Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
recognize
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:30 PM
Originally posted by: butterflyznbeez

Brittany M...

What is the name of the medicine that your husband's grannie changed to that helped her keep her memories? I know its not a guarantee but would like to investigate.

Thanks,
Julie
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Maral51

The not recognizing family members is that something that happens all of a sudden or is it gradual? Moms memory is getting so much worse. Yesterday my son came over said hi to her and went outside . He came again a couple more times but stayed outside working on his car. Mom did not remember him coming in the house and seeing him. I am so scared one of these days she won't know who I am.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Brittany M

My husbands grannie did not remember us a few times last month, they changed her medication, she has not forgotten us since. I think in her case the NH was over medicating her and the symptoms seemed worse very quickly, if she recently had a medication change you might want to look at that..
Anonymous
Originally posted by: barbara McG

Hi Maral51,

My mom doesn't remember who I am, and I live with her. For the past 6 months plus she has thought that I was her (deceased) sister, and calls me by her name. I don't correct her because that brings about fear, sorrow, and brings up the stress of the memory loss. Instead, I just go along, and we have wonderful days -most of the time!

She doesn't remember other family members much either, there are lots of young women - her grandaughters that help out. She will visit with them for hours, and watch them drive away and as she is waving she will say to me, "now who was that girl", and I will remind her and share stories.
I think at first it was hard for them, but they have adjusted to it now.

I cannot deny the sadness, but my goal is to make my mom comfortable, and eliminate anxiety.

The underlying thing is the warmth, love, nurturing, and lots of smiles.
best wishes to all of us!
babz
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Crystal S

I think it is probably a little different for everyone. In my grandmother's case, I remember sitting with her at the kitchen table in the very beginning, and she would ask, "What's his name again?" in regards to my husband. I didn't think much of it at first because she wasnt around him often and we were newlyweds, but then 5 minutes later she would ask the same question. She still seemed to know that she knew certain people but just couldn't remember their names. Then she pretty much thought every woman was my aunt and every child was my cousin. Now, in the end stages, every once in awhile she will get this look on her face like she recognizes us, but since she rarely says actual words, she cannot express it. It is heartbreaking, but I live for those few moments when her face lights up and she holds her arms out for me to come to her. It is one of the hardest things in the world when your grandmother, who you grew up around and did everything with, doesn't know you Frowner

× Close Menu