Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
telling our story
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:28 AM
Originally posted by: Nancy Joan

Early stage VaD is another aspect of AD. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with this diagnosis and how they manage. Four years ago, I knew something was wrong neurologically. However, the doctors felt that I was just in a depressed. state. Their advice was to take medication. It turned out they were wrong. This year I was diagnosed with Degenerative Vascular Dementia, by the same doctors who denied it four years ago. This was after I lost my state license to practice therapy and my drivers license, The first words of advice from my doctor, that day, was, "To get my affairs in order, obtain a power of attorney, a DNR if desired, buriel arrangementsmade, etc; etc;" etc;. I said to him finally,"when do I need to be seen again. He said, "Never"! After receiving his advice, I felt lucky to survive walking out of his office alive.!

Now I am searching for others like myself, trying to cope with the many challenges of functioning in a world that doesn't understand the implications of Dementia. It is a lonely existance when even the family and friends do no't understand and support what Dementia is.

Thanks for letting me share my experiences with the chat room friends.

Nancy Joan
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Chuck Jackson

We need to talk as much as possible, to everone we know, about what it is like to have Early stage and Early Onset AD.
We have the abililty to tell the rest of the world what it is like liveing within a changing brain. Tell everone you can about your symptopms, describe them in your writings, dont take it for granted that every one knows what you feel. Educate the family, friends and the Doctors.
chuck J
Anonymous
Originally posted by: younghope1

Hi Nancy Joan, I am glad that you found us, you will meet many individuals as yourself on the Dementia Road. It is a very sad fact that so many families and friends are torn by denial. So much is suffered and lost on both ends.

I encourage you to gain as much education as you can about dementia and maybe in time your family will come around. But for now, you have to take care of you and do what is best for you. Feel free to join us in our nightly chats.

Now I am searching for others like myself, trying to cope with the many challenges of functioning in a world that doesn't understand the implications of Dementia. It is a lonely existance when even the family and friends do no't understand and support what Dementia is.

Nancy Joan[/QUOTE]
Anonymous
Originally posted by: skericheri

Nancy Joan--Most of this is a repost of the information that I posted to you on the other message board. I'm sorry that I missed your earlier posting...I'm a caregiver and usually stick to that message board. By the way...There is no rule that you cannot post to that board.

Nancy Joan--I don't have vascular dementia but a couple of months back in our chat room I encountered a gentleman named Alan P who did. If I remember correctly his group (which is a mixed group) may be part of DANSI has moved on to a separate chat room. The link to it may be

http://www.alzinfo.org/community/alzheimers-chatrooms.asp

He is up beat,positive and has some interesting theories. I believe that you would enjoy chatting with him. While I was typing this I decided to check further....Alan P can be found at that link. Not sure exactly when...but...Their 3 main chat times appear to be 3 PM, 9 PM, and 11PM EST. He will probably be in the non-Alz. chat room (there are 3 rooms at that site. The 11PM slot is your best bet...I think that he lives in Canada. If you are one of those people that likes to 'test the waters' before joining a site, I was just able to sign into their chat by clicking guest, typing in a user name, and clicking log on.
Anonymous

Hello to all;

I am new to this member board and have learned alot from others adapting to their families situations. Some symptoms I am experiencing are extreme forgetfulness of what was said to others, loss of objects, balance off and at times falling toward walls, etc;, visual neglect to the right or left, trouble with putting objects together and difficulty being around people that show anger towards me. Is there anyone who can identify with these situations.

Thanks,
Nancy Joan
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ZOEY M

HI 5'S CHUCK......I do, but my brother thinks Im making it all up.....its so frustrating, he, as far as Im concerned is a big loser......he has already said "she isn't coming here to stay", well THX dear Brother....wow what a Heart, glad mine is not made of coal.....
THX FOR YOUR POST.....ZOEY
Anonymous

testing January 14, 20007 post

× Close Menu