Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
my mom
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:19 AM

Originally posted by: snoopy's mom

My mom is 82 yr old and was just found to have EARLY STAGES OF Alzheimer's,She is right now in the hospital because she was falling, And they ran tests on her and found that she is in the Early stages of Alzheimers. When she goes home It will be my dad and my brother and I takeing care of her They started her on a new medicine for the Alzheimers and she is a lot better today than when we took her in last Tuesday Oct 10th,So what can we expect down the road? Thanks Suzanne
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Twice Blessed

Agreed!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ZOEY M

another good book, (I heard) is ELDER RAGE...it puts a small bit of humor into this impairment called AD.....I'll ck it out when I get some time.......zoey
Anonymous
Originally posted by: JRKH

Snoopy's mom,
I'm sorry that no one has responded to your query here.
Have you gotten any new info on your Mom?
How is she doing? And How are you doing?

It is somewhat difficult to predict how your mom will progress. Every patient is different as the disease effects different people differently and at different rates of speed.

In my experience (with my dad and now with my wife) it began with forgetting, but Dad had less memory problems and more issues with motor skills and speech. My wife has good speech skills (so far) but short term memory is gone.

Eventually though you can expect them to gradually lose the ability to do normal everyday tasks. Check this link for a list of the stages
http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/Stages.asp

Try to stimulate here as much as possible. Don't go overboard trying to help. I tell my wife, when she gets aggrevated with me, that it is my job to keep the neurons firing any way I can.

Of course there are times when they need help. And that will increase as the disease progresses. Be there as much as you can.

As time goes on she will likely become more possesive of your dad. She will want to know where he is all the time. This is normal. Whoever it is that she relies the most on becomes increasingly important to her as her link to reality and safety.

Keep her in a routine as much as possible. Not inflexible, but normal and comfortable. The longer she can be in familiar surroundings the better.

Lastly make sure to take care of your dad while he is taking care of her. You and he are embarking on a long and difficult journey. I stronly recommend you look at the caregivers forum here. It has the most wonderful folks visiting and posting.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Baby Cathy

We found out about our mom about one year ago. They tried to get her to take the medicine but she said that it gave her a stomache ache. They said that she too was in the early stages. From what I have read here and other places my mom is in stage II.

Some days are good and other are terrible. She can remember most anything and then "poof" ten minutes later she has a hard time remembering who is doing what.

My mom will be 89 on the 7th of November. I am the youngest of her children and it is not easy seeing my mom, physically fit, but mentally unstable.

All we can do is take each day as it comes. Make sure we support each family member and do what ever we can.

Take care and God bless.

× Close Menu