Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Nursing Home Choices
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:13 AM

Originally posted by: KATHEH

We have been dealing with my husband's Alzheimer's for 8+ years. For 14 months he has been on an Alzheimer's/Dementia unit at our small town nursing home 2 miles from home. I, too, am a licensed psychotherapist/social worker. I spend 4 to 6 hours every day with my husband as well as the other 30 residents on the unit.

Issue: when he was admitted there was 1 brain injury patient on the unit who exhibited involuntary vocal noises. Now, there are fewer Alzheimer's patients and 6 loud, profane, verbally abusive patients (brain injury, shizophrenia etc.) I find it hard to be there. My husband cries frequently and says things like "I just can't take this." "I can't do this." I don't know if the new prevalence of psychoses and noises affect him or not.

Question: we can (1)leave him here and accept things as they are or (2)remain here and become proactive to more appropriately offer psychiatric services at all levels or (3)ask nursing home to stop being the dumping ground for all the patients who would previously have been in the now-closed state hospitals or (4) try to place my husband at a nursing home 45 minutes away with an all-Alzheimer's unit. The latter option is more expensive (we are - and will be private pay) but my biggest concern is that the drive would inhibit my frequent, lengthy, supportive visits.

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you so much!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:13 AM
Originally posted by: Charlie B.

Dear Katheh,

Thank you for using the Alzheimer's Association Online Community.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation. The environment you described, with "6 loud, profane, verbally abusive patients", would be extremely hard for anyone to live in, let alone a person with dementia.

Given the four options you listed I would suggest that you pursue the fourth, i.e. "(4) try to place my husband at a nursing home 45 minutes away with an all-Alzheimer's unit". Even with the additional cost and distance, it would most likely provide a much more tolerable environment. You mentioned your husband crying frequently and saying things like "I just can't take this." "I can't do this." That reaction is understandable, given the situation you described. Even if your visits would become less frequent, your husband's quality of life would be enhanced if he didn't have loud, profane, verbally abusive patients living in close proximity. Persons with dementia do much better in environments with less negativity and noise.

If you would like to discuss this matter with one of our care consultants, you can reach us on our 24-hour helpline at: 800-272-3900.

Thanks again for using the Alzheimer's Association Online Community.

Best wishes,

Charlie

× Close Menu