Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
My mom made her own toast today! Coconut?
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 3:03 AM

Originally posted by: Deirdre44

My mom made her own toast today and I almost couldn't believe my eyes. Dressing was an amazing step.

This is another. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

She has been on Namenda for a long time, and is on 5 mg of Aricept for the moment, because 10 mg seemed to bother her stomach.

But I was reading Dr Newport's blog the other day. I didn't realize people use more than coconut oil. I thought it was ''just'' coconut oil and Axona etc.

I had this GREAT yogurt yesterday ''coconut'' flavor by Liberte. It has coconut milk in it. Afer reading the info the night before, I went out and bought more of the yogurt, coconut milk, coconut juice. She had some this morning, Oh, and also the MCT came Friday. She took some Friday and yesterday.

Who knows? I have just not seen her make toast in 7 months or more. We'll see what happens!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Rose_Ro

ES, What is horchata? Love cinnamon.

J wright, most of the stores around here have coconut milk in many forms.

Good place to start,

http://www.coconutketones.com/
Anonymous

As I posted Tuesday morning (yesterday), I came down to see my mom not only pressing the lever of the toaster with authority, but trying to figure out how to work the stove. To remember. She was just looking at it. Two eggs were in a bowl waiting to be stirred. I asked her later if she had broken the eggs herself and put them in a bowl. She said yes. She wanted to make an egg sandwich for my father, while he was at the barber. Amazing. everything is slow, but an improvement over 4 months ago! She couldn't dress herself fully before the aricept (and then exelon)

I didn't remember (until I checked the post above) that it's only been about 9 weeks since she made her own toast.

She and my father have done a lot of things together, recently. I think that helps her a LOT. she had to do a lot less when the aricept was bothering her stomach.
Anonymous

It's me again, lol.

I remembered this post. The changes have been so appreciated.

She is now on the exelon patch, because the 10 mg of aricept really bothered her.

She makes her own toast, does the dishes a few times a week. She doesn't change the channel much, but it's a pain in the neck kind of remote.

I've posted about some of the other good things - going to Novena, to Mass, to my sister's with just my Dad (she used to need me, too), to my niece's concert, other good things.

She has no intention of driving again, thankfully!

When people see her, they are so impressed. Thank God, and for the info available here and other places.

And thanks JAB, you helped ''us'' switch to the patch (and the other posters)
Anonymous
Originally posted by: j wright

Deirdre44,
where did you hear about coconut milk and products? can you tell me a bit more..I'll pick up some tomrrow! So happy for your mom, huge step. Yea!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: eloquentsolution

nice report, diedra. i use all coconut products as well...coconut milk beverage (mild replacement), ice cream, oils for cooking, baking, candy making, smoothie blends....you name it.

also, you might try adding cinnamon to the regime. i make horchata for mom with whole cinnamon sticks the are then whizzed in the blender with the rice. i sweeten with local honey, which has helped with her allergies.

please continue to keep us posted.
Anonymous

My mom went into work today Smiler

I posted about it here. I am very emotional Smiler

http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/e...4102241/m/4024029387
Anonymous

My mom read the paper Monday a lot. Read a magazine. remembers a lot of info.

Washes the dishes regularly. Tuesday (yesterday), she peeled the zucchini, and cut it, and then cut the slices in half. Mixed the pasta and sauce and cut the chicken (already cooked) up. She did some more things (oh, she hid her favorite blue shirt so I wouldn't take it to wash it! Smiler

I am just so amazed. She could barely put her on shoes on at the beginning of September.

(I do take the zucchini out, and wash it, and get the knife and board out).
Anonymous
Originally posted by: fch

My mom is going to be put on the Exelon patch without Aricept. What are the good things you have seen or heard about Exelon.
Anonymous

Oh! And to top it off, as she was making it, and I said, ''Mom! You're making your own toast'' Smiler she said to me, without turning to face me, ''I have to be independent!'' just like a teen-ager Smiler Just kept working on making her toast!

When she does these things, it's almost like she never realized she stopped at some point.

And she's always surprised when I help her with anything. Like, why are you helping me? Only that she needed a LOT of help a short time ago!
Anonymous

Perhaps it's the aricept...The other day, within 15 after the aricept dose, she did the dishes!

Yesterday, within 15 minutes of the Aricept, she actually changed the TV channel with the remote! May not seem like much - but that's huge!

It may be a year since she's changed the channel herself. "All'' she did was hit the ''back'' button on the remote (and it's a pretty big remote from Comcast, I didn't know she knew where it was!)

In fact, I asked her a few months ago to give me the remote off the shelf, so I could change the channel for her. She was standing near the shelf and turned to me with a lipstick in her hand Smiler ''this?''

(after about 6 - 7 weeks of 5 mg of aricept, she was able to go up to 10 mg)

× Close Menu