Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
B12 shot and success
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 4:49 AM

Originally posted by: youngwinney

I just wanted to post our success with our mom who was diagnosed 10 yrs ago. We started her on B12 shots a couple months ago and have seen a tremendous improvement in her. Her ability to put words together her alertness and her walking with assistance is so much better. Just wanted to let people know that this might be something that other people might want to try
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 4:50 AM
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

B-12 is water soluable so no chance of over dosing....Pills or injectable? I get the injectable every month.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Another viewpoit. Granted B-12 deficiency can cause dementia symptoms, but I'm conservative. Can her doctor order the blood test to see what her present levels are?
Anonymous

Good for you!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Dear Weeping Willow: Welcome to this wonderful Online Community - we are delighted you have found us.

I am an RN whose mother had FrontoTemporal Demenia and whose step-dad has Alzheimer's Disease.

It sounds as though your father has Vascular Dementia (caused by strokes). I would strongly recommend asking your physician about the B12.

There are people who are VERY low on B12 and who have pernicious anemia - if the level is very low, the lack can cause a false dynamic similar to dementia. Stringent B12 injections and then sublingual B12 are used and monitored by an MD. When the levels come up, the symptoms disappear.

Unfortunately, this would not be of assistance in treating dementia unless there was a very low level of B12 found in blood test.

One must be careful taking the B vitamins. If too much is ingested, even though it is water soluble, there are still side effects which can be serious.

So, next doctor's visit, you can ask about this and othr things that may be helpful. Neurology is excellent at medications and separating the wheat from the chaff.

I would like to invite you to go to the Caregiver's Forum and initiate a new Discussion. You are more or less "buried" in this thread, you will get many more responses by initiating a Discussion on the Caregiver's Forum.

Just go to the top of the page and click on the red bar that says, "Start a New Discussion or Poll"; you will then see a purple bar; click on "Discussion."

You will then have two boxes. Put your title in the smaller box and then begin your discussion in the larger box and VOILA!

We are glad to have you amongst us and are looking forward to getting to know you a bit better.

Best wishes,

Johanna C.
Peer Volunteer
Anonymous

Hi Huna,
Welcome to our Forum. We're glad you found us.
I hope B12 shots are only available at physicians offices if a deficiency has been found.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Hi Auntie Anne: Welcome to this marvelously supportive Online Community. We are glad that you have found us.

As to the B vitamins - it is helpful if there is a B complex deficiency or pernicious anemia. If one is over taking the B vitamin, even though it is water soluble, it can present some difficulty with side effects.

Next doctor's appointment, ask the doctor about this and about how much B vitamin is being taken counting both the B vitamin AND what is in any other multivitamin.

It is good to have you here and I would like to invite you to begin your own Discussion on the Caregiver's Forum. This is where the majority of family members and caregivers communicate, and by initiating your very own Discussion, you will not get "lost" in another person's and you will get many more responses.

When you enter this site, you will see a grid - go to Caregiver's Forum and click on that.

Now go to the top of the page where a red bar says, Start a New Discussion or Poll. Click on that.

A purple bar will come up and say, Discussion. Click on that.

There will be two boxes. Enter the title of your discussion in the smaller box (it can be anything), and then click on the larger box and away you go with your own discussion. Many more will reply to you.

We are so delighted to have you amongst us and look forward to getting to know you a bit better.

Best wishes,

Johanna C.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Twice Blessed

I am so glad for you. My husband also suffers from low B12 and has taken the shots for several years. I cannot see any improvement, but he also suffers from AD along with the lack of B12. Had he not been taking the B12, he might be a lot worse. He has had AD 13 years.
Anonymous

I get the B-12 vials & my hubby gives me my shots.
Anonymous

I get B-12 Inj.as I have Pernisious amenia......
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Weeping Willow

Hi I am new to this site. My dad has AD and was always a vitamin nut. He has mini strokes to the brain which are causing the dementia. Would b-12 help this type of AD? Maybe since he was taking vitamins and then quit it effected him. Could this be possible?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

Many people over 50 can't absorb vitamin B12 from their stomachs, so they need injections of B12 or sublingual or nasal B12. The doctor can do a blood test and also check for anemia. It's very important because low vitamin B12 is one of the reversible causes of dementia, IF caught in time.

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Auntie Anne

I give my dad B complex every day, among other vitamins. He just had a blood test. Should I just call the doctor and see if he even has this deficiency first? I would love to use anything that helps. Thanks
Anonymous
Originally posted by: huna123

I wonder where I can go for B12 shots? Does anyone know where to get it?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Twice Blessed

I just happened to read an article about B12. If the shots are not given in the beginning of the disease, the shots will probably make little difference. I know my husband had the defencency for some time before it was caught.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: designated daughter

We just saw the neurologist yesterday and he ordered B12 tablets to boost my mother's level of 283 upwards to 400. He said he only gives the B12 shot to people with levels below 200. He said it should make a slight difference. She has been taking the Exelon patch and namenda since December 2008.
Anonymous

Pernisious anemia is a person does not have the intrinsic factor in the stomach.I have no intrinsic factor.....Only b-12 inj.will work....
Anonymous
Originally posted by: sur5011

My mom is a diabetic and is showing symptoms of alzeimer's and depression but as we live in Hong Kong Drs here do not find any co-relation to B-12.
Can I go ahead and try her on B12 shots?
I do not think there may be any side effects?
I am very sad to see her in such a state of foregetfulness.
It just started in earnest about two years ago.
Any suggestion or help would be very welcome.
Thanks.

hI livdnI
quote:
Originally posted by youngwinney:
I just wanted to post our success with our mom who was diagnosed 10 yrs ago. We started her on B12 shots a couple months ago and have seen a tremendous improvement in her. Her ability to put words together her alertness and her walking with assistance is so much better. Just wanted to let people know that this might be something that other people might want to try

× Close Menu