Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Is Alzheimers genetic?
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:23 AM

Originally posted by: CIW

My mother has Alzheimers and I was wondering if it is genetic or hereditary. I was also wanting to know where I could find information on the different stages of the disease. Thanks.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: geegee

Welcome CIW! We are glad that you have found our online family for support and shared information. I am just so sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis. What age is she and does she live close to you?

I believe that you will receive many more responses to your question if you post in the other forum for Caregivers. You are welcome any place, but this area attracts individuals like myself that have Alzheimer's. There aren't as many posters as there are in the caregiver forum.

This is the link:

http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/e...ms/a/frm/f/214102241

I think you will receive some good support in the future for any concerns you may have. Wishing you the best in the rocky days ahead.

Please tell us more of you and your Mother if you wish. I will follow you to the other forum. Take care.
Smiler
Anonymous
Originally posted by: younghope1

Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a type of Alzheimer's that is genetic and it is called, Familial ALzheimer's. For the stages go to the home page of this site and the stages are listed.

Tracy
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi CIW,
Welcome to these boards. We're so glad you found us. And it's very normal to worry about genes. I certainly did.

If the familial type is part of your genes, you'd know. It's all over and people get it very young.

The experts used to say that age is the most positive factor in your odds. Your chances of getting it because a relative had it were two to three %.

Recent research is showing, unfortunately, that if you are a woman, and your mom had it, your chances are somewhat higher. However, age is still the major factor.

And a good life style, we call it Best Practices, can delay the onset of the disease, if you are destined to get it.

Do tell us more about yourself.

× Close Menu