Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Love of my life diagnosed with Alzheimer's
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:59 PM
Originally posted by: Iris L.

Hello, Love and Laughter, Welcome to our online support group. I'm sorry to hear about the love of your life. You've landed on one of our smaller boards. I'm going to re-post your introduction to the Spouse/Partner Forum, where you will meet many others who will guide and support you. Look for your member name.
http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/e...ms/a/frm/f/352104903

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Online Community Administrators

Hello Love and Laughter,

Welcome to the online community. I am hopeful you will find support and information here, but please also call our 24/7 care line at 1-800-272-3900 to find out about programs and services in your area, and also for support.

Keep posting, and as Iris suggested, try posting in the high traffic forums... The Spouse/ Partner forum and or Caregiver would be helpful ones for you to try.

Online Administrator
Alzheimer's Association
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Love and Laughter

My love has early Alzheimer's (56). He is currently working, but I am trying to plan our life and need guidance from some of you who know what we are facing. Finances are weak already. He has medical coverage, but I'm looking for information regarding the new legislation which allows Social Security benefits for early diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Medicare and Medicade will soon follow, but I want to do what I can to protect anything he owns so I can have money to care for him at home. I don't know if he needs to sell what he owns or not. I just don't understand the rules. This has turned our world up-side-down. I'm trying to learn everything I can regarding care, but I also want to be in control of the financial nightmare I already see coming. Can anyone help? I want to be logical before I am overcome with being caretaker.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: carekate

You may want to talk with a lawyer who specializes in elder law. He or she can help you. Also, go to the local social security office (a guard at ours once told us that if you go first thing in the morning, you won't have to wait) and talk with them.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: j wright

Love & laughter, apply now for social security disability. We got it for our daughter who is 34. We did not need a lawyer, but there is allot of papework involved. we are 62 and did it for her. There is also a program called the Transition Diversivide program that will give you help if you keep your loved one our of a nursing home with aid service. Get him on medicaid asap for prescriptions,and pull ups if these are needed. We have been doing this for 8 months now..fighting for her rights that is! baby steps but we are moving forward. Do not give up and do not take no for an snswer, I was told NO that Kim was not qualified for a program as she did not have a "physical disability", I told them to take their blinders off and suprise--they did and she is in the program! We have to fight for what we believe in! Good luck..baby steps but you will keep going forward!I care!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: s lorenzo

Social Security is pretty quick; we went in mid July; they called me Sept 28 at my job to let me know that he was approved and that his checks would begin in january; there is a 6 month waiting period. But at least he's going to be getting it. now the "mess" begins with taking over his money, etc. he's not happy about it. He's 60 so early dementia as well. Good luck to you

× Close Menu