Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Dying at home
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:01 PM
Originally posted by: Karla 930

Check with a local Realtor about your state's disclosures. In Texas, you don't need to disclose natural deaths, either. You may be able to go to the state department that licenses real estate agents & download a copy of the Seller's Disclosure. If you would like, I can contact someone & get you a copy. I'm an agent here, with RE/MAX & I know I could get it for you.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Dear Katrinca,

I agree that you do not have to disclose a natural death.

Keep your husband's last wish. Keep him home with you where he can die in peace with his family. If you need help, please call a Hospice near you.

Good Luck. Please, keep us posted.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: TsH

As a Nurse most people wish to be at home rather than in a hospital, nursing home or care center. It is the gift that you can give them if it is a possibility for you. I am not sure who's business it is to disclose death anyhow. I have heard of people having their house (rooms) cleansed spiritually with herbs & prayer. Perhaps you consider this for good karma. I know it sounds crazy, but I do know a center that does this on a regular basis after a death. Because they consider each resident a family member. The owners do this each time someone passes. They do not fill the room for two weeks with another resident until it has been spiritually cleansed etc. ?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ingasmile

I don't think you have to tell potential buyers about a natural occurring death. I think that is only if someone is murdered in the home do you have to disclose that info.

I would allow my LO to die at home if at all possible. My Mother died of cancer in our home and we had no problem selling it several years later.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Katrinca

My husband wants to die at home. That was my plan until a friend told me that if I want to sell my house at a later date - that is a big mistake as I have to disclose that someone died in the home and that this could deter potential buyers. Do I have to make my decision on that, when his wishes are to die at home? I don't want to face not being able to sell my home??? I'm so confused about making the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons! Any one face this?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Liz R

If I was buying a house where someone last wishes had been carried out I don't think I would be bothered. I would look on it as a home of love and compassion...

Contrarily I am still wondering if I can bring myself to look after Dad at home in his last few days but watching him slowly starve... not sure that's a memory I would like to have of him, plus we just wouldn't have the same back-up to hand than if he were in a pallitive bed.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

I want to die at home under my own conditions MY WAY! Hubby has no qualms about it......
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Felicia

Katrinca,

As Megan stated, it may be different for each state. Yes, in CA you have to disclose a death, even if it was a natural death, if it has been less than three years. I have been talking with a Realtor about selling. I told her my Mom passed away here and how it happened. She was touched by our Loving story, and said it wouldn't be a problem to most people.

As a buyer, it wouldn't bother me at all if it was a natural death, and my Realtor assured me that most people feel this way. I don't think you will have a problem selling your house because your husband passed away there. Don't let it stop you from keeping him home if that's what you want to do. One or two buyers may care, but not the majority. And when they find out what a loving home it was, they will hopefully think about that more than the death.

Felicia
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Higgins

Its been an very strange to hear this kind of stories.
I had an witness of same kind of story but its very danger story.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Cecilia, aka, Ces

Katrinca

It is never a good idea to let a loved one die at home if you want to sell your home at a later date. After you disclose that someone died in the home, not only will the potential buyer would not want to buy, but there are some people upon learning of someone dying at a home that is one the selling block, would have reservations about living there.

These kinds are those who have an uneasiness about living in the home of a person who died at a home that have been sold.

If on the other hand, you have no intention of selling your home, then by all means, it is okay to let your husband die at home.

Hope this helps. Good luck and take care.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Bob V

I understand your husband wants to stay in his home until his death, but it would beter for you and him if he died in Hopise Care. My love one would like to stay in our home as long as he can, and we have made arrangements for that by adding a first floor addition with wheel chair access and long term care at home. However, we decide at the end he won't know either way and he would be more comfortable in hospise and give me time to deal with our last moments toegther.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Liz R.
I think the decision of where to spend one's last days is wonderful if it can be a joint decision of all involved.

I suggest contacting your local Hospice program. They do either and can help with the pros and cons.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Megan L

This may also be a state by state case. In California, if the death happened 3 years or more when selling, it does not need to be disclosed.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Valerie1

There are many different ideas/comfort levels for many different people. From the individuals who want to die at home to the family and caregivers that will have to deal with loss of their loved one at home.

I had the opportunity to experience my father's passing at home. I would not have changed not one thing about it. We were able to honor his wishes, and be assured that his loved ones surrounded him in his final moments. For me...it was a wonderful experience to be able to hold him and speak to him as he physically left our lives. Absolutely NO regrets. We briefly mourned the loss of his physical presence but I believe that his passing at home around his loved ones allowed everyone to rapidly let go of the sadness of the loss and get on with the celebration of his life.

We chose to have Hospice in our home and their support was wonderful. I am on this site as a newbie and will soon be facing the same choices with my mom who has AD. I believe each person/family should evaluate the final process for themselves and decide what is best for them.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Liz R

Sad to say my father passed peacefully away before they were due to transfer him to a palliative care unit, early this am (1.05am UK time).

A heartfelt thanks from me and family to those of you who offered advice and support, you are all in my thought tonight.

Bless You.

Liz R

× Close Menu