Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Turning off faucets
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:50 PM

Originally posted by: Laura620

So - I'm posting for my mom. Recently my dad has been leaving the faucets running full force to the point where the bathrooms have flooded and my mom is left with quite a mess to clean up. This is happening when they are both at home. Reminders have not helped (obviously) and neither have notes left on the bathroom mirrors. My mom is considering installing the types of faucets found in public restrooms that shut off automatically - although we are not sure if this is affordable or even feasible for residential use. Does anyone have any ideas about how to address this?

Thanks,
Laura - 77 year old dad with Alz.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: SherylS

quote:
I thought I had troubles when Mom pushed down the toaster before putting in the bread which caused the bread to burn immediately.

Off topic: My toaster stopped working when we had out of town kids here for a week. I've lost 5# so far, without the toaster, and have no intentions of replacing it! Toast and peanut butter or jam were my favorite 'comfort food'.....
Anonymous
Originally posted by: FluffyChenille

quote:
Originally posted by DLMifm:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura620:
So - I'm posting for my mom. Recently my dad has been leaving the faucets running full force to the point where the bathrooms have flooded and my mom is left with quite a mess to clean up. This is happening when they are both at home. Reminders have not helped (obviously) and neither have notes left on the bathroom mirrors. My mom is considering installing the types of faucets found in public restrooms that shut off automatically - although we are not sure if this is affordable or even feasible for residential use. Does anyone have any ideas about how to address this?

Thanks,

There are Leak Frog LF001 Water Alarms which sit on the floor near where water may overflow. Little dome like thingees that blast an very load alarm when they sense water, put near toilet, bath sink, kitchen sink, washing machine etc.

They are cheap $14.00 Amazon

Shutting water facet off doesn't solve depends in the toilet, wash clothes in the kitchen sink.

Wish I had had one last month. Put a wash load in machine Thursday AM went to get wash Friday night (midnight) looked down the stairs; cellar was flooded (3 maybe 4 inches of water over the entire floor) Washing machine had not shut off and was filling and filling the cellar.

Dave

I have one of those...saved our basement from flooding many times. Just last week with all the rain that little cheap alarm let us know and we were down there ahead of a disaster. Great little device...if you are home when it goes off that is.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: DLMifm

quote:

Thanks,

There are Leak Frog LF001 Water Alarms which sit on the floor near where water may overflow. Little dome like thingees that blast an very load alarm when they sense water, put near toilet, bath sink, kitchen sink, washing machine etc.

They are cheap $14.00 Amazon

Shutting water facet off doesn't solve depends in the toilet, wash clothes in the kitchen sink.

Wish I had had one last month. Put a wash load in machine Thursday AM went to get wash Friday night (midnight) looked down the stairs; cellar was flooded (3 maybe 4 inches of water over the entire floor) Washing machine had not shut off and was filling and filling the cellar.

Dave
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by EarChat:
From Grassflower post above:
http://alzstore.com/alzheimers...c-faucet-control.htm

thank you for the link.
Now I know why I could not find the product on the Alzheimer's Association site. The Alzheimers Store says they are not connected at all. The Alzheimers Store, is an Ageless Design Company.

I called The Alzheimers Store this morning to find the packing and shipping costs. This $15 item costs $10.00 to ship.
Amazon has it for $16 and $7.00 shipping (no prime available).
The $10.00 is a minimum UPS charge so if you by two + the AStore is a good deal.
Amazon also has a Smart Faucet Shut Off Kit for $15.00 similar with the activator outside the aerator. prime shipping program available

Thanks for the link. I would never had picked the correct search words.

DLM
Anonymous

quote:
So...I ordered the faucet product from the Alzheimer's Store and they are working like a charm. Just thought I'd follow up. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about.

Laura,
Dad, 77, with Alz.

I still haven't ordered Leak Frog LF001 Water Alarms which sit on the floor near where water may overflow. We had the grand kids from Oregon this past week. The five year old couldn't get the faucet in bathroom to close. No overflows but brought back the need for a faucet product.

Which Alzheimer's Store did you find the auto shut off? I Googled for Alzheimer's Store and up came a dozen stores. When to alz.org and their web site is ..... couldn't find the faucet thing.

Dave
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Rose_Ro

quote:

Thanks,

reminders will not help.

Is he on meds?

This was one of the first of my mom's symptoms.

Being on meds might help. My mom does it every once in a while, but not like she used to.
Anonymous

quote:
The product does have a stick-like thing protruding from it. It is maybe 3 or 3.5 inches long. I haven't noticed that the flow is diminished. Basically, you take off the aerator from the faucet and screw on the product. You turn the faucet on to the desired strength/temperature and the water only flows once you push the stick to the front, back or either side. You can use the back of your hand and wash hands normally. Once the stick goes back to its original position, the water shuts off.

Laura

Thanks for the information. She and guests never fully shut the hot water off. One more PIA problem solved.

I went to H depot (H as in H_ll). the greeter guessed at the plumbing department. Described the product to the clerk, he'd never heard of such a thing but he helped me searched through the row and then we searched the faucet area. No luck. Hour's time lost. Did buy some house paint, however <G>

I went back to Amazon and got a Smart Faucet Shut Off Kit which is similar with the shut off stick to the side. LO stands at sink and runs rinse water into her ostomy pouch from the bottom of the aerator. It is a process I don't like but have come to live with. Changing diapers on babies never had the smell.... How she has come to accept this is a wonder to me, she handles it so well.

"You don't ask - you don't get ~ help" If you don't watch and observe closely - you don't know help is needed.

Dave
Anonymous
Originally posted by: dayn2nite

quote:
The product does have a stick-like thing protruding from it. It is maybe 3 or 3.5 inches long. I haven't noticed that the flow is diminished. Basically, you take off the aerator from the faucet and screw on the product. You turn the faucet on to the desired strength/temperature and the water only flows once you push the stick to the front, back or either side. You can use the back of your hand and wash hands normally. Once the stick goes back to its original position, the water shuts off.

Laura

I used these when my mom was still at home - even with the shipping from the Alz Store it was worth it, especially when considering how much a water-damaged floor in an old house would cost to repair.
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by Linda Dianne:
Laura
If your faucets has shut off knobs under cabneits you can turn them off and put some wet wipes on cabniets for cleaning hands. I hope you can find something that will work. Bless your mom heart. Your sis in alz Linda Dianne

I used the under cabinet shut offs for a while. PIA for others using the faucets. Plus the usual little shut off valves are not designed to be used except for faucet repairs. They are prone to leaking at the valve if used every day.

Question: If I use one of the devices that has a lever protruding from it's center. How long dos it make the length of the faucet.

I am concerned that it might go to far down into the bathroom sink. Also does it restrict (cut down) the water flow?

DLM
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by SherylS:
quote:
I thought I had troubles when Mom pushed down the toaster before putting in the bread which caused the bread to burn immediately.

Toast and peanut butter or jam were my favorite 'comfort food'.....

Totally addicted to peanut butter and crackers. LO gets up in early hours, I get to accompany her, while waiting can't pass the fridge, can't stop eating a half dozen P&B crackers. I'll pace if I run out.

Then I have to remember to check bathroom, flush T and shut off dripping faucet. Long night last night. 3AM. Pee call, 3:30 LO standing in front of me wet depends in one hand dry pair in other asking what am I supposed to be doing... 4:30 get dry depends on.. LO back to Bathroom to drain ostomy pouch. 5:00 back to bed listen to LO repeating I can't keep doing this to you. Give LO a big hug. Cat nap until 07:00 brew fresh coffee. Start a new day. 07:15 Town road construction crew starts jack-hammering in front of house. Truck parked in reverse with back-up alarm beepinq away,

Good news sun is shining and weather forecast is good.

DLM
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by Stressed to the Max:
The bathtub still gave us issues. I caught her, more than once, hopping in the tub in the middle of the night.

A couple of choices:
Put a frog water alarm in the empty tub.
get a water alarm for the tub

dlm
Anonymous
Originally posted by: EarChat

From Grassflower post above:

Anonymous
Originally posted by: Grassflower

From the Alz store:

They may have other models as well. And I know other posters have dealt with this, and I'm sure they'll have additional ideas.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: *Linda*

Hi Laura,

A quick search at the alzstore website shows they sell such a device. It states "For those who have trouble adjusting the water temperature, turning the handles, or who may forget and leave the water running the Automatic Faucet Control is just what the doctor ordered."

It is pretty reasonably priced, too. At $14.95 it sounds worth a try. Good luck.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Stressed to the Max

I got the Sloan for the bathroom sink for my mom. The kind they have in public facilities where your hands have to be under it to work. Just watched her with the kitchen one. The bathtub still gave us issues. I caught her, more than once, hopping in the tub in the middle of the night.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Cathy J. M.

I've wondered about this too. However, it seems likely that your dad needs someone at his side all the time. So to cover more bases at once, it might be a better investment to hire a caregiver. That way your mom can do some other things she wants to do, and your dad will have someone watching to be sure he's safe and doing something he likes.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Linda Dianne

Laura
If your faucets has shut off knobs under cabneits you can turn them off and put some wet wipes on cabniets for cleaning hands. I hope you can find something that will work. Bless your mom heart. Your sis in alz Linda Dianne
Anonymous

Thank you. I have ordered the faucet product...I will keep you posted!

Laura
Anonymous

So...I ordered the faucet product from the Alzheimer's Store and they are working like a charm. Just thought I'd follow up. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about.

Laura,
Dad, 77, with Alz.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: VKB

Laura, I thought I had troubles when Mom pushed down the toaster before putting in the bread which caused the bread to burn immediately.

Glad you found a good solution.

Godspeed, Veronica
Anonymous

Laura

× Close Menu