Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Off the meds and on Hospice
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:37 PM
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Dear CB: Wow! This was a great thread to read. I am so very glad to hear how wonderful things are going.

Sometimes I think we forget that meds can become part of a problem. That you have had such a marvelous turnaround with your DH is a blessing with unlimited value.

I am sending a big hug for you and am also delighted to hear how much hospice is able to be of assistance.

You have been doing a terrific job and are a wonderful loving person and effective advocate. Your husband has been blessed beyond all to have you by his side.

I wish you only the very best,

Johanna C.
Peer Volunteer
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Dear Crazy Blonde,

It's good to hear that things are going well with hospice. They are angels.

Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Sounds like your hubby is comfortable. That's great.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Crazy Blonde

12-4 was my LO's first day off his Aricept and Namenda and also a reduction in some of his other meds like Lovaza, Cerefolin and Omeprazole and a slight decrease in digoxin and lopressor and the next day started on Hospice. I have been scared waiting for the other shoe to drop but he was not doing well on the AD meds and his problems just kept getting worse, especially the Bad-Boy spells. So dr. agreed and here we are two weeks later and actually we both are doing marvelous!

The hospice nurse and aide have certainly made a huge difference. He now has the added interaction with others besides me and I am getting the much needed help which lightens my load. I am doing the hospice at home and it is working great so far. It's a little crazy trying to have such a dramatic change in your life but it is all for the better.

As for being off the meds, the dr. warned that he was going to decline quickly once they are out of his system. Well, actually things have gotten better. He is so much sweeter now most of the time -- have only had two bad-boy episodes in two weeks and not as bad as they used to be. He no longer poops in his Depends but actually manages to get to the pot. He even tries now to get to the pot to pee and it bothers him to pee in his pants. Amazing!

He still has a problem with getting the right words out and speaks crazy, etc., but he is definitely more like the sweet man I married. And that has lightened my mood as well. This is really one big mystery and only time will tell I guess.

The only thing that continues is the dripping nose and my problems remembering to check pockets before doing the laundry and having a dryer screen full of TISSUES!!!!! Small problem and I wish for his sake the dripping nose would stop, but hey, all else considered, it is all so much better.

"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" Phillippians 4:13

× Close Menu