Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Re: Having a crisis plan for your grieving family member
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:55 PM
Originally posted by: Deirdre44

Good info. Thank you. I was just thinking about this yesterday. People cannot understand how horrible this can be. I can be fine, and ok with things. But then a few things go wrong, and it seems SO bad. There needs to be help like this.
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:55 PM

Originally posted by: Jason W. Weill

Often something family members do not think about after losing a loved one to Alzheimers is that they do not have a Suicide Prevention plan for those family members who are depressed. Having attended the ASIST-Applied Suicide Conference this past June in Baton Rouge which is our state capital in Louisiana, I became empowered about being able to prevent myself, a voc-rehab consumer or anyone I know from committing Suicide.

As many of you know, I have dealt with grief for 10 years when I lost my Granny Ann Singleton in February, 1998 which was the week before Mardi Gras and after lashing out at my parents by not coming with them to the Mardi Gras parades, I felt a major burden of guilt for
10 years.

Having a crisis plan is critical, especially if you do not want to activities with the rest of the family on Holidays such as Mardi Gras.

For me personally, I always plan on being out of town when Mardi Gras occur because it helps
clear your mind of the guilt that you are dealing with. Also, I would have the phone numbers handy to crisis lines such as the Alzheimers association, state crisis phone counseling center and the Suicide hotline; it is very critical during that period you "Keep the Lines Warm". In other words, please reach out to one another when in crisis because it could be the difference between life and death.

× Close Menu