Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Post traumatic stress disorder?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:37 PM
Originally posted by: maryemac

Dear Susan,

You are not alone with feeling like you have PTSD. I too experienced poor health and PTSD like symptoms as a result of dementia caregiving.

Be gentle with yourself. Be sure to take the time you need to recover from your experience.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Susan Z

My dad passed away late last year. In this following year, my own health has taken an abrupt decline--lack of energy, prone to illnesses, hadn't gone to the gym for a year for lack of energy and illness. My health has never been this bad, even when in the midst of immense stress during the caregiving.

I wonder if this is a sort of post traumatic stress disorder--all the stress overload of the past few years of caregiving is finally taking its toll on the caregiver (when she now finally "has time to get sick").

Have any of your experience this?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Angel10

It's called grief. I know for me, the 2nd year of Mom being gone was harder than the first year. We all deal with grief in our own way and your body is finally telling you to slow down, take care of yourself, grieve your loss. I am just now in the 3rd month of Dad's passing this year, and I am just now starting to shed tears now and then, my energy level is up and down and my moods are up and down. So.... just go with it. Find someone to share your thoughts and experiences with, keep reading and writing ont he forum. Lots of support here!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Susan Z

Thank you all for the input. I will listen to my body and take the pace that it's telling me to take. I have been taking walks in the park to slowly build myself up again. I just can't right now because I have the flu (See what I mean about being prone to illnesses?).
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Susan,
Welcome to our site. We're so glad you found us.

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. Grieving is a process that Kubler-Ross says has several steps. People go through it at differing rates. As the year passes, different dates, bring different things into our mind.

What happens if you force yourself back into an exercise regime? Even if you start with a daily walk around the block and proceed from there?

I would certainly recommend calling the 24/7 hot line: 1-800 272.3900. If a few calls there, don't help I would seek professional counseling.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: maryemac

Susan: a couple of resources you may want to read for further insight into your question:
In a 2007 CNN Health article, Andree LeRoy, M.D. describes “caregiver syndrome,” a combination of physiological and psychological negative health changes that frequently occur in cases of extended caregiving.
LeRoy, A. 2007. Exhaustion, anger of caregiving get a name. CNNhealth.com.
Bodnar, J.C., & Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. (1994). Caregiver Depression After Bereavement: Chronic Stress Isn’t Over When It’s Over. Psychology and Aging, vol.9(3), 372-380.

I personally found walking outdoors every day helpful in my first year of grief.

× Close Menu