hope she will. To put all of this together with music would be awesome! Please keep us posted as to your progress. I can think of no better way to spend an afternoon than walking down memory lane with her.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Sandy J.

This sounds like a really good idea. I am working on making a scrapbook for my mom. I have pulled a lot of pictures together and then have to make copies. I like the idea of the slideshow though to. She doesn't know how to use a CD or Video, but if someone was there they could set it up. I have also created a small scrapbook for my mom's "helpers" it is intended to help her remember who her caregivers and doctor's are. I took their pictures and wrote their names, she seemed to like it, and knew that it would help her. I have added additional pages so if she gets different caregivers or moves... they can just add new pictures.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: KA

There are also talking photo albums and talking picture frames that allow you to record personal messages on each page.

They can be used to identify people in the picture, or also to tell a story. Depending upon level of cognition - these kinds of books can be used to prepare someone for an outing or other event, or used to provide verbal and visual cues to go through a sequence of a task.

If you google for 'talking photo albums special education' you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

But to reiterate - it does depend upon the person's cognition and ability to turn pages, press button and attend to the spoken output.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Felicia

Thanks Debbie, I did a very short slide show for Mom on power point, but it was just pictures of common things (house, dog, etc) with the words so she could read...somehow, she can still read! I appreciate you sharing your ideas, it inspires me to make something like this for Mom. I just watched your demo and loved it...I love the way you did a voice speaking directly to your Mom.

Felicia
Anonymous

Well, I was able to enjoy watching the slideshow video I created for my mom for a full 5 months. I can't tell you how many times she watched a short section or two, showing great enjoyment and improved speech while she was watching it. It gave me joy to see her continue to tap into her true self as she watched the pictures, listened to the music, and discussed her memories to the best of her ability. These were times that we could both celebrate her life despite what was happening to her.
My mom finally passed away on July 24, 2008, but I feel that I can continue my mom and dad's legacy by developing this video reminiscence business with my husband. I really want to share with other people and families affected by AD the kind of experience I had with my mom.

× Close Menu