Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
So unpredictable, just need to vent.
Internal Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:17 PM

Originally posted by: shearbear

The other night we went out to eat. DH and I split a sandwich with fries. He poured ketchup from bottle and started to lick the cap. I was stunned, I couldn't believe he did that. I never seen him ever do that. The couple sitting at the next table moved. I told him never to do that again and he said, "don't we take the bottle home with us?". This was a restaurant that is upper scale. I wiped the cap as much as I could and I did not want to embarrass my husband.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: IBUMPY

Shearbear,
Yes thing like that can be embarrassing. The only thing is they aren't the one it bothers. I think that is the problem we as caregivers need to remember. When Jan did thing like that I would just go to the gookers and say she has ALZ. That is the problem in this country if your different they look down on them. I have tried to put Jan in as many different places as possible. I have had people come up to me and say they so enjoy seeing Jan out and having a good time. We shop go to church eat at McD and othere places. I have to feed her as she eats with her hands. She also is in early stage 7.
One thing I have learn is if I see other who are different I always talk with them to make them feel welcome.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Snorky

Some of the things DH does embarrass me too. Now he is swearing a lot and not in a soft tone. I made up some small cards which I hand out to people and their attitude really changes! It says, "Please understand my loved one has Alzheimer's"
Anonymous
Originally posted by: DLMifm

quote:
Originally posted by shearbear:
The other night we went out to eat. DH and I split a sandwich with fries. He poured ketchup from bottle and started to lick the cap. I was stunned, I couldn't believe he did that. I never seen him ever do that. The couple sitting at the next table moved. I told him never to do that again and he said, "don't we take the bottle home with us?". This was a restaurant that is upper scale. I wiped the cap as much as I could and I did not want to embarrass my husband.

It is tough accepting the influence of AD on behavior as the disease progresses. It is equally tough to recognize slips that occur.

Telling him not to .... no longer works. His mind is under the control of AD. Be prepared to be embarrassed from time to time. The time will come when he can't go to restaurants. Be understanding and go as often now as you can.

VENT VENT here as often as needed. It is a great place to talk things out.

Dammed disease is so unpredictable for everyone.

DLM
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Cathy J. M.

quote:
Originally posted by arm:
shearbear

It is funny that I found this post. I was just coming to vent. Different from yours. Mine is that my husband broke his cell phone on purpose when I was not home. He always wants what he had at work, blackberry. Hasn't worked in 3 years. He trashed the one he had. That was a year ago. That is all I have heard for a year, blackberry. So when I am at preschool where I work half a day, he went to Radio Shack and upgraded his broke phone to one that is very complicated. He now has it in a loop pattern just like he did the blackberry when he trashed it. Of course it is the guys at Radio Shacks fault. If someone would just take his dirving priveledges away I would not have this problem. He is only suppose to drive with someone with him, but he takes off if I go anywhere. He is getting worse. He has been looking at motorcycles and has been talking about getting one since they limited his driving. Now I am afraid that he will go get one while I am gone. I don't know if he could fill out paperwork. But I am sure a salesman would help him. His family is no help. They say he is fine with them. That is a lie, you spend 10 minutes with him and you can see that he is not. We have been dealing with this for 7 years now. So you can kind of see what stage or place he may be in at 7 years. Medicine has slowed it some.

I notice that there is a lot of post on people getting worse right now. I wonder if it is the season change, time change. Anyway, I am very tired.

We go out to eat very rarely. It is to hard. Not because he embarrasses me, but because I am to tired.

Oh and broke the riding lawn mower again, same thing he broke on it last year.

It sounds as if the time has come not to leave your husband alone -- and time to lock up the car keys too. (I found that a little key case with a combination lock works well; it's a larger model that holds several keys and even the remote control.)
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jfkoc

I hope you did not put the cap back on and made certain it ws out of circulation. We were eating out and next to us was a family. While the parents were busy talking one of the children "cleaned off" the top of the bottle of catsup before replacing the top. I just kept my eye on the bottle and when they left told the waiter.

She had no idea she was doing anything wrong and I was actually amused by the whole event.
I am glad you did not embarass your husband.

You never know where the ideas come from. Your husband's action would never cause me to move.
I am certain he does not lick the cap at home either.

I think you are still safe to eat out.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: arm

shearbear

It is funny that I found this post. I was just coming to vent. Different from yours. Mine is that my husband broke his cell phone on purpose when I was not home. He always wants what he had at work, blackberry. Hasn't worked in 3 years. He trashed the one he had. That was a year ago. That is all I have heard for a year, blackberry. So when I am at preschool where I work half a day, he went to Radio Shack and upgraded his broke phone to one that is very complicated. He now has it in a loop pattern just like he did the blackberry when he trashed it. Of course it is the guys at Radio Shacks fault. If someone would just take his dirving priveledges away I would not have this problem. He is only suppose to drive with someone with him, but he takes off if I go anywhere. He is getting worse. He has been looking at motorcycles and has been talking about getting one since they limited his driving. Now I am afraid that he will go get one while I am gone. I don't know if he could fill out paperwork. But I am sure a salesman would help him. His family is no help. They say he is fine with them. That is a lie, you spend 10 minutes with him and you can see that he is not. We have been dealing with this for 7 years now. So you can kind of see what stage or place he may be in at 7 years. Medicine has slowed it some.

I notice that there is a lot of post on people getting worse right now. I wonder if it is the season change, time change. Anyway, I am very tired.

We go out to eat very rarely. It is to hard. Not because he embarrasses me, but because I am to tired.

Oh and broke the riding lawn mower again, same thing he broke on it last year.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: lurk

Arm, one thing about it is they eventually pass from the stage they are in (although it seems as though they won't.) I am so familiar with the things you are saying, but if he "did it" last year, and he's "doing it" this year, then he probably won't be doing it for much longer. Meantime, I hope you don't lose much money on things you don't need and/or will be trashed.

I agree that you need to be watching him more closely,but the problem is the screaming fit if you try to object. Oh my, good luck!

Tom, (your last paragraph) what a sweetie you are.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: sf

Shearbear, I've been in this situation myself, even though I watch like a hawk, sometimes things just happen. We've downgraded from nice restuarants to really casual dining, mostly diners.

Snorky I read your comment and smiled. My DH recently got tired during church and said "how long is he going to talk?" in a very loud voice directed at our pastor, of course during a quiet part of the service. The congregation cracked up, I guess a few more people shared the same thought.

× Close Menu