Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Help, I am new at this
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:41 PM
Originally posted by: D K

Welcome to the site. I don't post much but do read. My husband was diagnosed with FTD (frontotemporal dementia) when he was 58. He doesn't speak much and is cognitively about a 3 year old. It is difficult.

With regard to the abbreviations, click on the find button and search abbreviations. There is a pretty good thread on them in the caregivers forum.

You can add your location to your posts, but I don't remember how I did it.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Aminda

I am new at this. I don't understand the abbrivations. And also I was wondering, are we allowed to say where we live. I would love to get a group together just to talk in person with. Or to help each other when we are having problems.
Aminda
Anonymous
Originally posted by: LCB

Aminda, there probably is a group you could attend. Call your local alzheimer's organization. They have been very helpful to me. As for a meeting close to me, I may have to start one. You could too. We can't do this alone. As you will see the more your read here. Welcome to the message board and please ask questions. Tell us a bit more about yourself also. We care.
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by D K:
Welcome to the site. I don't post much but do read. My husband was diagnosed with FTD (frontotemporal dementia) when he was 58. He doesn't speak much and is cognitively about a 3 year old. It is difficult.

With regard to the abbreviations, click on the find button and search abbreviations. There is a pretty good thread on them in the caregivers forum.

Thank you for the info. I never new there were different kinds of dementia, and stages. Now I wonder what stage my husband is in. He was diagnosed with alz. about 6 years ago. He is still able to stay by himself, but i worry a lot so I will be cutting back on my hours at work to be with him...NOT FUN
aminda
Anonymous
Originally posted by: D K

Check this out too for abbreviations:

http://www.alz.org/mb/dictionary.asp
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Rkg

Aminda, Your welcome to post where your from if your comfortable doing so. Many of us have our state, city ect in our profile so it comes up when we post. It's up to you. Just be careful giving out to much information. As we never know who we are speaking to on the world wide web. Welcome, glad you joined us. Do share your situation if your comfortable doing so.

DH = Dear Husband
DS = Dear/Darling Son
DD = Dear/Darling Daughter
MIL = Mother-in-Law
FIL = Father-in-Law
BIL = Brother-in-Law
SIL = Sister-in-Law
BF = Boy Friend
GF = Girl Friend
SO = Significant Other
OH = Other Half
SIB's = Brothers and Sisters or siblings
LO = Loved One
GLO = greetings to loved ones
ADLO = Loved One with Alzheimer's disease

Care Places:
ALF = Assisted Living Facility
NH = Nursing Home
SNF = Skilled Nursing Facility/Nursing Home
ADC = Adult Day Care
CCC/CCRC = Continuing Care Community or Continuing Care Retirement Community (a facility which offers, Independent, assisted living and nursing home residence)

Medical:
PCP = Primary Care Physician
ER = Emergency Room
DNR = Do Not Resuscitate
UTI = Urinary Tract Infection
DVT =Deep Vein Thrombosis
TIA = transient ischemic attack (mini stroke)
PEG tube = percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube (feeding tube inserted direct into the abdomen)
Delusion= experiencing things that are out of touch with reality through thoughts or beliefs while a person is awake and conscious
Hallucination = experiencing things that are out of touch with reality through the senses while a person is awake and conscious
PT = Physical therapy
OT = Occupational therapy

Types of Dementia:
Alz or AD = Alzheimer's disease
EO = Early Onset (diagnosis before the age of 65)
EOAD = Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease (diagnosis of Alzheimer's before the age of 65)
YOAD= Younger Onset Alzheimer’s Disease (another way to say Diagnosis before age 65)
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
FTLD = Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration
LBD or LB = Lewy Body Disease or Dementia
MD = Mixed Dementia
VD = Vascular Disease or Dementia

Stages of Dementia:
ES = Early Stage (in the beginning stages of a dementia)
MS = Middle Stage
LS = Late Stage

Legal:
DPOA = Durable Power of Attorney
POA = Power of Attorney
LW = Living Will
APS = Adult Protective Services
HIPAA Law = Health Insurance Provider Accountability Act
LTCO = Long Term Care Ombudsman (these professionals are dedicated to enhancing the lives of long term care residents by advocating for residents' rights and quality care, educating consumers and providers and resolving residents' complaints Provide information to the public)
NAELA = National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (visit http://naela.org to learn more)

Popular Online Communiqué:
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
BRB = Be right back
TTLY = Talk to you later
ROLF = Rolling on the floor laughing!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: JAB

Hi, Aminda, welcome to the forum.

The medical community uses the three stage system to discuss progression. We caregivers tend to use the seven-stage system:
http://alzheimers.boomja.com/S...zheimer-s-26575.html

If your husband is still able to stay by himself six years after the diagnosis, you must really be doing something right!

I'm in San Diego, I'm afraid that's a tad bit too much of a drive...
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by Rkg:
Aminda, Your welcome to post where your from if your comfortable doing so. Many of us have our state, city ect in our profile so it comes up when we post. It's up to you. Just be careful giving out to much information. As we never know who we are speaking to on the world wide web. Welcome, glad you joined us. Do share your situation if your comfortable doing so.

DH = Dear Husband
DS = Dear/Darling Son
DD = Dear/Darling Daughter
MIL = Mother-in-Law
FIL = Father-in-Law
BIL = Brother-in-Law
SIL = Sister-in-Law
BF = Boy Friend
GF = Girl Friend
SO = Significant Other
OH = Other Half
SIB's = Brothers and Sisters or siblings
LO = Loved One
GLO = greetings to loved ones
ADLO = Loved One with Alzheimer's disease

Care Places:
ALF = Assisted Living Facility
NH = Nursing Home
SNF = Skilled Nursing Facility/Nursing Home
ADC = Adult Day Care
CCC/CCRC = Continuing Care Community or Continuing Care Retirement Community (a facility which offers, Independent, assisted living and nursing home residence)

Medical:
PCP = Primary Care Physician
ER = Emergency Room
DNR = Do Not Resuscitate
UTI = Urinary Tract Infection
DVT =Deep Vein Thrombosis
TIA = transient ischemic attack (mini stroke)
PEG tube = percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube (feeding tube inserted direct into the abdomen)
Delusion= experiencing things that are out of touch with reality through thoughts or beliefs while a person is awake and conscious
Hallucination = experiencing things that are out of touch with reality through the senses while a person is awake and conscious
PT = Physical therapy
OT = Occupational therapy

Types of Dementia:
Alz or AD = Alzheimer's disease
EO = Early Onset (diagnosis before the age of 65)
EOAD = Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease (diagnosis of Alzheimer's before the age of 65)
YOAD= Younger Onset Alzheimer’s Disease (another way to say Diagnosis before age 65)
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
FTLD = Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration
LBD or LB = Lewy Body Disease or Dementia
MD = Mixed Dementia
VD = Vascular Disease or Dementia

Stages of Dementia:
ES = Early Stage (in the beginning stages of a dementia)
MS = Middle Stage
LS = Late Stage

Legal:
DPOA = Durable Power of Attorney
POA = Power of Attorney
LW = Living Will
APS = Adult Protective Services
HIPAA Law = Health Insurance Provider Accountability Act
LTCO = Long Term Care Ombudsman (these professionals are dedicated to enhancing the lives of long term care residents by advocating for residents' rights and quality care, educating consumers and providers and resolving residents' complaints Provide information to the public)
NAELA = National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (visit http://naela.org to learn more)

Popular Online Communiqué:
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
BRB = Be right back
TTLY = Talk to you later
ROLF = Rolling on the floor laughing!

OMG. Now I know everything. Thanks for all this information. I am caring for my husband of 44 years. He is 65 and I am 63. He came down with ALZ. 6 yrs ago. His meds have helped a lot because he is still able to care for himself. I will have to retire soon just to take care of him. He gets very depressed and tells me he wants to die, I feel useless. How can I help him when I am so depressed my self. We have two boys who are busy with their lives, and when I say something its always my fault, I need to be more patient. I could go on forever, I am just feeling sorry for myself. I feel like my life is over, we used to have so many friends, always going to parties, we both love to dance. Well no more no ones wants to be around someone that cannot carry a normal conversation, and repeats himself like there or four times. thanks for listening, aminda
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by D K:

Are you in the Chicago suburbs. If you are I would love to meet you, I live in LaGrange. Not far from you.
You sound about my age. We could meet at McDonalds for coffee.
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by LCB:
Aminda, there probably is a group you could attend. Call your local alzheimer's organization. They have been very helpful to me. As for a meeting close to me, I may have to start one. You could too. We can't do this alone. As you will see the more your read here. Welcome to the message board and please ask questions. Tell us a bit more about yourself also. We care.

Thanks, there are two groups, one meets on Thursday, but its different. People are caregivers for their parents who have other problems, not ALZ. The other one is at the hospital, but only three or four people go, and again only once a month.
I would like to have someone close by. For instance last week, my husband told me to get out of his house. That he wanted a divorce, he can't stand me anymoe, I am too controlling, I will not let him drive and he is sick of me. Well I left the house at 4 pm right after I got home from work. I could see he was having a bad day. We have been married for 44 years, I did not tell him but its my house. So I went to the movies then I considered getting a room somewhere or spending the night at my sister's but I did not want to alarm her. Then I went to Walmart and just walked around. I went home at 11 pm. he was sound asleep. IN the morning he did not recall being mean to me. I live in the Chicago area, if there is anyone out there that would be interested in just meeing for coffee, let me know..............
Anonymous
Originally posted by: JAB

Aminda, have you considered something like Adult Day Care for him instead?
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by JAB:
Hi, Aminda, welcome to the forum.

The medical community uses the three stage system to discuss progression. We caregivers tend to use the seven-stage system:
http://alzheimers.boomja.com/S...zheimer-s-26575.html

If your husband is still able to stay by himself six years after the diagnosis, you must really be doing something right!

I'm in San Diego, I'm afraid that's a tad bit too much of a drive...

I pray a lot !!!!! But, in Aug. I will be retiring to stay home with him. I worry a lot about him being home alone. I don't want to retire because I love my job. I have been here 26 years. But it's too stressful worrying about him. I work 5 minutes from home so I go home at lunch and I cook for him or we go out for a sandwish. He still understands that I have to work, our taxes are too high.
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by JAB:
Aminda, have you considered something like Adult Day Care for him instead?

Everyday, since there is a place like that 5 min. from the house. But he is not ready, I have asked him to just try it out that he might like it. But he refuses, he is kind of quite, does not make friends easy, he perfers to stay by him self with his two dogs.

× Close Menu