Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
HOW DO THEY DO IT?
Internal Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:17 PM

Originally posted by: rollerblady

DH needs help with dressing, toileting, walking, talking .... Just about everything. I've done all the driving, banking, decision making etc for a couple of years now. BUT when his (older) sister called yesterday and asked how he felt, he boomed "Wonderful!" in a firm voice I hadn't heard in ages. She chattered on about her life and he interjected appropriate "uh-huhs", and when she asked him what he was up to, he said "lots of stuff" .... Leading her to believe, of course, that he's fine. So I wonder, HOW is it possible for ou ADLOs to rev up in some situations when their ordinary MO is silent immobility???
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Cathy J. M.

I don't know, but I think it's great! I love it when my partner rises to an occasion and tells people she's doing really well. I encourage it and tell her all the time how well she's doing -- because it has a cumulative placebo effect. Any kind of positive feeling and thinking is helpful, and we all think better when we feel safe and secure.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: jfkoc

I forget about the positive attitude and its' effect. Thanks for the reminder.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: mary d

My DH acts this way at the doctor's office. He says he is fine, exercises every day, etc. He can barely walk, cannot remember anything for one minute, forgets our son's name, has a hard time communicating.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jim Broede

I think it's a matter of exuding good vibes. Sometimes the vibes are contagious. Some people have a knack for it. Others don't. And sometimes it works. And other times it doesn't. One has to learn to be patient and to exude the good vibes all of the time. Even when you don't feel like it. Just fake it. Become an actor. Play the role. It might even make you feel better. --Jim
Anonymous
Originally posted by: meeko11

Cathy-you make my day. You are wonderful.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Starling

How do they do it? For some reason they can seem almost normal well into the disease for a short period of time. If it lasts too long they will collapse right afterward.

I know that in the early stages of the disease it drives caregivers nuts, because we know better. But it is just one of those things.

Yesterday one of the medical assistants at our doctor's offices was shocked when I told her that my husband has not really known who I was for years. That he had forgotten my name years ago. The last time she saw him was about a year ago and she was totally fooled by his behavior.

× Close Menu