Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Dehydration and eating problems
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:37 PM

Originally posted by: Donna S.

I was just reading about a lady not drinking enough. Well my mother doesn't hardly drink at all. She also doesn't care for meat, I think the texture bothers her. She is 88, in a WC with multiple problems plus Alzheimers. She now eats watermelon and other fruits several times a day and with meals. I also sneak in an extra egg in the morning as well as puddings and other proteins besides meat. I am so worried about skin breakdown
Anonymous
Originally posted by: InMemoryOf

Although you may heard this before, ice chips, popsicles, watermelon ( is amost pure water, anyway )and repeated attempts to spread saturated paper towels with water over the lips will help. Will she not eat any thing else at all? If she is dysphagic, you must exercise total caution, if not try anything. Bottom line regrettably, is that you cannot force someone to eat although using 'tricks' to ensure adequate protein intake is acceptable in the AD population where judgment is impaired. If she will drink, at least she gets protein shakes daily.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: KML

How about jello? It's easy to get down and does provide some hydration. There are all the wonderful flavors in little premade cups, even sugarless. My dad likes those alot. Seems more appealing to him than just drinking water. Puddings are great, too, and fruit.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: CindyV.

Hi Donna,

Adding the fruit is an excellent way to get more fluids into your Mom...great idea!!

Concerns about skin break down: the only thing I can suggest is to make sure she stays dry and pad (foam or sheep skin) her wheel chair seat.

Also, I noticed that this was your first post. Welcome to the message boards Big Grin Please consider posting your questions and concerns on the Caregivers Forum. There are many, many wonderful people (also caregivers) who will be able to provide you with much insight. Best of all (to me) they will be very supportive and encouraging.

Again, welcome!

Cindy
Anonymous
Originally posted by: barbara McG

Hi,
I have found with my mom that she claims to never be hungry and if asked will refuse food. instead, I just prepare meals and cut them up and put the plate down - then I call her to the table. She eats! It is amazing - ironically, i spend decades in the human service field, and I strived to empower the people I worked with by giving them choices. Well is just doesn't work with mom. I just prepare the food, tell her what it is if she asks, and enjoy watching her enjoy her meal!

Also, I will offer my mother a glass of "wine" (sparkling apple juice) every evening. she loves it, and i can get her to have a second one occasionally.
I also am able to give her sleepytime tea in the evening. I fix a pot so we both have some - i add honey, and give her a cup. when she asked me what it is - i tell her tea - she says "i don't like tea" - i tell her to try it because I put some honey in it, and i give her some cookies. And soon enough she starts to drink the tea, dunks the cookies, and as she gets half way down - i fill it up again and she ends up drinking about 1.5 cups of herbal tea!

It doesn't always work but nothing always works!

I do like the idea of the frozen ensure. i give it to my mom and tell her it is a vanilla milkshake.
babz
Anonymous
Originally posted by: scubadiva

My father is gone now...but one way we would get nutrients in him is Ensure. We would save yogurt cups and freeze the Ensure and then soften it a bit. It's like icecream. You can add fruit to it... or just freeze yogurt...it's just like ice cream...or even make egg nog this way she gets protein from the eggs (Salmonella [Sp?]) is pretty rare from homemade...unless the egg is cracked. Use whole milk., sugar, vanilla and 2 eggs in a blender add crushed ice for more water..
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Stevesdawg

I've just recently realized that my dad will eat more if, during meals, all the food is right there on the table in sight. Dad loves Chinese food but would rather eat at home, so we get take out. I was puzzled about why he only wanted one helping of everything and then declared he was full, because that was so unlike him. When we had the leftovers reheated another night, instead of being in the take-out containers (which he compulsively closes after getting a serving) everything was in open bowls right there on the table, and he ate and ate and ate!!! Even DAD commented about how good everything was and how hungry he was, as he helped himself to second and third servings. Weight loss and lack of appetite have been a problem, so I was tickled to see him eating like himself again. (He has no health issues yet, thankfully.)

I've been trying to keep everything on the table during meals and snacks since then, and he's eating dramatically more. I know he often complains of not being hungry anymore, and I'm thinking when the food was out of sight, it was also out of mind for him and rather than decide, he just always said he was full?? It's a bit more trouble, since with just the two of us I have always been lazy and just dished things up from the stove, but it's WELL WORTH washing a few extra serving dishes to see him eating well again! (Interesting coincidence -- my dad's mother NEVER served ANY meal from the stove!! Whether we were having make-it-yourself sandwiches in the kitchen for lunch or a big holiday dinner, EVERYTHING was ALWAYS on a plate or serving dish, and on the table -- even sliced bread!)

Hope this might help someone else as well.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Maral51

I also give my mom Sleepy time tea every night she says it helps her sleep.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: sheena

My mom has been living with me for almost 7 years. She has advanced Alzheimer's and I feel I have learned alot on my own, since she is always with me. She is 91 and doesn't like to drink water. I give my mom ensure every day and mix it 1/2 with water. I want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. She also likes crystal light granules mixed in water with some ice. I crush all her medicines in an apothecary marble container with ladle. They sell them at those kitchen stores. I mix her meds with applesauce and a little water or ensure plus mixed in. I give her alot of fruited yogurt, bananas with a little peanut butter on top. She likes milk mixed with her ensure plus also. She eats eggs (in moderation) To be honest, she eats everything I do. Soups are great, but add some saltines and watch the sodium content. Try to get low sodium soups, or make your own. Mom is usually tired in the evening so I fix her a nice plate with everything I've made and I have a food processor by Braun that I pulverize it in. It comes out creamy and she will eat alot more then if I try to give it to her in its original state. I have learned so many, many tips to make my life easier and my mom's. I give her liquid vitamins (Complete Liquid Nutrition) which I get at Costco. I give her 3 tablespoons each day, plus I give her 2 super b complex.,1 vitamin B12,1 occuvite (for her eyes), 81 mg aspirin,1 vitamin B1 (prescription), and 2 Kirkland calcium chews chocolate flavor, sugar fee. Mom had a complete blood test on everything recently and it was perfect! I am a firm believer in good food and vitamins. She goes everywhere I go and when we are home I play alot of Irish songs for her, as she likes them so much.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: AD Daughter

To Sheena: You are a true child of God. You should be so proud of your efforts. You are a wonderful daughter.

× Close Menu