Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
helpful games to help with memory loss
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:08 PM
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Ladydye.
Welcome to our world. And thank you for your excellent suggestion.

Do tell us more about yourself and your situation.
Anonymous

Hi Mind Start. Welcome to our group and thank you for your excellent ideas.

Do tell us more about yourself and what brings you to our Boards.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ljl

Hello everyone,
I found multi-colored index cards and will mix them up and ask my mom who is in stage 7 dementia to sort out the colors. I also went to a fabric store and got different color remnants of flannel, cotton for her to fold and sort into colors. Shopped in the pre-school section of the store and found picture cards for her to match the animals. Also got the very large size beads and asked her to help me string bracelets. Large size Lego blocks to work with eye and hand coordination is also a favorite of hers. I will keep trying a variety of things to keep her engaged. This is my best friend we're talking about.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mind-Start

Here are some other ideas I have used as an occupational therapist. Sort socks by color and fold them up; sort coins; use playing cards and sort by suit or red black; sort large buttons; sort and handle jewelry; for men, polish shoes. These are all good for mid-stage dementia.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mind-Start

I am an occupational therapist and new business owner of activity products designed specifically for persons with memory loss. These include jigsaw puzzles, word searches, and more. It is a passion of mine to help persons with memory loss and their caregivers for maximal quality of life and happy moments.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: jll

good morning. my name is janet and i am new to this chat group. i have been taking care of my 87 year old mother for 3 yrs. after being diagnosed with AD. i went to a dollar store and bought a domino's game (it was in a metal tin and in the section for games for kids) not only were the numbers on the tiles large but they have different bright colors so they are easy to see. amazing enough she beats me and the aide we have that comes in to help 99 percent of the time. another thing i did was i bought a jigsaw puzzle that was for young children. one with 50 and 100 pieces and the pieces are large enough for her to be able to handle and we let her put the puzzle together. someone at the alzheimers hotline suggested to me and that is to buy 2 decks of cards with different colors on the front. i take a small handfull of the cards and i place them on a table (or a lap tray) and mix them up and ask her to help me seperate the cards by colors. this all helps her utilize her brain and most imporantly it helps her feel that she can still do something for herelf. i keep her informed on everything even if she does not understand. i ask her advise on everything i do to let her feel that her opinion is important. i just wanted to pass this on to any caregivers looking for something to help the AD person with their memory loss. tc
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Dave1980

I have not been doing this regularly with my Dad but this list is supposed to be done daily:

• making garlands from flowers - string twists fingers well and helps fine motor coordination
  • filling colours into colouring books
  • joining dots, number games, alphabet games
  • drawing
  • reading and writing a few pages every day
  • playing throw-and-catch with a soft tennis ball or a kids ball
  • football (or soccer) with a soft kids soccer ball (Dad loves this and is good at 80 Smiler )

Memory is a problem, though and I am unable to motivate him to do memory activities yet.
But I'm going to try some of the things discussed here, Let's see how it goes.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Darlene06

Jill
Thank you for the ideas. I have a couple of Books that are great. You might want to try.
The memory workbook By Douglas J. Mason, Psy. D. & Michael L. Kohn, Psy. D.

Sunshine and Joy's Series
Big Book of Alzheimer's Activities 2 vols

Hope this helps. Darlene
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ladydye

My mom is in mid stage ulzheimer and she gets a deck of cards and tries to play solitare. She does good with keeping the same colors in order and can still do most of the numbers
Anonymous

Jill,
Welcome to our group and a double thank you for the ideas you've given. I'd never heard of usig two decks of cards. Great idea. Any kind of sorting works. For former handymen, sometimes a bunch of screws or nails.
How about a used appliance minus the cord. let him try to 'fix ' it.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jll

thank you darlene, i appreciate it and i will look these books up.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: serenityjean

I am new to this , but I use a scrabble game to get her to sort letters. She played a lot of Scrabble in her life time-she is 96. Lo and behold she even can form a word now and then. I will try some of your sucesses.
thanks
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Sally D

Wonderful ideas! Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by ljl:
Hello everyone,
I found multi-colored index cards and will mix them up and ask my mom who is in stage 7 dementia to sort out the colors. I also went to a fabric store and got different color remnants of flannel, cotton for her to fold and sort into colors. Shopped in the pre-school section of the store and found picture cards for her to match the animals. Also got the very large size beads and asked her to help me string bracelets. Large size Lego blocks to work with eye and hand coordination is also a favorite of hers. I will keep trying a variety of things to keep her engaged. This is my best friend we're talking about.

× Close Menu