Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Nursing home neglect on dementia unit
Internal Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:39 PM

Originally posted by: cheercoach9701

Hello everyone. A month ago I lost my grandfather. He had dementia and we had him placed in what we thought was a fabulous facility. It turned out very differently. He ended up getting an infection that was not treated after we repeatedly asked to have him checked as we knew his signs. The nurses response was "We cant check everyone" Anyway, he ended up becoming septic and dying. My question is I feel this nursing home should not get away with this. Does anyone know what steps should be taken? Or if anyone has gone through a similar situation of any kind of nursing home abuse with their loved ones, what did you do? Thanks everyone.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: MJK50

For anyone that might be going through problems with a current patient in a long term care facility, you can contact your local long term care ombudsman to act as a mediator in improving care for your LO. We are going through this with my father, so I can't vouch for the outcome, but we wanted to try this route before contacting an attorney.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lynbela

Contact an atty. They will notify the proper state officials to start.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: nikkij

I am very sorry for your loss. You can report this yourself to your state Department of Public Health. They will investigate the facility and review his medical record. They will interview the staff concerned
Anonymous
Originally posted by: sprite

I would contact an attorney for a consult for free.
My experience below, but no court case:

My Mother was just last year in December admitted to an ER for abdominal pain and She had UTI. She also had sepsis and bacteria in blood.

After she moved from ER to the the SNF she contracted CDIFF from meds to treat the UTI. Another month goes by...

She is now ready for DC but this place is sooo disorganized. She WILL NEVER AGAIN BE BACK THERE.

× Close Menu